MOTD- Martini Of The Day

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Churchill's martinis reputedly were little more than straight gin with an olive. Varying stories about his recipe call for waving an unopened vermouth bottle over the gin, watching the vermouth from across the room or bowing toward France as he mixed his drink. I remember reading somewhere that he despised the dirty martinis that were Roosevelt's favorite.

My favorite martini quote is from Dorothy Parker:

I love to drink martinis
Two at the very most
Three and I'm under the table
Four and I'm under the host
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've heard that Martinis are an acquired taste. I suppose my opportunity will present itself one day. If not, I'm OK.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

DavidB wrote:Because of the many flavorings used in the distillation process (juniper berries, along with lemon and bitter orange peel, anise, coriander, angelica root, and other botanicals), gins vary widely, and everyone has their favorites. Here's a pretty good SMF discussion on the topic: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... hlight=gin

I have not tried a ton of gins, and am by no means an expert, but here are some of my faves:

Gordon's: ~$10 a bottle, affordable, really nice, my house gin
Beefeaters: ~$15 a bottle, licorice notes, nice gin
Bombay Sapphire: ~$20 a bottle, very popular, my best friend's fave, so the one I drink when he's over
Junipero: ~$30 a bottle, heavy on juniper, my absolute fave and the one I treat myself to once in a while
Plymouth: ~$30 a bottle, smooth, smooth smooth; I believe Churchill's favorite (and he was a gin guy)

Dave
Thanks for the info. This gives me a good start as I wanted to get a better sense of what is considered decent. Price is not always a good indicator in these sorts of things. Certainly seems like Gordon's is a great place to start.

I have been interested in Junipero in part from the connection to Anchor. I am a beer guy and since I know they make quality beer, I figured the same principles would drive their distillery.

Prost!
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Andy, the Junipero gin is simply superb.

Also, everyone ought to try the Castelvertrano olives. Incredible. I first had them at a jazz bar in San Francisco, and found them at BevMo. They have pits, so you have to spear them on the side, but they taste wonderful.

Dave
function

Post by function »

Decided to try a new Gin the other day. I was out of decent gin(decent being defined as does not need to be mixed with OJ).
My regulars are Beefeater and Boodles, I'll get Hendricks when I want my cucumber G&Ts. I did a little research and saw good reviews for the inexpensive Monopolowa. Buying that was a great choice for my G&T drinking last night. I know it's not a martini, but it was nice and smooth. A 1.75l was $24 plus tax, barely more than Gordons.

As a person known for occasionally hooking an IV of Gin into my veins, I will highly recommend giving this a try if you want to take a step up from Gordons but shudder at spending more than $20 on a 750ml bottle.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Mmm, Gordons, breakfast of Champions.
Regards,
Squire
function

Post by function »

Squire wrote:Mmm, Gordons, breakfast of Champions.
Bought an orange tree for just that reason. SWMBO thinks she will be eating the oranges, she is sadly mistaken.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
xXClockwork

Post by xXClockwork »

Matthew Moore wrote:I just recently started to try my hand at Martinis when I scored a free bottle of Beefeater's. Is this something that I'll get better at with time? Because I cannot seem to pull a good one off! So far I've been using

3oz of Gin
1oz M&R Extra Dry

Shaken in ice with three olives.

What type of olives are you using? Olives can often give your martini a completely different taste. Make sure you are not cheaping out on the olives you buy.

I use: New Amsterdam Gin
Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth
Mediterranean Organic Stuffed Garlic Olives.
Jesse

2 Corinthians 5:21
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

On another Board I once mentioned soaking the olives in Scotch. I was kidding but lo and behold a guy tried it and said he liked it.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I tried the churchillian method last night......its all lost on me. I do envy you gents that get to enjoy your drinks.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum