My first Fatboy

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
KayakDom

Re: My first Fatboy

Post by KayakDom »

KayakDom wrote:You guys were right! I just added a 1959 E-4 to my collection. I just love the vintage Gillettes. I got it as an ebay sniper at the last second for 1/2 what I paid for the first.
Now I am on the lookout for a Slim to add to my growing collection.
Ok update here is a pic of my new razor! 1959 E 4 Fatboy.
Attachments
My New Razor.jpg
My New Razor.jpg (125.75 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's remarkable that these never seem to wear out or break, more than 50 years since they were being sold for $1.95, and certain to have to endure a lifetime of neglect and exposure to water.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
KayakDom

Post by KayakDom »

brothers wrote:It's remarkable that these never seem to wear out or break, more than 50 years since they were being sold for $1.95, and certain to have to endure a lifetime of neglect and exposure to water.
Gary I do agree. Now that they are so popular, they are also becoming expensive. I now have a spare for my Fatboy. My friends ask why I would shave with such an expensive razor and I say you drive your porsche like you stole it and ask why I shave with a $60 razor? I love the feeling and like I stated now I want a slim. Wish I would have used a DE Safety years ago.
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

Thats awesome KayakDom, Welcome. I just got one over at the Bay and look forward to trying it out. Can you guys recommend a Place to have your Razor re-plated?
Thanks;
Anthony
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't know if I would do that Flint. I understand why we would want to have an old razor replated but my reservation is they would have to disassemble the razor for necessary prep work and I don't want someone taking my razor apart unless they really understand the mechanism.
Regards,
Squire
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

Squire wrote:I don't know if I would do that Flint. I understand why we would want to have an old razor replated but my reservation is they would have to disassemble the razor for necessary prep work and I don't want someone taking my razor apart unless they really understand the mechanism.
I hear ya Squire, I was just wondering. I seen this sight- http://www.razoremporium.com/store/
It looks like they've been doing this awhile.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't know those fellows but I am acquainted with Mark (mantic59) at Sharpologist who featured a review on their services. You might want to ask Mark and tell him you're a member here.
Regards,
Squire
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

Thanks Squire, I"ll check it out.