Science gets it right ...

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Persius

Science gets it right ...

Post by Persius »

Proof at last! of something that we all know!
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

One of the great myths in our history is the bearded 'mountain man.'
The truth is native peoples had deep cultural aversions to facial hair
and fur traders wishing to profit were all clean shaven.
AxelH

Post by AxelH »

Not trying to comment on all of humanity here, but, in my experience life is a little easier because the jawline is concealed and the chin's profile is also subtly hidden. I won't claim to be able to hide my adam's apple but for me wearing a beard seems to "ease the burdon of living" by not drawing attention to my masculine secondary sex characteristics.

As for bearded faces looking "more aggressive" I thought it was me associating with a yucky-headed grandfather and orthodox Jews and religiously-inspired militant creatures (hint: we're trying to kill the extremist terrorist sub-set of 'em overseas!) that may be less than sociable. Also irritable old curmudgeons in general...

So I never wore a beard to be attractive, actually thought I derived some benefit from a little of the opposite. Just for my personality/face combo. Interesting read!
Lover of cold, hard steel.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I just like to shave.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:I just like to shave.
+1
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Persius

Post by Persius »

Squire wrote:I just like to shave.
Me too.

I just thought it was mildly amusing that "Science" bothers with these things, as they are a matter of taste, fashion, etc, etc.

Although, I must say, that I think, on the whole, men look better clean-shaven, and I have now come to a point where I cannot wear anything over a two-day beard as it makes me feel both uncomfortable and less clean.
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

This thread brings to mind that classic Popeye cartoon where Popeye and Brutus hear Olive singing 'I love a Clean Shavin' Man'. Then the rest of the cartoon Popeye and Brutus pummel each other trying to get a barber shave before the other only to find in the end Olive is still singing that song as she walks off with a fully bearded Whimpy! :D
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

brothers

Post by brothers »

Folks have to have jobs, and some of those folks are guys whose photos are used in ads. Those guys are professional manniquins, and they do what they're told, including growing a week's growth so they can get called to do a commercial. Those commercial images generate demand for products through obligatory sex appeal. The gullible are told if they buy the product and stop shaving for a couple of days, they'll become the guy whose contrived image they saw, enjoying the admiring gaze and the hope of attracting a desirable companion. Right. And the world keeps spinning around. :roll:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I don't like any kind of facial hair, especially beards. Whenever I see a bloke with a beard I wonder what he is trying to hide. I find goatees quite interesting in that they remind me of the posterior of a person's body; why would anyone want to have one?
dosco

Post by dosco »

Rufus wrote: why would anyone want to have one?

Errr ... because I can(?).

When I was in the military I had to shave. Now I can wear a goatee, which allows me to rebel by having facial hair whilst simultaneously being clean shaven on my cheeks and neck.

But mostly because I can.
Glasstream15

Post by Glasstream15 »

I was 35 (half of my life ago) when my beard turned bright white. A white beard doesn't go well with a full head of naturally dark blonde hair so clean shaved is the order of the day.
Live Free! Die Well!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

dosco wrote:
Rufus wrote: why would anyone want to have one?

Errr ... because I can(?).

When I was in the military I had to shave. Now I can wear a goatee, which allows me to rebel by having facial hair whilst simultaneously being clean shaven on my cheeks and neck.

But mostly because I can.
I first grew my beard 40 years ago largely to see if I could. I have had it ever since then and it is such a part of how I know myself that I would never shave it off. I have shaved my neck and shaped it a bit at the cheeks for 35 years.

Considering how natural a part of manhood beard growth is, it does just seem right to me that some facial hair should be grown out and cultivated on a man.

- Murray
merkri

Post by merkri »

I thought I read of another similar study, but they found that women liked men with stubble the most.

E.g.,

Favorite was stubble, then clean-shaven, then beard.

Maybe I'm making that up, though.

I'm still going to shave either way.