Recommend starter Badger brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
dawgvet

Recommend starter Badger brush

Post by dawgvet »

I've gradually been working on my shaving technique and equipment. Looking to upgrade from my starter boar brush from WalMart. What is a reasonably priced ($30-$50) middle of the road brush for soaps (Harris) to start on?
Thanks
Jedidiah
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i would say a vulfix

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Dale

Post by Dale »

How about an Omega or Semogue boar? Lots of backbone, soft tips, and excel with hard soaps.
Regards,
Dale
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Best budget badger brush would be a Tweezerman. Somewhat more expensive, but still not an extravagance would be a C&E Pure Badger at $35 --- or better yet one of their C&E/EJ Best Badger at $65.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Hodari D.

Post by Hodari D. »

For about $50 you can get a Simpsons Berkeley in best badger from www.westcoastshaving.com. The discount code BandB will net you 10% off.
Best,
Scott
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

:roll:

Correction to this post at Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:56 am
Last edited by kronos9 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ed
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Yep, for $44 the Edwin Jagger (aka C&E brush) brush is a steal. It performs like a brush costing four times more.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Well, Jedediah, is clarity emerging? Look, about all you can do is buy a brush, almost any brush, use it, learn from it...form your opinion...based upon which you will buy your next brush. The advice we give you will never substitute for your own experience.

Buzz
drumana

Post by drumana »

Hodari D. wrote:For about $50 you can get a Simpsons Berkeley in best badger from www.westcoastshaving.com. The discount code BandB will net you 10% off.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Simpson has a few brushes in the $50 range with their best grade hair, which is really nice. thesuperiorshave.com is another good site to browse Simpson brushes. Good luck!
-Andrew-
Dale

Post by Dale »

Dale wrote:How about an Omega or Semogue boar? Lots of backbone, soft tips, and excel with hard soaps.
Oops! I neglected to read this thread's title closely. :oops:
Regards,
Dale
function

Post by function »

I haven't owned/experienced a Simpsons, but if their quality is comparable to a Rooney then I would concur with their quality in Best. Having just received a Rooney in Best, the badger quality is great at feel, better than the "silvertip" I purchased from a China based manufacturer/seller on ebay(DeLong).

You could also consider, and this may be a bit much of you are new, building your own. I have a custom brush from Rudy Vey that uses a Finest from The Golden Nib, and I love the knot. TGN also carries handles, so you could put your own together for the price range you are looking for.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I agree with Clive. In that price range, something from Vulfix. Their very nice Pure/Best models fall in that price range for the most part, and even a few of their smaller Super models are around $50 I think. You also might check for pre-owned Simpsons and Rooneys in our Buy/Sell/Trade section.
Regards,
Gordon
druphus

Post by druphus »

bernards66 wrote:I agree with Clive. In that price range, something from Vulfix. Their very nice Pure/Best models fall in that price range for the most part, and even a few of their smaller Super models are around $50 I think. You also might check for pre-owned Simpsons and Rooneys in our Buy/Sell/Trade section.
Regards,
Gordon
+1 to this. Listen to Clive and Gordon.
Regards,
Andy
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

kronos9 wrote:I think the C&E Best Badger is history. However, the current incarnation is here. Other vendors also carry it. Mine is maybe four years old and still performs like it did when new. For the small price difference, I'd take it over the Pure Badger version.
Actually, C&E are indeed still selling the EJ-brand brushes here. I meant to include the link with my previous post.

I have owned a C&E/EJ Super Badger for a good few years -- and it's been the best badger brush I have ever owned.
Wendell

kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

jww wrote:
kronos9 wrote:I think the C&E Best Badger is history. However, the current incarnation is here. Other vendors also carry it. Mine is maybe four years old and still performs like it did when new. For the small price difference, I'd take it over the Pure Badger version.
C&E still selling the EJ-brand brushes here.
You are correct, sir. I was a little quick on the keyboard. :)

Yes, C&E was the first place I looked because that's where I bought my Best Badger for $35. Then it became unavailable. Now's there's a new $65 EJ Best Badger (CE logo) in cream/ivory that is identical to mine, even to the small ridge at the top of the handle (missing in the BG version as far as I can tell). The BG version has the EJ logo.

In a side by side comparison, I would agree that the new C&E is the same as the old C&E, at nearly twice the price. However, at that price point there is a bounty of brush alternatives.

Double checks for spelling, punctuation, historical accuracy, visual comparisons, special fonts, hyperlinks, emoticons. Okay, good to go.
Ed
dawgvet

Post by dawgvet »

Thanks for the input so far. My main concerns were finding a decent quality brush that is not too far to one extreme or the other. Like I said, I primarily bowl lather with soap. Like to EJ recommendation but looking into Vulfix or Simpson. Any input appreciated.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

dawgvet wrote:Thanks for the input so far. My main concerns were finding a decent quality brush that is not too far to one extreme or the other. Like I said, I primarily bowl lather with soap. Like to EJ recommendation but looking into Vulfix or Simpson. Any input appreciated.
do you make lather with the puck in the bowl or load the brush and then take it to the bowl? i've totally gone to loading the brush and then going to my face and add water as needed. even with creams now.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
dawgvet

Post by dawgvet »

Alright gents, this is getting close. I'm narrowing it down the the EJ medium best vs. one of the Vulfix but a super seems to be closer in price. Which Vulfix would you recommend? Thanks for all the help.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Succumb to the addiction -- just get them "all" --- whatever all means to you at the moment. :wink:
Wendell

gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

dawgvet wrote:Alright gents, this is getting close. I'm narrowing it down the the EJ medium best vs. one of the Vulfix but a super seems to be closer in price. Which Vulfix would you recommend? Thanks for all the help.
vulfix 2234
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer