WILKINSON cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
malocchio

WILKINSON cream

Post by malocchio »

The three worst soaps I know of are the infamous Godrej puck,the Caswell-Massey puck and the Wilkinson puck in the blue plastic tub...I could not obtain lather from these 3 duds.The Wilkinson German blades are OK ,but ,IMHO,do not compare with the wonderful old British sword blades.I hesitated to write this review on the cream, I figured there were plenty already,but a search revealed little at all.I took 3 shaves,with 3 different brushes and the German Wilkinson cream.I am satisfied that although far far better than the sad puck,this cream rates a "fair-good" rating from me.The lather is a little on the weak side,the lube is mediocre,lasting power is far from the best.Will it do in a pinch ?Sure !,but there are so many better choices out there,I would not buy it ,..this one was a gift from a friend in Croatia...I will say this,the strong aluminum tube is good,and the scent is a nice coumarin clean aroma with a touch of citrus.

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sad reflection on what was once a good name.
Regards,
Squire
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Did Wilkinson at one time make better soaps and creams, or have they always been bad?
_______
John
AxelH

Post by AxelH »

I get good performance from my Wilkinson blue bowl shaving soap. I don't use it much and have had a bad shave from it because I wasn't used to it, but when I give myself time to adjust I can get good performance. I think it isn't as protective as some other soaps, it's more about glide than cushion.
Lover of cold, hard steel.
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Ron, I agree with you - the Wilkinson soap in the blue plastic bowl is lousy. I tried the cream with aloe and I didn't like it either, and I definitely recommend the Wilkinson shaving sticks.
JEFF
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

crackstar wrote:Ron, I agree with you - the Wilkinson soap in the blue plastic bowl is lousy.
+1
malocchio wrote:this one was a gift from a friend in Croatia
You should ask him to send you the Ralon shaving cream, which was an old brand in the former Yugoslavia. It would be fun to get your take on it.
Eric
malocchio

CROATIA

Post by malocchio »

He actually did send me the 2 Croatian creams ,with a disclaimer they were "so-so" in performance....After several shaves ,I wish I had a few more tubes ! These are far better than the Wilky cream,and a few others.I had wonderful shaves with both of these and they both smell great.Underrated for sure !
Flash G

Re: CROATIA

Post by Flash G »

malocchio wrote:He actually did send me the 2 Croatian creams ,with a disclaimer they were "so-so" in performance....After several shaves ,I wish I had a few more tubes ! These are far better than the Wilky cream,and a few others.I had wonderful shaves with both of these and they both smell great.Underrated for sure !
Fantastic :D

I see they have slightly altered the logo from my tube.

I've used up my tube of Ralo. I found the consistency to be runny and one needed to use a good dollop. I'll be picking up another tube next time I'm down by the Adriatic, mostly because of the scent.
Eric
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I like the green snot sucker in the last picture. :)

Chris
malocchio

lol

Post by malocchio »

EL Alamein wrote:I like the green snot sucker in the last picture. :)

Chris
....hahaha !!! you're sure right ! great for squirting a little alcohol into the ear to dry out excess water....