Help with DVD Drive on Dell computer

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Help with DVD Drive on Dell computer

Post by Sam »

Trying to watch a Sypderco DVD on my Dell tower computer and the DVD drive, (d) will not show a DVD in it. Running Windows XP and the program is Cyberlink Power DVD. Any suggestions?
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Sam, I also have a Dell tower with that program. Suggestions/thoughts:

Does the drive work with CDs?
Is this the only DVD that doesn't play?
Please expand on "will not show a DVD in it". Is the DVD recognized when in the drawer? Error messages? Controls inoperative?

Finally, I started the Cyberlink program and then put a DVD in the drawer. That worked. When I simply placed the DVD in the drive without the Cyberlink program already running, the DVD did not automatically start.
Last edited by kronos9 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sam - is replacing the computer an option? I'm just saying ....... :wink:

My dvd burner died in our home pc a few months back - but we haven't missed it, luckily.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I can not get the cyberlink program nor the computer to recognize anything in the DVD drive. Wonder if there is a driver issue?
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Sam wrote:I can not get the cyberlink program nor the computer to recognize anything in the DVD drive. Wonder if there is a driver issue?
Wouldn't hurt to check. Look under Programs | Dell Accessories | Driver Reset Tool. Or venture into the world of Control Panel.

It's sounding a little like your drive is dead. I was on my third CD burner in my old machine after ten (Yes, TEN!) years and from my experience, when they go, they go without warning. Fortunately, they're cheap and "easy" to replace.

Before you head to the computer store, open the case (with the power off) and make sure all the connections to the drive are secure. If, when you turn it back on (you can keep the cover off), there is no change, well then at least you've started the replacement process.
Ed
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Sam, it sounds silly, but...

...try cleaning the CD. And, if you have a can of compressed air, cleaning out the player.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ed, it lights up and plays CDS in the dvd slot.
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

A couple of Google searches and it looks like you're not the first to experience this. Short story, the drive is most likely about to join its ancestors. The CD yes, DVD no, issue was something I learned today.

From a video forum
From 2004 but same issue
Some Device Manager fun

And paperpundit's suggestion is worth a try.

Hope some of this helped.
Ed
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

paperpundit wrote:Sam, it sounds silly, but...

...try cleaning the CD. And, if you have a can of compressed air, cleaning out the player.
Did both. The DVD was new and played in another computer. Just did the compressed air.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

People still use physical media on their computers?
Richard
crankymoose

Post by crankymoose »

If the drive is not being recognized at all and you have Cyberlink on XP I am willing to bet the filter registry keys got corrupted either by Cyberlink or some antivirus programs can do it when removing them.

Here is a Microsoft article on it, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461
it is fairly common on Windows XP and older machines, I haven't seen it happen on Vista or Win7, if you do a Google search you will see more re-same issue, the fix is easy just perhaps print it out first
Jim
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

Sata cable could be the problem as well.