The Epic Cologne Thread

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

Reading through this thread and the Cuir de Russie thread has me wondering. Is there some sort of scent sample/educational kit for learning what different bass notes and top notes smell like by themselves?

Even if just to know what I'm smelling, this would be great. But also to understand and infer what an unknown cologne smells like from its description would be cool.

Just my mind wandering again, sometimes it comes back. . .
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

funkthulhu wrote:Reading through this thread and the Cuir de Russie thread has me wondering. Is there some sort of scent sample/educational kit for learning what different bass notes and top notes smell like by themselves?

Even if just to know what I'm smelling, this would be great. But also to understand and infer what an unknown cologne smells like from its description would be cool.

Just my mind wandering again, sometimes it comes back. . .
That's an excellent question! In the wine industry we have what is know as the Le Nez du Vin, which is a kit developed by French wine expert Jean Lenoir consisting of a sophisticated instructive guide to the most common essences found in all types of wine and allows one to learn to distinguish and detect such things as the type of wine, its age, components, and even the type of soil in which the grapes were grown. The kit contains glass vials containing the essential wine scents and illustrated information cards which details the corresponding molecules and lists the wines in which they can be found:

http://www.makescentsofwine.com/new54aromas.htm

I would love to find something similar to this geared towards the cologne industry.
Cheers,

Craig
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Doug (DEF) had a thread some years back about building a cologne collection that might help you out. Hope he takes the time for an update :D
Eric
stagger

Post by stagger »

#1 Guess Men

#2 Floris #89

#3 Tabac

I would also add that #1 seems to no longer be manufactured. At least there is nowhere in the USA that it can be purchased other than off ebay and such. Quite pricey, but absolutely worth every penny.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-VERSIO ... 3354c3ab89
Regards,
Mark -
numcks

Post by numcks »

Hard to narrow to only three, but currently, I'm feeling the most love from

1) Creed Baie de Genièvre
2) Histoire de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade
3) Aramis Havana (vintage)

Close calls are Knize Ten and Knize Sec, Creed Bois du Portugal and Tabarome (vintage), La Via del Profumo Mecca Balsam and Acqua di Parma Colonia
Cheers,
Mike
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

I am surprised at how much attention Floris #89 gets. The present rendition is not really worth much at all. I have a few bottles of the brilliantine. Now that is an amazing scent.
Regards,
Jani
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Aztecface wrote:I am surprised at how much attention Floris #89 gets. The present rendition is not really worth much at all. I have a few bottles of the brilliantine. Now that is an amazing scent.
For some of us it has become an addictive scent. I WISH I had some 89 brilliantine or some talc. Heck, I wish they still made the whole line as I'd be buying all the different products. Even though the present rendition is not as good as it used to be in past incarnations it still fills a need, at least, for me. That said, any day Floris wants to reformulate to the original formula I'm fine with that.

Chris
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

funkthulhu wrote:Is there some sort of scent sample/educational kit for learning what different bass notes and top notes smell like by themselves?
Yes. Le Labo make an "olfactionary" in a nifty if slightly frou-frou miniature aluminium attaché case, rather expensive, or there are a number of good sampling kits available here:

http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/c-5 ... -kits.aspx
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

My wife would say Kouros, it knocks her bandy. My top 3 would be Czech & Speake #88, Histories de Perfum 1740 Marquis de Sade and Le Labo Patchouli 24 in third. Honorable mentions to Chanel Cuir de Russie, Knize Ten and Creed Cuir de Russie. Vinny likes leathers.
harper

Post by harper »

Hermes Equipage Eau de Toilette. I have been using it since about 1970 and I have had many compliments from women over the years. I have to be careful with my wife because while she tolerates colognes she does not like perfumes and never has in the 52 years we have been married. I do not know why and do not intend to try and find out why: she just says she doesn't like the smell of any perfume. Some things do not need to be known.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Indeed not, which is part of the allure and mystery of women.
Regards,
Squire
95%

Post by 95% »

Why, there's no mystery at all. Harper's wife dislikes fragrances because they attract women when Harper wears them. It's all in his post.
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You might understand women Porter, I don't.
Regards,
Squire
harper

Post by harper »

95%, you are 100% wrong about that. My wife says anybody who will have me can have me and she is very secure that nobody will. She doesn't realize that when I put on my Hermes Equipage my mind is 31 and not 81l

After 52 years of marriage she is undoubtedly right.
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

Well Men, I'm employed again. . .

Time to revive this thread!

Any new insight, gentlemen? I'm on the prowl again and would appreciate any unfair olfactory advantage!
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Bargepole wrote:
funkthulhu wrote:Is there some sort of scent sample/educational kit for learning what different bass notes and top notes smell like by themselves?
Yes. Le Labo make an "olfactionary" in a nifty if slightly frou-frou miniature aluminium attaché case, rather expensive, or there are a number of good sampling kits available here:

http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/c-5 ... -kits.aspx
Am reminded from a recent visit to Whole Foods in Omaha that they have many individual scents available in small sample containers. And, for free, you can whiff the testers. That would be a start at identifying some of the primary fragrances.