Question about rinsing the razor- which are you?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
ShadowsDad

Question about rinsing the razor- which are you?

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'm not writing a book or anything. I'm just curious.

I was watching this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EswqKh20 ... ata_player

Other than the obvious blood bath :roll: , and the terrible light this shines on the R41, I noticed the rinsing; lots and lots of rinsing of the razor. (BTW, I swear it's possible to use the '11 R41 w/o seeing any blood. But that isn't the issue here.) Maybe the rinsing was a sign of nervousness, I don't know the gent.

Are you a frequent rinser of the razor or do you do most or all of a pass w/o rinsing?

I'm the latter. If I didn't need to rinse to see where the razor was for around the nose and such, I wouldn't. With my lather catchers I don't need to rinse around the nose and I don't.

So which are you?

Edited because I hate typos!
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

:shock:

I rinse usually after I have used both sides of a DE -- so perhaps I rinse, say, 6 times per pass, max.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

I rinse when the lather builds up in the gap, which is usually after couple of strokes, then I turn the razor, etc.

Wow, that clip was :shock: .

Gee kids the UPS truck came today so let's try out everything in the box all at once.But first, let's get our t-shirt soaked, let the preshave concoction dry on our face. Handle a brand new razor (and blade) with quite possibly damp hands. R41 + Feather = a trip to the ER if he's on blood thinners.

(Mutters to self and wanders off)
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
werdna

Post by werdna »

First off that clip was scary.

For me:

1st pass
2 strokes down right cheek with one side of blade, 2 strokes down same cheek with other side of blade, rinse
2 strokes down left cheek with one side of blade, 2 strokes down same cheek with other side of blade, rinse
many small, light strokes down upper lip with one side of blade, many light strokes down front of chin with other side of blade, rinse
left to right across neck usually flip blade at some point, thorough rinse

2nd pass
several strokes on right cheek from nose to sideburn area with one side of blade,several strokes on left cheek from nose to sideburn area with other side of blade, rinse
work left to right across upper lip with one side of blade, work left to right across chin with other side of blade, rinse
top to bottom on neck likely flipping blade at some point, thorough rinse

3rd pass
just like 2nd pass but working from sideburn to mouth, other direction across lip and chin and up the neck

optional 4th pass
against the grain up right cheek with one side of blade
against the grain up left cheek with other side of blade
clean up.

I think that yields about 7 rinses during the passes and 2 or 3 more thorough rinses between passes.

-Andrew
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I rinse the blade frequently during each pass; after every couple or three strokes.
Regards,
Gordon
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

I rinse the razor around every five or six strokes.

It seems rather surprising to me that he went for three passes when the razor/blade combination was obviously very aggressive and drawing plenty of blood.
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

+1...that's me too.
jww wrote::shock:

I rinse usually after I have used both sides of a DE -- so perhaps I rinse, say, 6 times per pass, max.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I always dip the razor in sink to get the excess lather away, to not get messy.

That shave was scary! Could be just the blade and razor combination, which in this case indicates that muhle R 41 is not just a good razor. But instead a false design? Imagine how uncomfortable his shave will feel a few hours afterwards and the whole day? And he HAS to take a few days off from shaving.

The whole point of DE shaving is the totally irritationless shaves we get, instead from cartidges. It means no blood, ever. With Feather blades I am not able to shave on several days in a row, cause my skin is too thin thanks to northern climate and maybe my age too, 53.

I never go totally with down strokes on my first pass. On lower neck WTG is up instead. He did use a lots of strokes when lather was gone too. I do too sometimes, but not as much. Other than that I did not see much faults in his technique. Maybe a bit too loose wrist? Could have been just the wrong angle too with unfamiliar razor.
Last edited by JarmoP on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jarmo
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

bernards66 wrote:I rinse the blade frequently during each pass; after every couple or three strokes.
Regards,
Gordon
+1
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

I am a rinser also. I have not counted, but it is fairly often during the shave. Thinking about it, I can come with of two reasons why I rinse.

1. Too much lather build up bothers me. I like to see what I am doing and I feel like I am flying blind if I don't rinse.

2. Carry over from cartridges; it has been less than a year since I switched. My experience was that they needed to be rinsed frequently because the gaps clogged pretty easily. Once this happened the ability to shave dropped off dramatically.

As for the video, I agree with others that it was a number of bad choices followed by a serious case of escalating commitment.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

I also rinse pretty frequently. I like to use a lather that is really wet, almost runny and just enough body to stay on the face. The lather does have a tendency to run down the razor handle after a couple of strokes and I don't like slippery handles. After a rinse, I rotate the razor 180 degrees to use the other edge of the blade; I have done that so long it is habit and I don't even think about it.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yes, I think it's a carry over from carts too where the lather and cutoffs go nowhere. Try not rinsing and see how much lather your razor will carry. Even w/o a lather catcher my razors will "hang" a big old goober of cut offs and lather at least 2" long. I don't normally notice it, but I did today with my R41. I've never seen it get in the way except as I already wrote, when I'm near the nose or some such area.

It just struck me- the rinsing that is- as I watched the gent disfigure himself. Actually, the nervous rinsing was beginning to get to me. Almost as much as hearing someone bang their cartridge razor against the sink to unclog it.

Jarmo, the R41 razor clearly isn't for everyone, it's a very aggressive design, but it's a fantastic razor. I never get any blood from it and always a fantastic shave. I haven't used Feathers in mine yet, just a 7:00 Yellow, but that's just a micron less sharp than the Feather. I have a bunch of testing on the docket already, but eventually I'll put a Feather in it. I believe I have a few left.

OK, another question.... Wasn't that Musgo Real, the shave cream that he was giving magical beard softening properties to? I've never seen Musgo Real, but it sure looked like a shave soap puck to me. I guess I didn't quite understand that portion of the video. It definitely had me asking, "Huh!?".
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

ShadowsDad wrote:OK, another question.... Wasn't that Musgo Real, the shave cream that he was giving magical beard softening properties to? I've never seen Musgo Real, but it sure looked like a shave soap puck to me. I guess I didn't quite understand that portion of the video. It definitely had me asking, "Huh!?".
They make a pre-shave soap, Glyce Lime Soap, different from the cream. I have not used it, but some people swear buy it.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I'm quite regimented with this, actually:

Three strokes, switch round to the other side of the razor, another three strokes and then rinse.

Gareth
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Quarterstick wrote:
ShadowsDad wrote:OK, another question.... Wasn't that Musgo Real, the shave cream that he was giving magical beard softening properties to? I've never seen Musgo Real, but it sure looked like a shave soap puck to me. I guess I didn't quite understand that portion of the video. It definitely had me asking, "Huh!?".
They make a pre-shave soap, Glyce Lime Soap, different from the cream. I have not used it, but some people swear buy it.
I used the Glyce Lime soap religiously as part of my shaving regimen, but when I stopped using it (and witch hazel post shave), the next day whiteheads on my face stopped.Draw your own conclusions, discover what's best for your face. My mileage, 27 on the interstate, 22 urban cycle. :lol:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
brothers

Post by brothers »

I rinse as needed.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gary said exactly what I would have said.
Regards,
Squire
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

WHat Squire said about what Gary said was exactly what I would have said.

But, hell's teeth, what on earth made that fellow post the video of his auto-massacre in public?
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Some people will seek attention any way they can get it I suppose.

Regarding this question, upon more careful observation, I discovered that what I posted above is not really accurate. In truth, I take about four strokes per side so eight strokes total before rinsing. Keep in mind that I take short strokes however, no more that one inch uisually.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dosco

Post by dosco »

Make a pass with one side of the blade.

Flip.

Make a pass with the other side of the blade.

Rinse.

Repeat.