I fear I may have become a Gemaholic...

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
John N.

I fear I may have become a Gemaholic...

Post by John N. »

OK, so I got a Gem 1912 (NOS) a few weeks ago and loved it. An odd little hulk of a razor with a gold plated head and a big fat Bakelite handle. This relic from the distant past (early last century) gave me BBS shaves after a very short learning period; so when a pristine Microtech became available...well, it's now in my rotation. The M.tech is a newer (early 30's I think) TTO that seems to be a little more aggressive than the 1912. Both pieces give excellent results.
If you take your time, pay attention and focus on technique; these razors can be quickly mastered, give a great shave and are fun to use. Good blades in both stainless and carbon are available both online and at some chain drugstores.
Not to worry, I have not forsaken my fine DEs; it's just that my experience with the old Gems has been such a positive one I wanted to share it with you.
John N.
John N.

Post by John N. »

Correction to the above post:
The newer razor is called the Micromatic. :oops:
John N.
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

:D
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

John,

Good to have you among the SE users here at SMF. If you liked the 1912 so much you actually need to go to the older GEM lather catchers to get a real shaving experience.

They are what we call lather catcher style SE razors. And they provide some of the best shaves a man could want. Click on my shave stuff link in my sig line and the navigate to my SE razor section to see pix of what they look like.

As for the micromatic, well, I will say nothing further. For me that razor should be named a junkomatic. But since you like it and it works well for you so be it.

Glad you have come over to the SE side.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

When I can find good blades for it, the Micromatic is one of my favorite razors. A bit different than a DE, and a slight learning curve to become accustomed to it, but with the right blade, it's definitely worth it!

Enjoy your Gems!
Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

If you don't already have an injector razor, that's well worth trying, too.
jbc

Post by jbc »

Why do you like single edge razors mroe than double edge razors?
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
John N.

Post by John N. »

Pauldog wrote:If you don't already have an injector razor, that's well worth trying, too.
I have a Schick M series injector I got new in the distant past. Still part of my rotation, and still a fave. Do not want to start a panic here, but I was in a Bartell's Drugstore here in WA State, and found that they have discontinued carrying the Schick Injector (Chinese) blades. I naturally picked up their last three packs since they are the only brick & mortar that at least used to carry injectors. Hope they have not gone the way of ASR injectors. Anyone hear anything, please post. Seems I may have hijacked my own thread. :roll:
John N.
John N.

Post by John N. »

jbc wrote:Why do you like single edge razors mroe than double edge razors?
Not sure I do prefer SE to DE. I like and use them both. I do like the fact that SE blades are more rigid than DEs, and I enjoy using a razor made early in the last century. My oldest DE is a Super Adjustable Gillette (black handle) from the early 70's I believe.
John N.
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

jbc wrote:Why do you like single edge razors mroe than double edge razors?
b/c hes smart :lol:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I appreciate you SE guys hanging in there.
Regards,
Squire
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

youre next :mrgreen:
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

OK Dave, now don't berserk with my statement that follows.

I use SE razors about 3/4 of the time. That includes GEM, GEM Jr, Kampfe Bros, EverReady SEs and my two Injectors.

While the DE only gets 1/4 of the time I still get some great shaves with the 3 piece DEs and my co-fav razor is my '36 Gillette NEW, That goes with my '07 Elite GEM Jr lather catcher.

If I could have only two razors those would be the ones. So this SE convert still appreciates the shaves that come from a vintage DE as well.

If I were to buy another razor it would be one of the rare SEs that I see in TOS and on eBay. No more DEs for me.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I'd pretty much gone SE all the time...

...until I bought a slant. :lol:

I have since put the SEs away.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."