Tipping at the sushi bar

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
a-cut-above

Tipping at the sushi bar

Post by a-cut-above »

What is the correct tipping practice when one eats at the sushi bar? Service is given both by a waiter/waitress (set up, beverage, side dishes if ordered, etc.) and by the sushi chef who takes your order directly from you. Do you leave all the tip with the check, put it in the jar, or split it between the two?
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Depends on the setup. If there is a jar for the chef, I tip him there and the waitress with the check. If not, I just leave one tip and leave the rest to them to figure out.
Jim
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

I do what Kyle does.

I read some time ago that you were supposed to buy (or offer to buy) the itamae (sushi chef) a drink from the bar. I tried it once and was declined; I've never seen anyone else try that (successfully or not).
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Kyle76 wrote:Depends on the setup. If there is a jar for the chef, I tip him there and the waitress with the check. If not, I just leave one tip and leave the rest to them to figure out.
Jim,
How do you split the tip total between the waiter/waitress and the sushi chef?
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I generally tip waitresses ~20%. I usually put a couple of dollars in the chef's jar, if there is one. If not, I still stick with the 20%.
Jim