Blue Proraso. The weakest point is scent.

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
offshoot

Blue Proraso. The weakest point is scent.

Post by offshoot »

Making lather is easy, don't have to use much water. Lather is thick, protective and stable. Skincare is nice.

No news here. It's Proraso, you see. But.

This cream would be as good as new Proraso sandalwood cream if its scent was just less present. And what is it anyway? Can't describe it actually. Is that liquorice? Tube says it is. I'm not sure. But there's lot of it, what ever it is. Not subdued. Overpowering. Overkilling. May cause headache. I'm not kidding. Have it right now. Surely this scent is designed for "much younger person" than me.

And menthol lovers, you may like to know it has some, but less than green one has. In my book that's good. Hard core "mentholic" may freak out.

The price is reasonable. Buy it. Test it. Find out yourself. Maybe you'll like it. I'll stick with that sandalwood version.

I need an aspirin.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Interesting. Licorice sounds nicely different, or is it differently nice? I don't mind strong scents, but if by a young person you mean it smells "modern" then it probably won't be to my liking. I don't think any vendors have it yet stateside, did you get yours off ebay?

Edit: I see that Phil just got it in today.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It sounds as if Proraso is emulating the excellent shaving cream from The Gentlemen's Refinery they call Black Ice. Sounds interesting.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

brothers wrote:It sounds as if Proraso is emulating the excellent shaving cream from The Gentlemen's Refinery they call Black Ice. Sounds interesting.
The anise scent in Black Ice always stood out as a plus for me. Different and pleasant, but an acquired taste for sure.

I’ll treat this one like the Sandalwood – If or when it shows up locally, I’ll give it a shot. Aside from that, Proraso have never really wowed me to the point where I would order some online.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

This thread is reminding me of the scent of Florena which captured me right from the get go. It was a strong aniseed fragrance which has a similar smell to licorice. Sound's like I'll need to get my nose around some new Proraso Blue. 8)
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I do not pick up any anise. To me, the scent is more like a muted version of Palmolive Classic -clean, fresh and not overpowering. Of course, YMMV
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Nate

Post by Nate »

jww wrote:This thread is reminding me of the scent of Florena which captured me right from the get go. It was a strong aniseed fragrance which has a similar smell to licorice. Sound's like I'll need to get my nose around some new Proraso Blue. 8)
Interesting Wendell, I had always heard the scent of Florena to be a mild Chamomile. And for that reason I have always wanted to try it.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sorry, Wendell, no licorice in Florena (I had a squeeze from my last tube this week). TGR Black Ice - I like the aniseed scent. I shall dig it out of the long term store and use it once again. Just once, for the scent. Then I will put it back so I shan't have to agonise about how it doesn't quite match the performance of the golden era three T creams.

Chris
Self-preservation comes first. And second. Sod it all, I like beards anyway...
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Chamomile, right --- to me chamomile has a hint of an aniseed kind of fragrance.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

I just received a tube of it, and I'm going to review it now.
JEFF
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

Is there anyone, who actually know what that particular scent is? I'd appreciate it, if you could tell me/us...thank you.
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Jack
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Not licorice, well at least not to my nose! :lol:
JEFF
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

Jeff, sir, we do share that opinion.
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

offshoot wrote:Jeff, sir, we do share that opinion.
I find the cream has a very nice scent of a cologne from Europe or Israel which I used a long time ago. I cannot remember the name of the cologne, however. :)
JEFF
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm looking forward to an opportunity to try it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

crackstar wrote: I find the cream has a very nice scent of a cologne from Europe or Israel which I used a long time ago. I cannot remember the name of the cologne, however. :)
Ok, thank you. If I only could tolerate that scent...