Matchup between Polsilver and Personna Hospital Use blade

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

"Could I break a nail doing that?"
i vote this for comment of the month and on subject of voting, gary gets my vote for 'prime merkur blade candidate' of the moth award :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

brothers wrote:I tell my wife most of this stuff is secret guy stuff and she's pretty much convinced that's true. She's pretty much bored with it all, and the least she has to think about it, the happier she is!

Back on point with the matchup, the most exciting part for me was the general facial bleeding where there weren't any visible cuts, thanks to Muhle's pretty little toothcomb device. I'm anxious for it to return to the fold and to see how it holds up over the long haul with occasional use only.
gary, your weapon of mass destruction went in the mail thursday. :lol: let me know how you like the scs savory rose a/s
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, thanks for your consideration for merkur blades. Even though I've already used the blade I got for free with a razor, I'll put that on my to-do list! :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

As far as the Personna/Polsilver matchup goes, I'm going to keep using this Personna blade and keeping a running total and daily score, but I'm reverting back to my normal routine of alternating between a SR and a DE every day. I've missed my SRs, over the past 2 weeks, plus I want to get my newest one (the Boker) honed up so I can begin to use it too.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Dance to your own drummer, Gary. And rejoice in the long list of tunes you may pick from! \:D/
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Gibbs

Post by Gibbs »

Gary, I use the Personna Med prep (hospital) and the Personna Lab. I find them to shave identical. However, the "Lab" blade is loads cheaper. I just bought 100 of them from razorbladesandmore.com You have to compare the prices sometime, but the shave is, to me, identical, which makes the "Lab" an EXCELLENT value!
Vern

I was born with nothing and I've managed to keep most of it.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Vern, the Personna Preps (hospital use) at RobbinsInstruments are pretty close to being as cheap as the Labs you buy at RB&M. Both are good deals on whichever blade one prefers. The most important things about the Preps for me is that they're in current manufacture from a USA factory, and they are very good blades.
Gary

Gibbs

Post by Gibbs »

you're wrong, Gary, they are not very good blades they are EXCELLENT blades!! LOL :lol: I love both of the LAB and Hosptial use only blades, and have had a difficult time finding anything else that is as smooth or as close a shave as these. Elsewhere, there was some folks that did comparison tests between the lab vs Hospital and found that except for the packaging, they both were or had undetectable differences between them.
Vern

brothers

Post by brothers »

Update to the matchup. The Personna reached the end of the road, and today is the first day of #2 Polsilver blade's run. I'm going to use it exclusively with the Slim razor, from start to finish. The first shave was excellent, by the way.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Today with shave #5, I decided to retire Polsilver blade #2. Shave 1 was one of the best flawless shaves one could hope to achieve, and shave 2 was almost as good. The blade was pulling on #5, and while the shave's passable, I've got minor stubble.

Bottom line, in my case, I prefer the Personna Prep. I'll leave any judgment as to whether the Polsilver's the same as the Super Iridium up to others. I'm just happy with what works best for me.

Best regards,
Gary

Gibbs

Post by Gibbs »

+1 I too, like the Medical LAB or hospital prep Personnas against a whole host of some others.
Vern

gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i tried two shaves now with the hospital blades. very smooth and very sharp. i would rate them as good, if not better, as my iridiums. however i do have concern. for the second day in a row i've gotten an abnormal amount of weepers
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
never2close

Post by never2close »

Excellent review. I ordered 100 blades after my initial read of this thread, but after using them for three shaves have decided to make them one of my primary blades. Consequently, I will soon have a substantial supply. The Super Iridium, and Polsilver are my other primary blades. Thanks again for the great work.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Guys, where are you ordering your Personna Prep hospital use blades?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
AFG

Post by AFG »

I'm curious about these blades as well. I've used Feathers almost exclusively for some time and no real reason to change but I would like to try the Personna Meds. I've only found two places that sells them, Razor Blades and More and Robbins Instruments which has the better price. Does anyone have an opinion as to how they would compare to Feather?
Al
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I don't know Robbins Instruments, but just the other day I placed an order with Razor Blades & More and received excellent service.
Fitness
Lijun badger
brothers

Post by brothers »

GA Russell wrote:Guys, where are you ordering your Personna Prep hospital use blades?
Here's where I got mine http://www.robbinsinstruments.com/instr ... ouble.html
Gary

AFG

Post by AFG »

I decided to give the Personnas a try, ordered 100 from Robbins. I would have liked to try a smaller quantity but the reviews on here and B&B have been so positive that I decided to take a chance. I have been using Feathers for quite awhile and it's been a long time since I have ordered blades.
Al
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Thanks Gary!

After the Voskhod and Rapira dumps, twenty-five cents seems high, LOL!
Fitness
Lijun badger
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Is it correct to say that most fans of the Hospital Use blades use them in fairly aggressive razors rather than mild razors?
Fitness
Lijun badger