time saving tips

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Oswald

time saving tips

Post by Oswald »

i know a lot of the SMF members shave with traditional products because they enjoy the experience, for me however its a necessity, i would compare my whiskers to straw which has been flattened into a crop circle and too much for your standards products to deal with

presently i have to get up at least half an hour earlier to have time to shave, i'm sure you all know how it goes;
hot shower, whip up and apply shaving cream, let the shaving cream sink in then standard 3 pass shave taking careful consideration of hairs growth, lathering up between each pass, cover the face in alum, clean up, moisturise, wait for face to settle before being able to put a shirt and tie on etc,
thinking about its probably longer than 30mins

i was just looking for some short cuts that wouldnt compromise the quality of the shave, cant shave in the evening as by afternoon next day i start looking really scruffy

you can get some really good shaving advice online, was just looking at this
http://www.grooming-health.com/shaving- ... php#basics
but for the most part it adds time rather than reduces it
Oswald
Oswald

Post by Oswald »

i just realised someone already asked this question, i was looking in the wrong place
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44769
Oswald
Greenhouse

Post by Greenhouse »

Oswald,

On days when I'm in a hurry, I do a single across-the-grain pass on my cheeks. I do two passes on the neck and area below the jawline: one with the grain and one against the grain. Finally, for the area around my lips and chin, I do two passes, but one section at a time. In other words, I shave the left side of my upper lip with the grain, then, if needed, I dab on a little more cream/soap and shave it across the grain. Then I move on to the right upper lip and do the same thing. I do this for all the areas around my lips and chin.

It might sound ambiguous, but I'm basically trying to get by withy a single pass, but I know I can't be satisfied with a single pass below the jawline and around my mouth and chin. For what it's worth, I have done a single with-the-grain pass everywhere and had passable results (when I'm in a real hurry).

Now, I normally do a two or three pass shave when I have the time, which is most days. For reference, I use a DE Merkur (38C), Simpsons shaving brush (Polo 8 best) and various creams and soaps.

- Greenhouse.
95%

Post by 95% »

You could probably save 5 to 7 minutes by rationalizing your routine. For example:

The night before, have all your paraphernalia laid out in the bathroom and ready for use.

Reduce your time in the shower. A shower needn't take more than 120 seconds.

Once you have lathered, begin shaving immediately. You don't need to wait for the soap to sink in.

Have you tried a Fusion ProGlide? It won't expedite the shave, but it will allow you to dispense with the alum block unless you're allergic to cartridge razors.

Your face doesn't need to "settle" before you dress. Twenty minutes for the whole routine should be enough time if you push things along.
Porter
King-D

Post by King-D »

Make it a one-pass shave. It's simple, enjoyable and traditional.
David

Shave in the shower!
giammi

Post by giammi »

I use the Futur. I increase the gap and go for a 2 pass shave. I could probably to this with any other adjustable razor, but I settled with this razor.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I just shave the night before 8)
Eric
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Never hurry. That's the most important thing. The time taken will shrink with experience. Or, with time you'll save time. . .

I think time can be saved from your routine with a few small tweaks. I'd shower the night before, for example, and shave in the morning if I needed to be nice and close. Or shave at night and shower in the morning, depending on the priority.

I'd also cut down on the passes. I like a nice three pass shave, but 9 times out of ten I'll do two passes, with and against the grain. The best speedy and results oriented shave (for me) is a one pass with the grain and then against the grain one my [Adams' apple to chin] section.

Last time I checked, I did two passes on my head (Fusion) and two on my face (Progress DE) in about 10 minutes, with lathering soap and brush, and applying Skin Food and clearing up. When I started with a DE and brush etc. I took 20 minutes for a three pass shave.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Grow a beard.

Buzz