Is there a modern razor that compares to a Sheraton?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
fishgutmartyr

Is there a modern razor that compares to a Sheraton?

Post by fishgutmartyr »

I don't have a lot of razors, since I have a habit of giving them out to younger guys to try out. But I recently bought a Sheraton via Etsy, and I think that this razor is the one.

It's about the same weight and size as a 40's SuperSpeed (I have a Milord version), except it's open-comb. That combination makes it the perfect heft and agression for my needs. This, and my slant are the two razors I will not give up.

The thing I'm worried about is that the thing is already 70+ years old, and won't last forever. Is there a modern manufacturer that has this combination of weight/aggression in a TTO?
John.

I'll think of something clever eventually.
BullGoose
Vendor

Re: Is there a modern razor that compares to a Sheraton?

Post by BullGoose »

fishgutmartyr wrote: Is there a modern manufacturer that has this combination of weight/aggression in a TTO?
In a word, No
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Hi John,

I can't tell you if there's any currently made razors that would shave like the Sheraton does. Doesn't mean there aren't any, but it's gonna depend on how the head is designed. Offhand, I can't think of a modern razor with that type of head.

The old Senator will shave the same, and the UK made Popular is very similar performance wise. One other razor in that group would be the 1934 type Aristocrat. All of those have pretty similar heads, with only the weight and balance the main varioations.

See that? You got lots more options! I gotta say the Popular and Aristo are a step up from the Sheraton/Senator.

Martin
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

Get a back up Sheraton, there's no reason with reasonable care that it won't out last you.
Tucker

Merkur 1904

Post by Tucker »

They are different, but if you like Open Comb Razors there are some modern choices available. My favorite is the Merkur 1904 Open Comb. I use mine with a Red Personna blade. Then There is the Muhle R-41, Floris and Fattip razors that tend to have a reputation for aggressiveness. I have a Senator that I have not tried. What blade do you like in it?
fishgutmartyr

Post by fishgutmartyr »

Well, thanks guys; I guess I'm hunting again.

Tucker, I'm using Astra SPs and getting great results for myself.
John.

I'll think of something clever eventually.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Disappointing to find that so many of the best shavers are no longer in production. :x