Brush help needed

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
dawgvet

Brush help needed

Post by dawgvet »

Help! My Simpson Colonel that I bought about a year ago has started shedding bristles. I have been finding 2-4 per shave. This started about 3 weeks ago. I've only used Harris soap with it. I use this as my everyday brush so I is used 4-5 times per week. I haven't used any cleaners or other chemicals on it. Is this normal? Will it stop? Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Jedidiah
Bamboo flyrods, clear creeks, and old Jeeps
"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

my guess is the bristles are breaking off rather than coming loose from the glue. maybe you can investigate to see which one it is. if they are breaking off then it may be from how you are treating the brush. just a guess :-)
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Vulfix Old Original

Post by Vulfix Old Original »

Brushes seldom start shedding after a year, there must be a reason, particularly as it has lost none previously during regular use.

It may be mildew spores within the base of the knot, it could be the way the brush is dried, the way in which the brush is used, in fact a variety of reasons.

I'd recommend giving the knot a damn good shampoo & rinse in warm water, then apply a comb to it very gently to see what else comes out.

Like the early stages of a disease, if it is a mildew problem (usually as a result of insufficient drying times between shaves & the brush being left in an unvented area) & caught early enough, it's possible to rectify the situation.

Hope this helps a little?
Follow us on Twitter @AESimpson1919
dawgvet

Post by dawgvet »

I'll try and see what comes out. I always hang it in my razor/brush stand whick sits on my bathroom counter in a newer, climate controlled house to dry. I shave about every 1-2 days.
Thanks,
Jedidiah
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

I rotate brushes, and have found it may take up to three days for a brush to dry thoroughly in the center of the bristle. Unfortunately, I had a couple of brushes that I used to use pretty frequently, and the moisture got so bad I could actually smell the mildew in the brush; and I though I was drying the brushes very well. I gave them a good bath and let them dry really well before I used them again and have never had a problem. As in your case, I had noticed a couple of loose bristles and didn't know why. Never had a problem since.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
Dripp

Post by Dripp »

sounds like its time to buy some brushes and develop a rotation:)
Dripp in Cincinnati
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Jedidah, how do you dry your brush after rinsing it?

I gently squeeze any excess water out, give the brush a few firm shakes, wipe carefully on a clean towel and then leave to dry in a well vented place.

The above seems to work well.

Gareth
Fido

Post by Fido »

Dripp wrote:sounds like its time to buy some brushes and develop a rotation:)
Quite right. The more the merrier!
dawgvet

Post by dawgvet »

Thanks for all the input. I emailed Simpson so we'll see what happens.