Kent BK8 vs Vulfix 2236

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, This old thread is irrelevant to the current SR brushes. Back then, and for some time before that, the better SR brushes WERE standard Vulfix models, simply rebranded. Then for a brief time, the period when that thread was posted, Charles also had a brush or two that were almost certainly rebranded Kents. He then went elsewhere for a supplier, most of us believing it was Shavemac. I really haven't checked in on the current SR offerings for sometime so I don't know what's happening these days.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I asked Charles if any of the currrent SR brushes he carries would be equivalent to the old SR23, and his response - as to the knot - was similar to Ron's information, that depending on the hair grade preference, one of his Saville Row brush variations ending in "22" would be close.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, "Close", perhaps. I wouldn't know personally. But the actual brushes we were discussing in that thread can no longer be gotten from QED, although, of course, the original models are still available from the firms who were supplying him back then.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gordon, I know because of the time lapse that's occurred, it's all out of context now, at least regarding the brushes that QED was handling at that time. But it was an interesting discussion. In my case, I simplified the issue by just getting the BK8. I haven't received it yet, but am expecting it shortly. The Vulfix 2236, on the other hand is looking pretty good to me too, either that or possibly the 377.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, All three are very good brushes, and make no mistake, by most standards they're LARGE. When these forums first started up brushes of that size were more the norm, but there has been a slow but steady movement here toward smaller brushes over the intervening years such that today brushes like the BK8 are experianced by most as pretty damn big. Let us know what you think when it arrives.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up, now that I've had both the BK8 (27x55)and the GFT Vulfix 2236 (26x60)for about 8 or 9 months, and am using them both regularly in a 4 brush rotation, I can say they're almost identical, i.e.: both are excellent big floppy brushes that make me very happy when I use them.

The only other two I use nowadays are the Big Rooney I reknotted (22x60) with a knot made by Vulfix in "Silvertip" according to Tony at Golden Nib, and the Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger (30x60).
Gary

river1

Post by river1 »

Interesting thread to read and I haventhe Kent H8 and several Shavemac with 26 & 28 knots. All are wonderful soft and luxurius to use. The Kent has the hour glass handle that is easier to hang from thenstand and dry plus it is easier to hang on to.
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Thanks for the update. Yeah, I would assume that the BK8 and 2236 would be quite similiar. I've actually used neither, but have closely inspected both. But tell me, is not the BK8 considerably denser? I ask because such is the case with the smaller BK4 as compared with, say, the Vulfix 2234.
Regards,
Gordon
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

bernards66 wrote: But tell me, is not the BK8 considerably denser? I ask because such is the case with the smaller BK4 as compared with, say, the Vulfix 2234.
I was wondeing about this, too.
Eric
brothers

Post by brothers »

bernards66 wrote:Gary, Thanks for the update. Yeah, I would assume that the BK8 and 2236 would be quite similiar. I've actually used neither, but have closely inspected both. But tell me, is not the BK8 considerably denser? I ask because such is the case with the smaller BK4 as compared with, say, the Vulfix 2234.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, I've not found the Kent to be considerably more dense than the Vulfix. The knot in the Kent is wider and shorter by a bit, and perhaps as a result, it might be a bit more dense. But not a lot, if any.
Gary

Dale

Post by Dale »

Gary, have you tried the Vulfix 41?
Regards,
Dale
brothers

Post by brothers »

Dale, I've read about it, but haven't got one yet.
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Interesting, as with the smaller models the difference in density is marked if one really checks the brushes out closely. Because the loft is so relatively great and the face-feel so soft it is easy to assume that the BK4 isn't that tightly packed but when you squeeze the bristle bundle together and look at it from the top, there is considerably more hair packed in there than with a similiar size Vulfix Super. But, you are saying that this pattern does not hold true in the larger models it seems.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

And keeping in mind that my observation is just these 2 specific brushes, which might vary from others of the same make and model. Also, just for example, I can say for sure that the Morris & Forndran 30/60 is indeed more dense than the two brushes we're talking about. Also, to some degree, the Vulfix-made 3 band "silvertip" knot in the Big Rooney brush handle is easily more dense, in my experience, as compared to the two, and not as dense as the M&F.
Gary

desmoface

Post by desmoface »

I'm not sure which saville row brush I have, it's a few years old, but it's way better than the old bk8 I had. I also prefer it to my Rooney heritage stubby 2 for soaps..

While a beautiful brush, the bk8 was a little too floppy for my taste and I never really cared for the brush.

Steve
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Steve, that's the 3824.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Hiya Chris, that sounds right, LOL. All I know is other brushes have come and gone and this ones still here. Tis a fine brush. Thanks for the I.D.

Steve
Thalay Sagar wrote:Steve, that's the 3824.
firstfloorfront

Post by firstfloorfront »

Randy

I've got both of these brushes and have used them on a regular basis for the last 10 years or so.

The BK8 was the fist really good brush I ever bought, it's quite large with nice soft bristles that provide a very good lather with both soap and cream. The only down side for me now is the shape of the handle; I have rheumatoid arthritis and at times it shape makes it difficult to hold.

The 2236 is an equally good brush, but it's the size of a small monster and a lot bigger than the BK8. Bristles are very very soft and IMO works a lot better with creams. This brush holds a lot of water.

I don't think you will go wrong with either.

Peter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Peter, Thanks for the comparison based on long term familiarity with both brushes in question. I'm glad that you mentioned the considerable size of the 2236. Many gents who have not seen one in person don't realize how big they actually are.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Re: Kent BK8 vs Vulfix 2236

Post by brothers »

I've decided that the BK8 and the Vulfix 2336 are possibly identical (in the knot) obviously with starkly different handles.
I came to this conclusion while using them with Castle Forbes shaving creams. These are quite soft and they generate lots of lather. The post-shave blooms are massive. To my eye the knots appear identical. It took me a few years to finally figure this out.
Gary