My painful breakup with beer and Scotch...

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Rob

Post by Rob »

Very good. My mother lives in Jonesborough as well. Great little town. I just looked up Dayton and it appears to be just as nice as Northeast TN. Oh how I wish I were back in East TN. Living here in the St. Louis Metro East area is just the pits compared to East TN.
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Rob,

Just a thought, but the types of beer and styles of scotches that you are consuming and that are giving you headaches see to have a common thread in each of them; the beers are all aggressively hopped ales, and the scotches are all aggressively smoked/peated whiskies. In the case of the beers, all of those listed are 'dry hopped', which is to say that a large dose of raw hops are added to the beer after it's brewed and while it's fermenting in order to add an assertive bitterness and hop character to the beer. The malt used in those whiskies is smoked over peat fueled fires for an extended period in order to add the very smoky, peaty character that you taste. Some aspect of the dry hopping (such as the hop resin, which is called lupulin) or the peat spiked smoke might be causing the headaches.

As an experiment, try switching to a different style of beer, perhaps a lager, for a while. Lagers tend to be less aggressively hopped than IPA style ales (with a few exceptions, such as hoppy pilsners), and they are almost never dry hopped. Also, lagers are fermented a cool temperatures with bottom fermenting yeast strains, while ales are fermented at warm temperatures with top fermenting yeasts. As for the whisky, try drinking something different and see what happens. I find that many scotch drinkers (I'm one myself) enjoy the flavour profile of Armagnac, a French brandy that is similar to Cognac, but with more pronounced, 'racier' flavours. Or perhaps try a Bourbon or Rye whiskey (there's no peat or smoke in them). Buy a 50ml "airline" sized bottle (most well stocked liquor stores offer them) and see if the different type of spirit has the same effect on you. At least you will know if it's alcohol in general that is bothering you, or if it's something particular to those ales & whiskies that you like.

Another thought is to see an Ear, Nose & Throat doctor and undergo allergy testing. If an allergen is identified there are simple, inexpensive shots to build up your tolerance to the offending item. I did this a few years ago, and my sinus issues and headaches are much improved.

Again, just a couple of thoughts from a guy who has been in the beer & spirits industry for two decades now.
Cheers,

Craig
MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

Craig is right on target. i had noticed this as well when you first posted, but wasn't sure how to express it; he has masterfully written out what I had been thinking as well.
John
Araner

Post by Araner »

Geez, Craig, until I got to the end of your post I was thinking, man, this guy sure knows a lot about booze. Then I find out your in the business. Anyway, I concur with Mr. Smooth, its great advice.

Mike
hexdump

Post by hexdump »

I sure hope you get it sorted out.

Are you going through an unusual period of stress in your life ?

That's what did it for me when I used to get headaches after drinking beers.
The Dr. was no help, he told me to stop drinking beers, so I stopped seeing him instead.
:D
George aka Hex
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

hexdump wrote:I sure hope you get it sorted out.

Are you going through an unusual period of stress in your life ?

That's what did it for me when I used to get headaches after drinking beers.
The Dr. was no help, he told me to stop drinking beers, so I stopped seeing him instead.
:D
George Burns: "If I had taken my doctor's advice and quit smoking when he advised me to, I wouldn't have lived to go to his funeral."
Regards,
Mike