Help: Shipping a Simpson back to factory

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
dawgvet

Help: Shipping a Simpson back to factory

Post by dawgvet »

I've read where some of you mention shipping a brush back to the manufacturer. I have a Simpson that was shedding and wanted Simpson's to check it out. Went to local UPS Store and they quoted me $130 for UPS or $65 via Postal priority mail. Holy crap! I can buy a new brush cheaper! What have you all done?
Thanks,
Jed[/img]
Bamboo flyrods, clear creeks, and old Jeeps
"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

My one and only "shedder" I took back to the dealer where it was purchased. I walked out with a new brush. Most dealers are pretty helpful with this type of problem.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I don't understand the $65 USPS quote. You can mail a small flat rate Priority Mail parcel (not insured, however) to the UK for $16.95. I've had delays in mailing to and from the UK, but never a loss.
_______
John
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

That simply can't be right. I've had several brushes sent to me over the last few years from the States and there is no way it ever cost anything like $65. I would go back and check again with someone else.

Gareth
greyhawk

Re: Help: Shipping a Simpson back to factory

Post by greyhawk »

dawgvet wrote:I've read where some of you mention shipping a brush back to the manufacturer. I have a Simpson that was shedding and wanted Simpson's to check it out. Went to local UPS Store and they quoted me $130 for UPS or $65 via Postal priority mail. Holy crap! I can buy a new brush cheaper! What have you all done?
Thanks,
Jed[/img]
I'd wager that the UPS store is marking up the postage (they are independent franchises). But that is ridiculous. Try going directly through the Post Office and I think you'll find the rate is much less. (You can get a price online at USPS.com.)
scareyourpassenger

Post by scareyourpassenger »

You can also print postage through paypal. The bulk shipping option can be found if you search on the site.
drumana

Post by drumana »

You can definitely get a cheaper rate than $65 at USPS. :shock:
-Andrew-
brothers

Post by brothers »

International USPS shipping is around $15, even with extras like delivery confirmation, insurance, etc., (if those are available international) it shouldn't be much more than somewhere around $20.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

brothers wrote:International USPS shipping is around $15, even with extras like delivery confirmation, insurance, etc., (if those are available international) it shouldn't be much more than somewhere around $20.
Unfortunately insurance and delivery confirmation are not available unless you bump it up to Express Mail which is extremely pricey. Fortunately for International mail, the weight limit for First Class is 4 pounds (rather than the 12 oz limit we have domestically). Shipping a brush via USPS 1st Class International should cost around $8.00 to $10.00. Keep the customs form number as it can be used as a quasi tracking device.

Transit times to the UK are usually about a week but there can be customs delays.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

I shipped my Colonel to Simpson to have it checked, and it didn't cost near what you have been quoted. Believe I sent mine via the U.S. post office, probably not ensured, and doubt that it cost more than $10-$15. Simpson paid to have it returned. That was about a year ago.
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Gareth wrote:That simply can't be right. I've had several brushes sent to me over the last few years from the States and there is no way it ever cost anything like $65. I would go back and check again with someone else.

Gareth
I agree with Gareth, I too live in the UK and have many shipments from the US, but certainly not at $65. Must be an error!
John
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Jonnieboy61 wrote:
I agree with Gareth, I too live in the UK and have many shipments from the US, but certainly not at $65. Must be an error!
It all depends on how you have it shipped.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Perhaps you could revisit that UPS store with a Louisville Slugger in hand and ask for a new quote. I've never paid more than $15 USPS to ship to the UK.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
dawgvet

Post by dawgvet »

I sent mine in yesterday after going to the post office. $16 Priority Mail. UPS Stores must be crazy or the lady put something in wrong.
Bamboo flyrods, clear creeks, and old Jeeps
"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ