Regarding the Virtues of the Fatboy

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Regarding the Virtues of the Fatboy

Post by Squire »

Same for me Brian, the 'feel' just didn't work.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Before I recently figured out how to use the FB to my best advantage, I hadn't thought about the subjective hand-feel of either the Slim or the FB, it was only about the face-feel. I think now it might be worthwhile for me to break out the trusty old Slim and see how the results compare to the FB with a new set of data.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

Hi all, I just pulled the trigger on a FatBoy on ebay. Can't wait to try her out. :P
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

An excellent vintage razor. One of the best of all time in my opinion.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

A few days ago a Slim K1 was being offered for $19.95 with 6 days to go. I bid a maximum of 14.95. Then my computer broke down and I just got it back. I checked my email and there was an outbid notice from ebay and someone had bid 15.37. I thought I could top that, so I hit the increase bid button, I got shifted to ebay and was getting ready to increase my bid when I noticed the current highest bid. It is $78!!!!! No thanks. This is taking me a very long time to post because when I was trying to return my computer to its slot in my desk I dropped the darn thing and it jammed my little finger against the slot frame. Blood and pain. It is now like a sausage so it is either one finger type some keys or correct every third letter.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

That's a lot of dough for a Slim, unless it's pristine in the case, or has some other uncommon characteristics. I've sold quite a few for around $24.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Regarding the Virtues of the Fatb

Post by jww »

+1. Seems very steep to me as well.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's even steep for the gold plated model.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

The closing price for that razor was $81. Many others for over a hundred are being offered. Same for fatboys Ebay has gone nuts. I like to shop there but the price/quality ratio has taken off. No longer many "steals"
Ouchmychin (Pete)
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

Well, It looks like ALL the Razors are Up There. I think the sellers on ebay see that there in High demand. I've been trying to pick up a few more and the Price just keeps going up. :(

Anthony
dosco

Post by dosco »

Ebay is great for sellers b/c it only serves to jack up the price.

I'm interested in a Fat Boy or Slim ... I've been looking in my local antique shops with no luck. I have noticed many in the B&B forum ... prices seem reasonable at $25 - $40 but they go very quickly. If one was to purchase through that venue, it would behoove one to check the Shopping Mall at least once per hour.

It would be very neat to find one in an antique store ... that's where I found my Black Handled Superspeed for $8.00.

<sigh>
brothers

Post by brothers »

This afternoon I dug out the Slim and it will be the razor of choice tonight with a Kai blade doing the honors. I used the Fatboy/Kai last night and am interested in finding out how the two razors compare.

EDIT: Tonight's shave with the Slim set on 9 with the Kai was great.
Gary

dosco

Post by dosco »

I finally got my hands on a Gillette adjustable ... based on the conversation in this thread I thought it best to start with a Slim.

Got a 1961 version in the mail last friday, had my first shave with it this morning. I used today for the first time on "9" with a Personna HU blade and my homebrew soap.

I am very interested in how it will perform with tomorrow's stubble.

Cheers-
Dave
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

My experience is that the '61 slim may be the best of the slim versions ..... the Fatboy still being my marquee adjustable, and my super slim adjustable being one of the most "usable" razors I have ever used or owned. Enjoy.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Am I correct in thinking that the letter "G" indicates a 1961? What characteristic makes this year's razor better? Is it something visually obvious to someone looking at a '61 next to one of a different year?
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:Am I correct in thinking that the letter "G" indicates a 1961? What characteristic makes this year's razor better? Is it something visually obvious to someone looking at a '61 next to one of a different year?
What I found is that they seemed to get the profile of the head of this razor right in 1961 ... not sure why or how, but that's just what I have found with the ones I have owned/used. A little earlier and the profile was still a bit more aggressive than I like. A bit later, and the profile started getting to be too much of a good thing - until the super slim came out.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks Wendell!
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

jww wrote: my super slim adjustable being one of the most "usable" razors I have ever used or owned.
Couldn't have said it better.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:
jww wrote: my super slim adjustable being one of the most "usable" razors I have ever used or owned.
Couldn't have said it better.
If anyone could have, I would have bet it would be you -- your are too kind. :D
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

My son has my Super. He admired it so I gave it to him a while back. It's in good hands now.
Gary