Dam, Dam, Dam. I'e Growwn Accustomed To My Boar

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Ouchmychin

Dam, Dam, Dam. I'e Growwn Accustomed To My Boar

Post by Ouchmychin »

A couple of months ago I expressed my dislike for my new Semoque 640 boar.
I received a lot of advice suggesting that it took at least a month of use to break in any boar so the ends split and their wonder happens. I have been trying to break the darned thing in by using every day or mostly, every other day ever since. I have watched the tips and never found more than a few that had split.
However, a while back one of you posted his advice to only dip the tip of the brush in water and keep the rest dry. I have found that that process works so well for me that my opinion of it has changed completely. I rotate it with my old favorite bristles and always prefer the action I get from it. It really scrubs the surface of my MWF soap and loads up well. I rub it all over my face then dip it in hot water till wet and repeat. Copious lather and totally controlled bristles. Split or not, I love this brush.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
1afc

Post by 1afc »

Always interesting to hear about these things as I've got a Semogue Boar coming.

I currently use an Omega Boar. Talk about a month to break in. I've had mine for about five months and it still smells like a wet dog. Works fine though.

I did buy a nice Semogue Badger but I find it a bit soft when using for face lathering with Vito's/Cella. The boar is much better because it is stiffer and seems to prep the face well.

The badger Work's well for softer soaps like TOBS Sandalwood though and just holds liters of water if you soak it.
Alan

I went to the avatar shop but they'd sold out!!
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

on some products the lather quality is not there but my big omega boar has perfect face feel! way better feel than any badger.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I go to my boars an awful lot these days. I find especially when I am doing the 2-pass shave that these are great latherers with any soap (only fair for me with cream, but I rarely go the cream route) and the backbone is wonderful. Sadly, my Semogue 1305 has been chipping recently, which makes me sad. :cry:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Funny, I am getting a better lather without soaking my brush. If just the tips are wet (about 1/4 inch) then the bristles are stiff enough to scrub the hardest soaps and fill the tips with soap. I just rub that stuff all over my face and then I dip the whole head in water briefly to wet them. I don' want lather running down to my chest. With just enough water to wet, the soap and bristles that are left, I can build up the richest face lather. I have enough left in the bristles to lather up for 2 more passes and then could do another. I prefer to rub the lather from my goatee onto my neck and chin and that from my sideburns onto each cheak. By then that lather has thickened up enough that the stubble stands up well to polishing to bbs. With the right technique and blade i don't have any scraping and face feels good when rinsed. Of course some aftershaves will make it burn like Woods of Windsor but that is why I use witch hazel and just add a spritz of other stuff to it to get the scent I like.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

Ouchmychin wrote:Funny, I am getting a better lather without soaking my brush. If just the tips are wet (about 1/4 inch) then the bristles are stiff enough to scrub the hardest soaps and fill the tips with soap. I just rub that stuff all over my face and then I dip the whole head in water briefly to wet them. I don' want lather running down to my chest. With just enough water to wet, the soap and bristles that are left, I can build up the richest face lather. I have enough left in the bristles to lather up for 2 more passes and then could do another. I prefer to rub the lather from my goatee onto my neck and chin and that from my sideburns onto each cheak. By then that lather has thickened up enough that the stubble stands up well to polishing to bbs. With the right technique and blade i don't have any scraping and face feels good when rinsed. Of course some aftershaves will make it burn like Woods of Windsor but that is why I use witch hazel and just add a spritz of other stuff to it to get the scent I like.
how dare you not soak your boar! do you realize you are flirting with bad karma? :lol:

seriously though, you should soak your boar bristles prior to using it. boar absorbs water whereas badger doesn't. you may start breaking the bristles and then you'll be out $10.00!!!
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Amazing how many different ways there are to lather!
brothers

Post by brothers »

The main thing is to find out what works best for you, and then using it to make the task of shaving as enjoyable as possible. Congrats!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

gil3591 wrote:seriously though, you should soak your boar bristles prior to using it. boar absorbs water whereas badger doesn't. you may start breaking the bristles and then you'll be out $10.00!!!
LOL!

Pete, I don't soak my boars either. A quick swirl in the basin of water, and maybe upend it for a minute or 2 while I tend to my face does it. So while it performs the same function it isn't a soak.

One question. I tried to find your boars specs the other night and drew a blank. What is the approximate loft of the bristle? Just curious, not writing a book. Have I asked this before?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

The loft is 55 mm and the knot is 23 mm. Look at bulgoose.com where they are sold and described.
Ouchmychin (Pete)