DE vs. Hydro

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BeatlesFan

DE vs. Hydro

Post by BeatlesFan »

In prior posts, I have mentioned my very favorable experiences with the Schick Hydro 3. I have found it to be far superior to any other cartridge razor that I’ve ever tried, and I’ve used many/most of them, starting back in the 1970s.

In recent months I have been shaving extensively with the Hydro, and I thought I would offer a quick summary of my DE / Hydro shaving comparisons.

In this forum, the first thing I would like to stress is that the Hydro truly does have wonderful blades. If these blades were made as DE’s, we’d all be raving about them. A large number of us came to SMF because of cartridge dissatisfaction and a belief that DE is a superior shaving system. For purposes of these comparisons, I’ve put aside that predilection, and just examined this (as honestly as possible) in terms of performance.

I compared the Hydro 3 to an optimal (for me) DE setup of my beloved late-40s Aristocrat and a NOS Gillette Platinum Plus blade.

So, here are my personal findings. As always around here, the usual “YMMV” applies.

Closeness

Hydro. The Schick provides a very close shave. I noted, however, that it is superior on large, flat surfaces (cheeks and neck, for example). It is not as good at nooks and crannies (lower lip, cleft chin, the corners of my jaw line), as the wide, flat shape of the head has trouble teasing stubble out of such places. Notably, it seems NOT to shave “too close” in the sense of causing ingrowns from below-the-skin shaving.

DE. My DE will shave nearly as closely overall, but with significantly more effort. In certain areas (as I noted) the DE can just nip in perfectly and get it done. However, in certain other areas, the DE doesn’t work as well, even after multiple passes and reductions.

Bottom line: Some pluses and minuses for each; about a net even, IMO.

Comfort.

Hydro. As many reviewers have commented, the Hydro sports a very large gel reservoir, which it dispenses liberally (especially in the early shaves). While some men don’t like the goopiness of it, in my experience it definitely adds to the comfort. As do the protective “bars” on the blades. My face doesn’t get red from a Hydro shave. Incidentally, I also find it impossible to cut myself with the Hydro, and damn near impossible to even get a “weeper.” I want to stress again, that I have not experienced ANY ingrowns, even after long, exclusive Hydro use (absolutely a “first” for me in the cartridge world).

DE. I do pretty well in terms of comfort with a DE, and goodness knows I’ve had decades of experience working with it. But, most days, I have some redness from it (even with all the best practices stuff) for an hour or two. I rarely cut myself, but I do often get weepers.

Bottom line: I give the Hydro a significant, but not overwhelming, comfort advantage over the DE.

Speed.

Hydro. Fast. Swoosh. As quick as you like. No gradual reduction. One fast XTG + very minor touch-up = Done.

DE. Well, most of us know how this goes. We take our time. It’s not a race. Multiple passes. Patience. All very well, but not always practical. The DE takes me nearly twice as long (say, 8-10 minutes instead of 4-5).

Bottom line: Hydro wins in this department by a wide margin.

TSA

Hydro. Approved.

DE. Disapproved.

Bottom Line: Game-set-and-match Hydro.

Price.

Hydro. Approximately $2.00 a cartridge.

DE. Anywhere from $.05 to $.50.

Bottom Line: DE wins in this department by a wide margin.

Clean, Straight Cuts Around Facial Hair.

Hydro. Like most multi-blades, it is hard to tell precisely where the cutting edge is hitting the skin. Gillette and Schick have tried various things to address this; the Hydro just punts. It’s not too easy to tell just what you’re cutting.

DE. Clean, straight lines on sideburns. Precise touch ups all the way around my moustache.

Bottom Line: DE wins in this department by a wide margin.

SUMMING UP:

I would say there is no clear winner. I wouldn’t sell either razor short, and I think each of them has its place.

If I am in the mood to take my time, do very careful cutting around my ‘stache and ‘burns, have that “old-timey” experience, etc., I really enjoy my DE. I also have a mild skin condition that causes me to get a certain amount of flaking on my face (seborrheic dermatitis), and the DE seems to do a better job of stripping that flakiness away.

However, in certain situations, I would always reach for my Hydro. Some examples: (1) I have an early morning meeting, and I don’t want to have any facial redness when I arrive. (2) I am in a hurry for whatever reason. (3) My face feels a little “roughed up” and I want a super-comfortable shave. (4) I am traveling by air.

So, I would urge my fellow SMF’ers to drop by your neighborhood drugstore and try the Hydro. I think it’s an especially good option for those with sensitive skin, and also for air travelers. I’m very pleased that it is on the market, I think it’s a great piece of kit, and I think any objective observer would have to agree that it has very high-quality (actually, outstanding) blades.

However, it’s not a clear winner in all categories, and I’m not evangelizing for it, nor am I suggesting that the DE be permanently retired or anything of the sort. Pros and cons all around, but I think it is a solid option that is worth taking out for a test-drive.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Good review. I like the H3 despite its bulk and gooey-ness. I can't use it every day because that third blade adds a degree of irritation I don't get with my two-blade Sensor or Trac II, or my injectors, but it doesn't seem to want to nick me, either. The blades last longer in my experience, so it's definitely cheaper than the outrageous costs of the Sensor carts. And since my precious NOS injector blades are being rationed, this gives me another viable option. Though I've settled on the Sensor as the best of the cartridge razors for me, I wouldn't hesitate to use the H3 as part of a small rotation.
Ron
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for the detailed review..... much appreciated.

personally i think that the fusion is better. One other difference I have is that for one pass shavers like myself, speed is a non starter :lol:

And an issue multi bladers never consider: clean up, especially when shaving more than one day growth. All that junk getting stuck between the blades.....ughhhhhhhhhhh

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Funny how individualistic all this stuff is -- the Sensor used to be my preferred cartridge (though I always thought DE was better than Sensor), but (for me) H3 is a quantum leap forward. And Trac II never worked for me at all . . . constant trouble with ingrown hairs.

This whole "YMMV" thing is why, apparently, it's not really possible to make universal judgments about this stuff! Anyway, for me, the Hydro is the best thing on t he current drugstore's shaving shelf, and I'm glad to have it in my toolbox.
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Clive, for me, even if I do a "1 pass" with a DE, it's really a modified one pass, with quite a lot of touch up, so (for me) it's really quite a bit slower than they Hydro. Also, I shave every day, so never have multiple day stubble . . . but there seems little doubt that for multi day growth, the DE would be more suitable for most men.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i'm too cheap to buy those expensive cartridges ever again. last time i took a trip i thought i'd try my old mach 3. it was a yucky experience.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

The Hydro and Fusion ProGlide are (in my experience) the very best shaving tools ever created ... with the ProGlide just pipping the Hydro because of the lube in the Hydro.

Pretty much killed my interest in DEs on the spot. So much so that I finally sold my last remaining DE and blades last week.

There.

Said it.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I tried the hydro and even bought blades in quantity when it came out because it was 'new' and priced competitively against the fusion i suppose for market share reasons.

probably becks induced imagination, but I also thinkt that the fusion cartridge lasted longer then the hydro. used three times a week, a fusion lasts several months before it really starts to tug. With the hydro i felt the tug within a couple of weeks

To each his own for sure, however, face shaving with a multi cartridge leaves my face stinging and red and overall its just not a pleasant experience and so even though once in a while i start thinking about migrating from scalp to face, i have to stop myself

clive
ateace

Post by ateace »

Thanks for this, BeatlesFan.

I appreciate the open-minded comparison.
My overall experiences with most wet shaving
formats is about the same - pros and cons for
each (speed, comfort, cost, air travel, etc.).

Carts still have a place in my shaving
world. Sometimes, that's what you need
to do the job - or not get pulled aside
at airport security.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

DE Razors and DE Blades.

Thus endeth the lesson... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

YMMV.

I've held onto what carts I had left just in case I ever want to board a plane (not very likely). I still have nightmares and wake up in a cold sweat about carts. Yup, crud clogging the louvres, smacking it against the sink, one pass, no enjoyment, just whisker removal done every few days.

Thanks for the review, but I'll never go back except for the condition already stated. I far prefer shaving every day, being clean shaven every day, and enjoying it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

ShadowsDad wrote:I far prefer shaving every day, being clean shaven every day, and enjoying it.
Your conditions, and the use of cartridge razors are not mutually exclusive for most blokes.

But, as you say, YMMV ... or "Horses For Courses" as they say round 'ere.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

In the interest of comparing apples with apples, how does the Hydro 3 do against the Mach 3? The Mach 3 is the only razor I've tried with more than 2 blades, but these remarks about the Hydro are making me curious.
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I've been using the blue handled M# disposables for quite a while now. I bought a pack on a lark and the first razor lasted me 5 weeks before I tossed it. I get really good shaves with them and at 5 weeks a razor the cost is pretty low too.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Tye!!!!

Nice to see you out and about! :D

clive
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I've only tried Fusion Pro Glide recently. It has the advantage of that single blade side to get around tight spaces. It takes the same 3 passes and final polish to suit me but is not as dangerous or irritating as the DEs. I still use a good DE or injector for a final polish if I want bbs. I also use grease type not soapy shave cream.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

fallingwickets wrote:Tye!!!!

Nice to see you out and about! :D

clive
Thank you, Clive, It's good to be seen.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Tye, ICU2!
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Ouchmychin wrote:not as dangerous or irritating as the DEs.
That's why I like the injector so much. Much less handling of a bare blade, and still only a single blade on your face.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

pauldog,
I have a Shick injector that I got on ebay and a small stash of those wonderful Persona Tungsten cartidges. I ration my use to not over once a week to save them. It is the most manuverable razor I have but still can scrape or nick if not handled right. I was talking about the wide 5 blade head that can rock to fit contours on my face and so is easier to use for me with the Fusion. Blades are each less aggressive so not as close but definatly good enough for everyday with one pass if you want.
Last edited by Ouchmychin on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ouchmychin (Pete)