Question:

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
drumana

Post by drumana »

I think the main purpose of a shaving brush is to produce and release lather. The easier it does this, the better. An ergonomic handle is a close second and then comes aesthetics.

I agree with others that exfoliation isn't a big deal. Even the softest brush is exfoliating enough to lift whiskers and saturate them with lather. Indeed, your fingers can do this. The act of shaving is also quite exfoliating. That being said, if you want to scrub the hell out of your face with a stiff brush, go for it! To each his own.
-Andrew-
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here are the characteristics I want in a brush:

large/solid/hefty
badger, soft not scritchy
makes outstanding lather and easily transfers the lather to the face
feels good in the hand and on the face
looks good when not in use

Exfoliate is something my skin automatically does by itself.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I would suggest another order, eliminate “stimulates hair and exfoliates” since as previously mentioned the brush does neither, and add a new category to think about (actually, a category we discuss incessantly regarding brushes, but this is the proper name for it).

1. Produces lather:

While the soap/cream may be the driving force here, I think the brush plays some role. I have brushes that seem to do better with creams, and ones that are perfect for soap. Perhaps it force of habit o repetition, but some brushes seem to produce just the optimal cream/water or soap/water ratios.

2. Is ergonomic:

It’ surprising how handle design, brush size/shape can affect the experience and efficacy of producing and applying lather. The variety of designs likely speaks to the differences we perceive in that experience.

3. Organoleptics:

Every time you touch your skin, nerve receptors transmit signals to the brain, thus creating an experience. This is the topic of organoleptics, critically important in the cosmetics industry in product formulation (Is a cream “dry” or “oily?”). The feeling of my Polo 8 is very different from my Chubby 2: While each brush performs the same function, the sensory experience is quite different, and thus is another subjective factor contributing to the variety of brush preferences.

4. Is aesthetically pleasing:

Of course, another reason for the variety of available brushes, as this is in the eye of the beholder.

Steve
ShadowsDad

Re: Question:

Post by ShadowsDad »

Vulfix Old Original wrote:If I asked you to name the primary functions of your shaving brush, what would they be?

As a manufacturer we want to produce a shaving tool that, ...

(a) Stimulates hair, lifts beard & exfoliates. :wink:
(b) Produces lather (although the soap or cream is the driving force here).
(c) Is ergonomic.
(d) Is aesthetically pleasing.

Probably in that order.

Interested in your comments, particularly regarding point (a).
AS far as "a" goes, Stimulation, maybe, the others, I don't see how lather or the brush can lift the beard, unless it's really a beard, with whiskers a few inches long. Whiskers are way too stiff when they are short, the only thing in our arsenal that lifts them is the blade.

I know for me, if I don't face lather it really upsets my day, so there is probably something to stimulation. For the shave it's not very important, but for my head it's of primary importance.

I think I would agree with your order, but I'd kick out 2/3rds of "a".
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Great to see all the sides to this discussion. Not sure where I land to be honest -- I guess for me, it's about having a nice tool to work with lathering.... and that's about it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Vulfix Old Original

Post by Vulfix Old Original »

From Wiki ... that 'font' of all knowledge :wink:

"Bringing a shave brush across one's skin produces a mild exfoliation. Because a shave brush is most often used with a shave soap, this effect often replaces the pre-shave routine of washing and applying lotion to the face.

The greatest benefit from shave brush use is the tendency to soften and lift facial hair before a shave. Applying shaving cream by hand mats hair or raises it unevenly. Shave brush use, however, requires agitation of the soap or cream in a mug to form a lather suitable for a shave, before application of the lather to the face in a gentle circular motion. Therefore, a razor does not need to be pressed to the skin in order to provide a close shave. For this reason, straight razors (or high-quality safety razors) are most often used with a shave brush, as it replaces the benefit of multiple blades."
Follow us on Twitter @AESimpson1919
paddy

Post by paddy »

putting on your trousers in the morning and wearing them will cause you to lose hundreds of skin cells from the surface of your legs throughout the day. therefore trousers are a leg exfoliator.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Vulfix Old Original

Post by Vulfix Old Original »

Get a patent to that man ... !!!

"Paddy's Exfoliating Pants" Available from all good hardware stores ....
paddy wrote:putting on your trousers in the morning and wearing them will cause you to lose hundreds of skin cells from the surface of your legs throughout the day. therefore trousers are a leg exfoliator.
Follow us on Twitter @AESimpson1919
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mark and Paddy, that's the best laugh I've had in a while. Funny stuff guys!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
paddy

Post by paddy »

plus if you wear trousers tight enough you get the added bonus of, ahem, 'massage' in certain places, which may even produce 'lather' in certain circumstances. however in this scenario the 'asthetically pleasing' score tends to drop off.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

Vulfix Old Original wrote:Get a patent to that man ... !!!

"Paddy's Exfoliating Pants" Available from all good hardware stores ....
paddy wrote:putting on your trousers in the morning and wearing them will cause you to lose hundreds of skin cells from the surface of your legs throughout the day. therefore trousers are a leg exfoliator.
File it before Levis does!!!
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

1) It needs to scrub (lift whiskers) without being prickly. Floppy bloomers dont work well for me.
2) Needs to hold enough water to build up lather from a puck and hold enough lather easily released for 2 passes and touch ups (although I usually only do one)
3) Needs to be aesthetically nice and ergonomic.
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

I agree with those that put producing AND applying lather as the top function. If you make it on your face it is all in one. I bowl lather, so I still need to apply the lather to my face.

Ergonomics is next for me. If I cannot hang on to the brush I reduce the probability of accomplishing the lathering. At a minimum it becomes a pain in the backside and I do not put up with things that detract from my shave (well except for the Missus, she is allowed to interrupt).

Aesthetics are a nice to have for me. If it works well why not try to make it look nice, but if it has to look like a baboon’s butt to perform superbly, so be it.

The exfoliation/beard lifting is debatable as there does not seem to be a lot of hard evidence. To me it does not seem unreasonable that a shaving brush will do this. However, reading through the responses it would appear that many shaving brush buyers do not care (assuming you consider the respondents a representative sample of shaving brush users). I think that is worth knowing.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
drumana

Post by drumana »

Quarterstick wrote:
The exfoliation/beard lifting is debatable as there does not seem to be a lot of hard evidence... However, reading through the responses it would appear that many shaving brush buyers do not care (assuming you consider the respondents a representative sample of shaving brush users). I think that is worth knowing.
Well said. +1
-Andrew-
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Assuming that exfoliation is something inherent in a brush, it is not something that a brush manufacturer can modify in a given brush. All the other items listed can be affected by design, bristle selection, and density of bristle packing. Personally, I hate brushes that have smooth, slick handles because I am reasonably messy and get lather all over the place. As has been noted by some others, I have dropped a few brushes. My go to brushes now are either wooden handles, which seem to deal with the soap better, and some custom handles with ridges to give a better grip (the Rooney beehive is a great example.) Kind of the same issue with razor handles; beyond me why anyone makes one with little or no knurling.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mark, While years ago many of us bought the usual Trumpers/Taylors/C-M etc. business about 'standing those whiskers up' and the newer pitch about 'exfoliation', as you can see, most of us no longer do. No. For me, a brush should help facilitate a good cutting lather and hopefully be comfortable to use and aesthetically pleasing. I happen to like brushes that are not overly stiff or harsh and favour most of the old classic handle designs ( I'm not that picky, but FWIW, your Vulfix 300 series handles are amongst my favourites ).
Regards,
Gordon
harper

Post by harper »

I want a brush that feels good on my face when I use it and that is why my brush of choice is my nice and soft Vulfix. It makes lather well and feels great when I apply the lather. I have three other brushes -- Rooney, Shavemac, some private brand (not a Plisson) from a store in Paris ... but they are all stiffer than the Vulfix, When I used soaps a stiffer brush worked better for me but I have not used anything but creams for over a decade now ... maybe longer ... and about 360 times a year I pick up the Vulfix by preference, Like my Lexus, it is going to outlast me
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Aftermarket grips for handguns are big business. There are custom companies that take hand measurements, use 'recoil absorbing' materials and offer smooth or checkering for those two schools of thought.
The german Luger PO8 Parabellum is considered by many the most natural pointing handgun and the Colt Peacemaker the best for recoil control.
And for all this, one of the best long range handguns ( even sans detachable wooden holster/shoulder stock)is the old C 96 Mauser 'broomhandle' or 'cowsfoot.'I know, I owned and shot winning groups at rediculous distances with one. Do a websearch and look at it's 'ergonomics.'

Market a brush lazer engraved with Player Cigarette playing cards of Gilbert and Sullivan plays or the three greek marble columns and people will buy the things.

Would you wash a goose for Christmas dinner by rubbing it vigorously with a basting brush? Would you skip prepping a house for painting and depend on pig brustle brushes?

I buy brushes to make lather. Wax on-wax off.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The brush enjoys a degree of emotional attachment that doesn't necessarily carry over to other implements and compounds associated with shaving, and that attraction is further complicated by the value and the aesthetics of the brush.
Gary

merkri

Post by merkri »

Does "aesthetically pleasing" mean "fun" also?

I think producing lather is the primary function of a brush. After that I'd say fun and aesthetically pleasing, not necessarily in that order.

But "producing lather" and "fun" also have some overlap. Maybe a Venn diagram is in order.

As others have said, for me exfoliation is the job of the razor and washcloth.

My beard rarely gets thick enough for lifting hairs, etc. to be much of a factor.