bay rum burn

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
gil3591

bay rum burn

Post by gil3591 »

guys, i've used ogallala bay rum and pinaud clubman bay rum aftershaves. both seem to give me a burning sensation. it's not an alcohol burn but a spicey kinda burn. is this normal with bay rums? i don't get it from balms nor from soaps/creams
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
joe mcclaine

Re: bay rum burn

Post by joe mcclaine »

gil3591 wrote:guys, i've used ogallala bay rum and pinaud clubman bay rum aftershaves. both seem to give me a burning sensation. it's not an alcohol burn but a spicey kinda burn. is this normal with bay rums? i don't get it from balms nor from soaps/creams
The two you mention (moreso the Pinaud) have a reputation for burning more than a very hot thing.

Other Bay Rums aren't on the same scale.
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Vinny is correct; the Pinaud Bay Rum really starts a grass fire on your face. Most Bay Rums seem to have some alcohol except for Em's Place Bay Rum aftershave splash. it has oils and aloe, and doesn't sting but has a nice bay rum scent.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
function

Post by function »

I have used two Ogalalla products. The limes and peppercorns bay rum sets my face on fire. The sample of bay rum and sandalwood I got from Phil only burned if I forgot to shake.
I also get a burn from the Pashana bay rum I have but it is not too bad imo.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

hmm..interesting comment function...I read a post about some added spices to AS and it doesnt go well with some people..you could always re sell on the BST...
If I were you try Clubman Lilac Vegitol/Lime Sec..no added spices

ST
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

divotmax wrote:... Em's Place Bay Rum aftershave splash. it has oils and aloe, and doesn't sting but has a nice bay rum scent.
Bob, does it have staying power? I used her bay rum soap and I loved the scent more than OBR and I wonder if her aftershave or cologne mixes are powerful enough to linger for a good while. OBR just doesn't last enough, on my body anyway.

And can anyone tell me if the Pinaud BR last as long as the Clubman? I don't mind the burn as long as it isn't like muriatic acid.
Last edited by Odio Barbillas on Tue May 10, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Re: bay rum burn

Post by Odio Barbillas »

gil3591 wrote:guys, i've used ogallala bay rum and pinaud clubman bay rum aftershaves. both seem to give me a burning sensation. it's not an alcohol burn but a spicey kinda burn. is this normal with bay rums? i don't get it from balms nor from soaps/creams
I went through the OBR sampler and the only real burn I felt came from the double-strength version. :shock: Oh my! :twisted:
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

I get little, if any, burn from Pinaud Bay Rum. I also don't go for BBS and only use aftershave below the jawline.

I am of the opinion that the blade should not contact the skin. A sub-millimeter of remaining whisker (and intact epidermis) should define a perfect shave. Again, IMO, burn from an aftershave suggests sub-optimal technique.
Ed
Araner

Post by Araner »

I don’t mind using Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum splash as cologne but never as an aftershave. I think the main ingredient is plutonium – burn baby, burn!

Mike
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

function wrote:I have used two Ogalalla products. The limes and peppercorns bay rum sets my face on fire.
Me too.

I wonder why splashing limes, peppercorns, and alcohol on one's face - after shaving - create a burning sensation?

:lol:
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

I had this same problem, rinse, pat dry, splash, scream. . .

Now just use a balm and put the AS on afterward, no problems.
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
brothers

Post by brothers »

I love the burn.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

RazorRamone wrote:
function wrote:I have used two Ogalalla products. The limes and peppercorns bay rum sets my face on fire.
Me too.

I wonder why splashing limes, peppercorns, and alcohol on one's face - after shaving - create a burning sensation?

:lol:
Nuts. So much for my plans of marketing a Habanero and Wasabi aftershave. :(
~Greg
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

Nuts. So much for my plans of marketing a Habanero and Wasabi aftershave.
I'd buy that!

Probably go well on tacos, too!

As for the burning everybody in here is having, may I suggest doing a cold cloth press after the shave to close up the pores before you throw on the AS?

gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

funkthulhu wrote:
Nuts. So much for my plans of marketing a Habanero and Wasabi aftershave.
I'd buy that!

Probably go well on tacos, too!

As for the burning everybody in here is having, may I suggest doing a cold cloth press after the shave to close up the pores before you throw on the AS?
mantic had a video of getting shaved on a trip to vegas. after the shave the barber wraped a towel around his face that was soaking in an ice water/alcohol mix. that sounded good to me. said he didn't get any burn. what i am talking about here is not an alcohol burn but a scent burn.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

Gil, I think the same nerve pathways that cause the alcohol burn would also be responsible for the spice burn?

If the cold press works for the alcohol, maybe it'll be the ticket for the spice as well.

Of course you could take the extreme route in the other direction. Just rub habaneros all over your face and let the capsaicin kill all your nerves, then you won't feel anything until they grow back! (works for some arthritis patients!)((Don't actually do this, it hurts like hell))

WBK

Post by WBK »

Pinaud has good staying power but does have a bit of burn with those spices... a bit too much spice scent for me. I've tried a few with Superior70 being my least favorite as it has a weak scent and no staying power. Masters is readily available but I am not a fan of it either. I ended up liking Benjamin's (mentholated) the best... refreshing, good scent, decent staying power and inexpensive. Can be a little hard to find unfortunately.
insomniac

Post by insomniac »

The Superior 70 available at Walgreens is pretty mild. Smells nice as well, and is dirt cheap ($2.)

Pinaud turns me into this -> :oops:
Jado

Post by Jado »

:) The Pinaud Bay Rum does burn quite a bit - but I really like it. As far as scent goes, on me, it starts spicy, but dries off and smells very "clean". I just finished off a bottle maybe two weeks ago. Don't know if I'll replace it, as much as I enjoyed it.
-James