Turning Creams into Soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The first two are met already, and the third will only be known in time, but I would expect a dry and firm soap to be better able to resist fungi and bacteria than a soft moist one. The Coates has reached the firmness of window putty (remember that?) that had been in situ for a few months - firm pressure would let a small boy leave a thumbprint in it and thus incur the wrath of the homeowner). I suppose there are a couple of generations now that think windows are made in factories and replacing single panes with brad nails and putty will be alien to them.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Just wondering if giving the occasional stir would help the cream to dry more uniformely so you don't get the 'dry lid'?
Eric
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Just started a tub of Taylor's rose (old, old style). It weighs 205g, and I'll weigh it again afterwards.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I have a variety of creams in different states - some have remained in cream form, others appear to be in transition and still others have aged gracefully into wonderful fully functional soaps.

I did try to keep my creams hydrated however I couldn't keep up and grew impatient/lazy which led to a lack of maintenance

So now nature and time take their course, like good wine or cheese ( :) ) and it is what it is - and at the end of the day it all works very well regardless of actual consistency!

BTW you have the coolest gadgets Chris!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

drmoss_ca wrote:I suppose there are a couple of generations now that think windows are made in factories and replacing single panes with brad nails and putty will be alien to them.

Chris
I think this cream to soap experiment is pretty cool.

BTW, when I needed windows for my chicken coop, I built them from lumber. Not because I had to since all I had to do was buy an "Uncle Henrys" for $1.25 and get free windows for the taking. But because I wanted to. Because I could, had never done it before and had the time. Simple windows, but I know what holds them together, how to repair them, and yes they use window putty.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

And don't the linseed oil smell good?

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Try the refrigerator. Take a diner plate, spread it in a thin layer over the plate and put it in the refrigerator. After it drys out on top (about 5-7 days), take a spoon and turn it the best you can and leave it for a few more days and then pack it in a container of your choice. The refrigerator will suck the moisture out.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have left tubs open in the freezer for weeks at a time, hoping for the same thing - but no luck. I'm quite happy with the effect of 24 hours in the film drier, which reduces volume by 1/3 (partly air) and removes about 15g/15ml water from a full tub.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Freezer won't work, it has to be a refrigerator.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've been wondering about destroying some of the stackable shelves in my food dehydrator to make room for a tub of cream, but I might be better off spreading the cream out in a thin layer on some greaseproof paper and simply placing it on an intact shelf. Trouble is, I might end up making rose-scented jerky next time I use it for its main purpose!
The four tubs I have of dehydrated creams are now pretty hard and entirely delightful to use. Original Taylor's Rose today, with a Somerset PJ3 Super and my 8/8 Friodur. Heaven!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Raag

Post by Raag »

Do you have any pictures of the transmuted soap? This is a really cool idea :)
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Would leaving a tub of cream open for several weeks accomplish the same thing? Reason I ask is that I don't have a dehydrator, but I do have an empty shelf!

I have a tub of Taylor Lemon & Lime that is pretty dense and firm, and I like that consistency. I have a spare tub of T&H Lavender that I'd like to be like that. Right now it's like cake frosting.

Dave
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

drmoss_ca wrote:....window putty (remember that?) that had been in situ for a few months - firm pressure would let a small boy leave a thumbprint in it and thus incur the wrath of the homeowner). I suppose there are a couple of generations now that think windows are made in factories and replacing single panes with brad nails and putty will be alien to them.

Chris
Ah, but the real memories and skill: attempting to remove window putty (and the nails) that had been in situ for years (decades?) and was past the hardness of shaving soap...more like weak dried plaster and not having the putty knife slip.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)