Miniature War Gaming

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

wenestvedt wrote:My kids actually like both Settlers of Cataan and Carcassonne, especially the boys (8 and 10 years old).

It's fun to play with them and watch as their sense of strategy -- and the rightness of betraying one's family -- develops right there in plain view. :7)

- Will
You see in my day, it was Risk -- total world domination. We got into fisticuffs so often that my mother banned it from being played. :shock:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Always fancied a go at Carcasonne. In fact, I might go and pick it up today.

I've got Risk but never really got into it that much, but I enjoy dusting off Stratego from time to time.

Munchkin, a card-game, is taking up much of our free time at the moment.

Seriously considering learning how to play Bridge as well.
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Bought Carcassonne today.

Outstanding game.

Simple. Brilliant.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Yeah, I really like it -- simple and yet the strategy can be quite involved. Getting the farmer on the right field at the right time can often be crucial to winning the game.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Played half a dozen games of Carcassonne now. My son (xBox generation) really likes it and has a remarkable knack of 'sharing' my cities.

Today we are probably going to revisit Risk.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I don't know what language this is, but Newman and Kramer playing Risk is funny in any language!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YxPU9tETIw
Jim
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I went and bought Carcassonne yesterday - I'd been thinking about it for a while and stopped in the local hobby shop on my way home from work. We played it with a few friends last night and I really enjoyed it. The version I bought includes "the river," and some of the expansions look like a ton of fun (a catapult? Vertical elements? Yes please!)
Regards,
Mike
celar36

Post by celar36 »

joe mcclaine wrote:Today we are probably going to revisit Risk.
My brother, sis-in-law and me, loved to play that. Now we are 2500km away so we stop..
Jack
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Went to Warhammer World today with my youngest (13).

Walked out with Dark Vengeance, the Warhammer 40k starter box. Cost £61.50 which I'm guessing isn't too far off $100.

Just spent the best part of 2 hours putting all the models together and will be playing a few games tomorrow.

This will be my third 'dabble'.

Been looking for another hobby to spend huge chunks of my hard-earned on along with my golf, scuba-diving, clay-pigeon shooting, fishing and rock-climbing.
joe mcclaine

Re: Miniature War Gaming

Post by joe mcclaine »

Well, I'm now about £500 deeper into this hobby and enjoying every minute.

An added bonus is that my youngest (13) is also playing.

We go along to a kids beginners' session every Sunday and I go and play with some adult beginners on Wednesdays as well as the pair of us battling most days.

I've gone with Space Orks as they are "mad for it" and just love getting stuck into the opposition. This means I either lose or win very spectacularly which is just as much fun either way.

We've come up against some real 'win at all costs' boors but we shrug them off as we know we're getting much more from the game than they are.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Miniature War Gaming

Post by drmoss_ca »

As a kid I used to buy boxes of Airfix soldiers - anything from Romans and Gauls, via WW1 Tommies and huns to WW2 Brits and Jerries. Too small to paint, but easy enough place on a papier-maché landscape on a board and have some fun. I see they still make them.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace