Any other blades I should try?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Tuney

Any other blades I should try?

Post by Tuney »

My 100 pack of feathers is almost out - 10 blades left... so I was wondering if there were any other blades I should try before going to a 100 pack of feathers... I've been on the feathers for over a year now - since west coast shaving stopped carrying the Gillette Swedes which where my favorites. But I also like the feathers.

Like:
Feather
Gillette Platinum (Swedes)

Blades I've tried for 1-2 shaves(or so long ago I can't remember) and I am on the fence about:
Gillette 7Oclock SharpEdge (Yellow)
Israeli Personna (Although I have a hundred of these, just haven't been using them)
Crystal Israeli

I've tried and didn't like(as much as the feathers/Swedes):
Merkur
Derby
Bic
Sharp
Dorco ST300
Wilkinson
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Given your preferences, you may want to try the Super Iridiums. Also, possibly, Kai.

I doubt that you'll find anything else sharp enough, given what you seem to like in blades.

Enjoy your shaves!
druphus

Post by druphus »

BeatlesFan wrote:Given your preferences, you may want to try the Super Iridiums. Also, possibly, Kai.

I doubt that you'll find anything else sharp enough, given what you seem to like in blades.

Enjoy your shaves!
+1 to this.
Regards,
Andy
kenstee

Post by kenstee »

Not much talk about them here. But, try Bluebirds. My new go-to blade. Sharp but very smooth.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I also agree with BeatlesFan.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tuney the only blades as sharp as Feather would be vintage blades such as Wilkinson, Gillette or Schick.
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Since you like the Feather, you might like the Kai.

Since you liked the Swedes, you might like the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black box).

The 7 O'Clock blacks are my favorites.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
kevtex

Post by kevtex »

The Treet Classic Dura Sharp give me three or four nice shaves. Here's a link to Squire's blade review.

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31349
Tuney

Post by Tuney »

Ok I ordered some of these suggestions (all the ones I could find on west coast shaving) and I'll see how it goes. I look forward to trying the iridiums as they seem to be highly regarded. Unfortunately Kai wasn't available on the site. I think testing two other blades (7oclock blacks and Iridiums against my last two packs of Feathers will be a good start. Then I'll throw in a couple shaves with some randoms I have laying around to give the blades a chance to change my mind from previous experiences...

I could be testing blades for awhile...

PS. What are some recommended blades to give a beginner? My brother wants to try DE shaving. Usually when I loan out a shaver I give a few Derby's, a few Personna's and couple feathers because I have a rather large stock of those three. What are the blades beginners typically like?