Mystic Water Shaving Soap Review

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
greyhawk

Mystic Water Shaving Soap Review

Post by greyhawk »

I happened upon a thread about Mystic Shaving soap (mystic4men.com) and procured a sample of the Lime from the maker, Michelle. She is an artisan soap maker based in Maryland, has apparently been making a very broad range of soaps for a long time, and recently branched into the shaving soap market. The soap is a soft, Italian-style soap (a la Cella or P160), and what caught my eye is that the first ingredient is tallow! She sent me a small sample puck, and I put it into a container I use for soaps:
Disclaimer: I received the sample for free. However, I have no interest in her company.
Her website lists the scents as: Bay Rum, Lime, Marrakesh, Wild Lavender, and Unscented. I read somewhere she is formulating a few more scents. Price for a 4 oz. (3") puck: $9.91 (puck only), $11.79 (in a plastic "travel tub") Shipping looks reasonable at $3.50 for a single soap.
She does offer a batch of 3 samples for $3.50 (plus $3.50 shipping)

As for ingredients, the website says this:
The main ingredient in my shaving soap is tallow. But since I want to use only the best ingredients, I render the tallow myself from beef suet that I get from a fellow farmers market vendor who raises grass fed beef on her local Maryland farm. I add organic unrefined shea nut butter, castor oil, palm oil, avocado oil and stearic acid along with extra glycerin, bentonite clay, aloe vera leaf juice, wheat protein and liquid silk. It is saponified with both sodium and potassium hydroxide.
I decided to use two different brushes to see how it lathered up for me. I soaked both brushes and put a little hot water on top of the soap while I took a shower. Michelle had said in an e-mail that some guys have found the soap to generate "bubbly" or airy lather and surmised that too much water was used at the outset. So, I made sure to shake out the brushes well and loaded the soap very thoroughly (approx. 30-45 seconds). I used a Semogue 2011 LE badger (size 1), which is dense, has a lot of backbone, and a fair amount of scritch (a very good soap brush). As a counterpoint, I also chose a Savile Row 3824, which is softer and less dense, although also an excellent brush.

I lathered the Semogue for my first pass. I had to play with the mix a bit, adding water a few times as the soap was rather "dry" at first. I eventually got a satisfactory mix, resulting in a very smooth, mousse-like, creamy lather.

The lime scent was quite strong and, to my nose, very accurate.

For the second pass, I used the SR3824. Again, I got a very creamy smooth lather that provided excellent lubrication.

Either brush held enough lather to complete three passes. After shaving, I squeezed the remaining lather out of the brush and applied it to my face while I cleaned everything up. I had a few nicks/weepers (as usual due to my poor technique/desire for BBS) and they were all sealed. No need for any witch hazel or even ASB, although I used some because I like to :)

So, I'll use the same ratings I've seen here recently:
Ease of lathering: 8/10 - I've only used it once, but I think it will be pretty easy to get dialed in. Not as easy as some, but no problem for me with either brush.
Longevity of lather: 9/10 - very good.
Scent: 10/10 - I can only speak for the lime scent, but I like it a lot.
General skincare: 10/10 - Left my skin very smooth and very "moisturized". The conditioning properties were excellent - reminded me a bit of MWF in that regard.
Price: 10/10 - compared to most of the soaps I've seen (especially the top-drawer models), this is a real bargain.
Would I buy again: It was a free sample, but I will definitely be placing an order.

The website is very informative and offers other products (bath soap, facial soap, shampoo bars, etc.) at very reasonable prices. I can tell Michelle is obsessed with what she does and I am impressed with her offerings! I think I will be trying some of the other soaps (like the sea salt soap) as well.
GreekGuy

Post by GreekGuy »

Excellent and informative review.

While I enjoy soft soaps, I get tired of the plethora of "almond" scents out there. The TFS BN is a very nice change of pace, along with the RR XXX. And this sounds like a maker finally doing something different on the soft soap theme.

Have you tried either one of those, or AdP, that you could compare to these soaps?
-Nick
OtherMoe

Post by OtherMoe »

Very nice review!

I was one of the folks that initially had problems with thin airy lather that dissipated quickly.

Once the water/soap ratio is figured out, this soap produces a thick, luxurious lather that lasts. I also found the slickness and skin care to be outstanding.

A very good soap indeed!
Last edited by OtherMoe on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------
-Moe
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

+1 on too much almond.

I used p 160 this morning and was thinking at the time, "There are many scents that I like better than this."

Thanks a lot for the review, Greyhawk. :wink: You've just given me yet another product that I think I should try!
Last edited by MaxP on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
greyhawk

Scent update

Post by greyhawk »

Michelle emailed this to me:
The scents I have curing now are Sandalwood Rose, Peppermint with menthol, Mysore Sandalwood, Lily of the Valley, Coconut and more of the Lime and Marrakesh.  There are others I want to make but I have to render more tallow first
GreekGuy

Post by GreekGuy »

The Sandalwood Rose sounds nice.

If I were Michelle, I would try to stray off the path just enough. And I think the Sandalwood Rose is a good idea. For scents like Lavender and Sandalwood, there are plenty of excellent producers. I think producing something a tad different gives further reason to try them
-Nick
greyhawk

Post by greyhawk »

GreekGuy wrote:Excellent and informative review.

While I enjoy soft soaps, I get tired of the plethora of "almond" scents out there. The TFS BN is a very nice change of pace, along with the RR XXX. And this sounds like a maker finally doing something different on the soft soap theme.

Have you tried either one of those, or AdP, that you could compare to these soaps?
Thanks for the kind words.
Regrettably, I have not tried any of those soaps. I have not been able to force myself to pull the trigger on AdP (or MdC, for that matter) simply because of the price. RazoRock I just haven't gotten around to trying, although I intend to. I have enough soap and cream to last for years, so it's hard to justify buying more (although that usually doesn't stop me) :roll:
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Great review!
JEFF
dosco

Post by dosco »

Interesting, thanks for posting.

Since I live in Maryland, I'll try and find her booth at local art shows, etc.
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

I have Lily of the Valley. This is a very good soap, IMO.
celestino

Post by celestino »

Very nice review, sir. i have been using Michelle's soaps for over three months, now, and they are fantastic!! Highly recommend them!!
dosco

Post by dosco »

I purchased a puck of Michelle's Bay Rum shave soap yesterday at the Riverdale Farmer's Market.

Used it this morning. Nice scent and easy to lather.

Still have some of the scent "on me" at the moment, it's nice and not overly cloying, choking, or obnoxious.

My skin is not dry either, however I cannot be sure to attribute that to the soap or the AS.

I should add that I spoke with her for a few minutes at her booth yesterday and she is very warm and friendly. She very much likes to discuss her product and is concerned that the buyer is clear on how to use her product.

I will definitely buy from her again.
jss

Post by jss »

Nice review Grey..Thanks....
Best regards,

Julian
EastTexasMan

Post by EastTexasMan »

The coconut is by far my favorite scent.

Also I find this soap very addiction, I just cannot quite using it.
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

nice review greyhawk...sounds good !