rfid protection..now we can keep our old wallets

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
marsos52

rfid protection..now we can keep our old wallets

Post by marsos52 »

http://www.idstronghold.com/

this site has alot of info about rfid..and how products to guard againd rfid theft

they have special sleeves for keeping credit cards and licenses passports and id

not a lot of money either

a must have
marc
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Does anyone really believe in these sorts of threats? Really?

Nothing personal marc, but out of all the things to worry about this is really low on my list.

People posting all kinds of information about themselves on facebook and whatnot are a much higher threat to their id theft.
Richard
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

These threats are real, and are starting to spread in large urban areas. The good news is due to cost and complexity of the devices needed by thieves, it hasn't really spread outside of major cities, and most credit cards and ID cards do not have RF chips inside of them. If your credit/debit/ATM card has the capability of simply waving it in front of or just touching it to the terminal, it has an RF chip and care should be taken to block it's signal when in your wallet.

US military and DOD IDs also contain an RF chip, but the information on them is so strongly encrypted that even the military readers sometimes have problems reading them correctly.

Another good point is that if you carry 2 or more cards in your wallet that have RF chips, the signals will effectively scramble each other so that a thief won't get any usable information from any of them.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

I was recently taking a computer class to finish my degree. The instructor brought in a box and set it on the table in the middle of the class room. A little while later, he goes to his laptope and starts telling us things about our credit cards, (names, last 4 digits of the card, type of card, etc.....), work id information (company, name on ID, etc...) and other items that had RFID's attached to them.

He didn't tell us what he was doing originally, but it was still very interesting that the box was at least 10 feet away from each of us and it was still able to pick up the information that was in everyones wallets and bags. Of course he erased everything that his box had picked up, but it gave everyone a very uneasy feeling.

Oh, and he built this box himself from directions he found on the internet.

This is a very real threat. I wouldn't have believe it if I hadn't seen it for myself.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

thank you tom for the added info..

and yes richard this is more of a problem then you are thinking it is

these chips are just in the year 2010 started being used ...and right now
most of us dont have them in our card and id and licenses etc

but you will have then.. the people that are stealing info from them can buy scanners for as low as 10 dollars.. and some scanners can read these
chips as far as 60 feet away..even when there are in a wallet or your pocket etc etc

so you should raise your thinking and up it level of importance
your next drivers license may have one,,,and your next bamk card too

be aware
marc
crankymoose

Post by crankymoose »

lining your old wallet with aluminum foil is as effective and much cheaper,

if your credit card says 'blink" on it and has a little symbol next to it like a cell phone strength indicator it has an rfid chip in it
Jim
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Blink? Ok, post a pic of what this is?
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is very interesting. I wasn't aware of this until just now. Thanks.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

What I want to know -- is whether the RFID symbol is on all cards with such technology. I am wondering specifically, whether this is the same as the smartcard technology now in our bank cards here in Canada (and probably most other places as well). There is no symbol on the card, but you can't miss the smart chip --- it's honkin' huge.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
crankymoose

Post by crankymoose »

here is Chase Banks explanation of it but other banks use the same technology and have the word blink and that little symbol on them too.

http://www.chaseblink.com/
Jim
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Last edited by kronos9 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

acually if you line your wallet with aluminum foil ,,that may work and it may not and it probably is not..

if you did make a sleeve from aluminum foil and it was double thick and covered in duck tape and then covered with packing tape and all 4 sides around the sleeves are securely sealed that does work

one side not sealed and forget about it..i have seen this already

and yes smart cards are rfid chipped and the new change cards etc etc
with rfid chips are harder to tell that the chip is inbedded

marc
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I'm lining my hat with aluminum foil. :lol:
Richard
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

My wife and I have steadfastly refused to use debit cards, and have taken them back to the bank and asked for old fashioned ATM cards instead. I'm optimistic that a similar old school stance on credit cards can be maintained, thereby factoring out any other issues.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

ichabod wrote:My wife and I have steadfastly refused to use debit cards, and have taken them back to the bank and asked for old fashioned ATM cards instead. I'm optimistic that a similar old school stance on credit cards can be maintained, thereby factoring out any other issues.
I long for the days where we filled out paper slips and lined up at a teller for 20 minutes to withdraw $50 in cash. And bank books in their clear plastic covers, I miss those too.
Richard
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

richard you had to remind me of that

the good olde days,,what has happened to our world

marc
HAC

Post by HAC »

A lot depends on the type of RFID chip. Passive chips tend to have shorted range than semi-passive ones. (typically in the under 3-5 foot range, semi passive can go to 30 to 40 foot, and active chips to as much as 100 feet)The bad news is that some of the new active RFID chips have very long response ranges that can reach out to 150+ feet .
Good news is that the chips in credit cards tend to have to be small, and as such are passive ones with a low response ranges (5 foot in clear air is considered excellent).
A Faraday cage effectively defeats RFID sniffing, so any wallet that has that will work. The RFID chips in bank cards to not actively transmit, the response is triggered by a query from the reader. When radio waves from the reader are encountered by a passive RFID tag, the coiled antenna within the tag forms a magnetic field. The tag draws power from it, energizing the circuits in the tag. The tag then sends the information encoded in the tag's memory.

Active and semi-passive RFID tags use internal batteries to power their circuits. An active tag also uses its battery to broadcast radio waves to a reader, whereas a semi-passive tag relies on the reader to supply its power for broadcasting. Active tags can have range increased by using more input power, or a higher-gain internal antenna.

One of the issues we found when looking at an active asset tag management system (before retirement) is that the early wireless RFID readers transmitted tag data unencrypted to the base system (or at least they used to, not sure now). Solution was hard wired readers rather than wireless.

Cheers
Harold
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

crankymoose wrote:lining your old wallet with aluminum foil is as effective and much cheaper,

if your credit card says 'blink" on it and has a little symbol next to it like a cell phone strength indicator it has an rfid chip in it
...................... I lined my bedroom ceiling with aluminum foil,it actually helps shield you from detrimental cosmic waves and most tractor beams...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

malocchio wrote:
crankymoose wrote:lining your old wallet with aluminum foil is as effective and much cheaper,

...................... I lined my bedroom ceiling with aluminum foil,it actually helps shield you from detrimental cosmic waves and most tractor beams...
And helps to retain heat in the winter, and reflect heat in the summer --- so good for the environment too! :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

We rejected debit cards, too: if the number gets out there and is abused, you're cooked.

I am aware of the (very real) dangers of RFID sniffing, but not yet willing to line my pockets with a small Faraday Cage. Life is a balance.

- Will