GFT Sandalwood cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
drumana

GFT Sandalwood cream

Post by drumana »

Hi folks,

Wondering, for those of you in The Know, how the scent of GFT Sandalwood shave cream compares to the scent of TOBS Sandalwood shave cream. Also, comparative performance notes are of interest...

Thanks!
-Andrew-
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I found it was similar to Crabtrees Sandalwood cream, but not as strong. Can comment on TOBS.
drumana

Post by drumana »

Thanks. If I remember correctly, C&E Sandalwood had a sweet/cinnamon note to it, similar to AoS's Sandalwood. Good to know...
-Andrew-
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I had to go and sniff them to remember the scents. :lol:
The Trumper's definitely smells similar to the C&E version and the Taylor's has a more soft scent to it, more flowery if you will.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Andrew, No, they do not smell that similiar. Trumpers is in the more 'standard' English shaving cream style scent-wise; similiar to the old Coate's, the original T&H, or D R Harris's/Greenpond ( sigh...I know this isn't of much help if you haven't used any of these, now discontinued, products )...or yeah, even the C&E to a degree. The Taylors is in their proprietary 'Sandalwood' fragrance, that is, it matches the cologne and aftershave they offer in that scent. For me, although I like and use the Taylors Sandalwood cologne & A/S the same scent in a shave cream seems too overpowering so I prefer the Trumpers. Both lather and shave quality is very high...not much difference in that department I don't think.
Regards,
Gordon
harper

Post by harper »

I was never strong on sandalwood as a fragrance but thought I would buy some C&E cream as it was highly recommended by a number of people on this forum. I bought it and the scent was so overpowering that it put me off sandalwood forever. The lather was fine but I could not get past the scent.
brothers

Post by brothers »

At one time I explored through several of the Sandalwoods, including those mentioned above. Regarding GFT's sandalwood and TOBS version, Trumper's was a pleasing and mild fragrance, similar to Coate's (now discontinued) and T&H (lately reformulated- I haven't tried the new). I did enjoy the Trumpers cream. TOBS' sandalwood fragrance, on the other hand, was a bit too sharp, and not my cup of tea.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

tobs sandalwood is the first scent from them that i'm not crazy about. strong cologne scent and doesn't remind me of sandalwood at all.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Andrew I find the two brands are equal in performance but the scents are quite different. Trumpers is richer and a bit more sweet, Taylors more dry and herbally, both quite good and like their colognes the one I use just depends on my mood that morning.
Regards,
Squire
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Can only speak to TOBS and C&E. TOBS has a sweet, spicy note. C&E is dry, heavy and very soapy smelling. I like both, but like TOBS better. Have only sampled GFT a long while ago, I do not remember it well enough to comment - except that I didn't buy it.
drumana

Post by drumana »

Thanks, guys... I've never tried the discontinued products that some of you have mentioned, so cannot use that as a base line. But thanks for the feedback. I've been really enjoying the TOBS Sandalwood as of late. Sometimes I find it too cologne-like, and like someone mentioned, I'm not sure if it actually smells like sandalwood, but it's a nice scent anyways. Reminds me of some good incense I used to have. The aftershave gel is a dead match and quite a nice product. I might give the GFT Sandalwood a try, but it has some competition with the Spanish Leather cream.
-Andrew-