Gentleman's Cane

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
never2close

Gentleman's Cane

Post by never2close »

I am looking for a distinguished cane and have only found canes for "old people". It appears I will need a cane during recovery from my latest injury. Thus far I have been unable to locate a cane of distinction. Your help would be appreciated.
Araner

Post by Araner »

Wants to look distinguished, hmmm, maybe something like this?

And, not like this.

Or, maybe a cool cane like this!

Yeah, it's tough to decide.

Good luck! :D

Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've only examined one, a gold headed (stamped 14k) dark shaft (ebony?) that a friend brought by the office to show me. Beautiful thing with no practical value, he got it from a pawn shop.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Do you want function or fashion?

I have a traditional cane which I think is made of either maple or oak. I have used it at times when I have injured my knees or ankles.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

jww wrote:Do you want function or fashion?
Therein lies the crux of the problem. Most functional canes for medical use are very utilitarian looking. The more fashionable style or "walking stick" is more of an accessory and is not typically recommended for use while recovering from an injury (the risk of causing more harm than actually helping). Talk to your physical therapist or check with a local pharmacy that offers medical supplies. They can tell you what you need to have to be safe and if you tell them what you are looking for they may be able to provide a recommendation. If I recall, I have seen some options in pharmacies that might fit the bill.

Best of luck finding a cane and speedy recovery.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The coded reference is irrational. An individual may be distinguished, regardless of his or her age, and regardless of whether he or she requires a cane to move about. As you use your own cane, your behavior and attitude, not your age or the appearance of your trusty cane, will reveal whether you distinguish yourself or not.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Blows my latest how can I look distinguished thought.
Regards,
Squire
95%

Post by 95% »

I faced the same dilemma as the OP a few weeks ago when I left the hospital after surgery. I wanted a spiffy cane, not one of those shiny aluminum items sold in drug stores. I ended up buying this:

http://www.harvycanes.com/ecom/shop/ite ... 6&catid=61

I've received a number of compliments about it. It's not too fancy, like those canes with silver handles carved in the shape of a dog's head or eagle's head, but neither is it too plain.

I will say this. If you're using a cane as an assistive device for walking, its purpose will be apparent whether you're young or old. You can always explain to people that you're going into Vaudeville, however, and they will appreciate the joke.
Porter
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The cane I described in my earlier post is pretty much the same thing - without the brass accent collar.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
95%

Post by 95% »

Wendell - My Harvy cane is not made of wood but of metal, polycarbonate, or graphite. It's hollow and therefore very lightweight, yet strong. The wood-grain handle is so beautifully rendered that a friend suggested it is an actual veneer - but I tend to doubt that.

I have an old, battered ,and heavy solid wood cane from the 1980's that I keep in the trunk of my car for emergencies. If I were so motivated, I would restore it and it would look great.
Porter
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

A while back I saw on eBay a walking stick with a Jurassic insect in amber on the head, a prop from the movie. Now that would have been distinguished....
_______
John
jkingrph

Post by jkingrph »

I have one I hand carved with a draw knife from a piece of Bois de Arce wood. Actually I made it for my father. The wife has one I made for my mother, turned from a piece of cherry.

The first a bit rustic, but different, the second rather classy.
Jeff
crankymoose

Post by crankymoose »

I got mine at fashionablecanes.com they have a decent selection of both classy as well as novelty canes and they are also weight rated if you need a heavier duty model.
Jim
never2close

Post by never2close »

I appreciate the helpful advice on canes. For the record, I believe I am distinguished, but as I age I find that I injure myself more frequently. Once injured one can still attempt to look distinguished, and to that end, using a non Walgreen's cane is helpful.

I was seeking advice since my first cane purchase went awry. I bought a dragon's head cane with a marble in the dragon's mouth. Using it, I looked like a crippled pimp.....
brothers

Post by brothers »

never2close wrote:I appreciate the helpful advice on canes. For the record, I believe I am distinguished, but as I age I find that I injure myself more frequently. Once injured one can still attempt to look distinguished, and to that end, using a non Walgreen's cane is helpful.

I was seeking advice since my first cane purchase went awry. I bought a dragon's head cane with a marble in the dragon's mouth. Using it, I looked like a crippled pimp.....
I'm sure you're distinguished, and I do apologize if I offended earlier. I know what you're looking for, and honestly, would feel the same way as you. Good luck with your search!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
never2close

Post by never2close »

brothers wrote:
never2close wrote:I appreciate the helpful advice on canes. For the record, I believe I am distinguished, but as I age I find that I injure myself more frequently. Once injured one can still attempt to look distinguished, and to that end, using a non Walgreen's cane is helpful.

I'm sure you're distinguished, and I do apologize if I offended earlier. I know what you're looking for, and honestly, would feel the same way as you. Good luck with your search!
No offense taken. This would be funny if only I could stand upright!
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Sounds like a good name for a pub. "The Crippled Pimp". As in "I'll see you down the Pimp around 7-ish, okay?"

If my camera hadn't gone on the fritz I'd post a picture of my Swaine, Adeney & Brigg swordstick which I bought for no good reason when I was 22. They had shotgun umbrellas, too. Only trouble with them was you couldn't defend yourself against footpads and cutpurses when it was raining. "Hold hard, you blackguard, 'til I furl my brolly and take aim."

I have a number of the things, inherited and bought. I like a walking-stick on a long walk, whether in town or country. And every now and then they come in handy when I'm injured. Best are a bog-oak knobkerry and an elegant gold-banded hawthorn. One gets some odd looks, though (unless one's actually limping).
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Michael, it would seem you get injured frequently. :lol:
Regards,
Jani
brothers

Post by brothers »

Michael has given me an idea, now that street crime in rainy climates seems to be thriving. If there was a double barrelled shotgun with live ammo in one barrel and a nice umbrella in the other, folks, especially the more vulnerable among us, particularly the little old ladies and younger ones too, could enjoy a rainy stroll and if attacked, could simply point and shoot! Maybe we could get a patent on that? Also, we could generate additional sales of replacement umbrellas, as the active umbrellas would naturally be blown full of enormous holes when the armed barrel was engaged in the course of combat.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Brothers, Gary Brothers, 002.375

:lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum