Google Chrome vs. Safari

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
a-cut-above

Google Chrome vs. Safari

Post by a-cut-above »

Have any Mac users made the switch from Safari to Google Chrome? What are your impressions? Better, worse, no difference? Any insights, tips, warnings, and advice appreciated.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm using it at the moment, until Safari gets sorted out. A pain to import and rearrange bookmarks as you like, and a bit slower loading pages, but otherwise quite functional.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

I've been a Firefox guy from about Day One, but a friend of mine has been trying it out over the last month or so. He says it's faster for him than Safari. He's still using Safari so he hasn't had to broach bookmark-import issues.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

My daughter has only run Chrome on her Mac Book Pro - and she has never had any issues with it. As Chris noted -- until Safari gets sorted, it seems like the better option.

I have been using Chrome for about 6 months now -- and only use FireFox when I have to for work -- as only Firefox is supported for our intranet - including our expense and travel tools.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

I don't seem to have any issues running Safari 5.1.7 on my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

What problems are you all experiencing?

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

I was "encouraged" to try it by my two college-aged children who, with eyes rolling and the "You're so yesterday" tone of voice, told me it was "so much better" than Safari. One would have thought I was still using a telegraph!

It loads faster than Safari when opened but I am not sure the subsequent pages load any faster. The bookmarks can be imported but they wind up in a separate folder, so as Chris said, they need to be rearranged. And yes, it was a pain.

I did have occasional problems with Safari: graphics sometimes didn't load and I wound up with the little blue squares with the question marks. There is the occasional website which doesn't work well with Safari, like the bill paying function on my bank's website (freezes randomly, error messages). The customer rep at the help desk immediately asked if I had Safari before I finished describing the problem. Chrome is working so far (Firefox worked but slower). Safari became less reliable for me when I "upgraded" from 10.6 to 10.7 (I am not sure it was an UPgrade; I liked 10.6x better.)

The integration of Chrome with everything google is supposed to be excellent but I have not tried to take advantage of all those features yet. Has anyone found any "must use" features of Chrome?

Chris and Wendell, what do you mean ".....until Safari gets sorted out"? Are there some major glitches?
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

There's a memory leak that becomes apparent after a while with multiple tabs open. It becomes unresponsive.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

drmoss_ca wrote:There's a memory leak that becomes apparent after a while with multiple tabs open. It becomes unresponsive.
Chris
Is this limited to Lion, do you know? All in all, I've been pretty happy with Safari. Especially Reader!

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am an absolute neophite with Apple products. My daughter bought her MacBook Pro 'cos she always wanted a Mac -- so I can't comment on the technology stuff -- all I know is that she had all sorts of issues with Safari, initially, so moved back to Chrome which she had been using for some time on her Win-based notebook.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Just had a screen freeze up while using Chrome. Two tabs open. Maybe it's OSX 7 more than Safari vs. Chrome?
Dave