Stirling Glacial Lavender shaving soap - awesome!

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
JayDee

Stirling Glacial Lavender shaving soap - awesome!

Post by JayDee »

Ok, here's a review of the Glacial Lavender which is one of Rod's latest creations:

Ease of lathering: 8/10--A little extra effort is required to produce the right kind of lather.

Longevity of lather: 8/10--Pretty good. It doesn't dissipate while you're shaving.

General skincare:10/10--FREEZING-COLD, and so gentle and soothing. A brilliant soap.

Scent: 10/10--I absolutely love it. A perfect balance of intense menthol and refined lavender.

Price: 10/10--I paid so little for it because it was on sale. However, Rod's prices are always very reasonable.

Would I buy again: 10/10--Without any hesitation whatsoever.

Many thanks again to my dear friend Rod, who whipped up another winner. Glacial Lavender may be a bit tricky to lather, but if you play with the soap/water ratio and put in a bit of effort you'll get a nice, slick, and very protective lather which will freeze your face to the point where you'll almost need a space heater to warm up. lollllll Rod also worked so hard to make sure that the menthol didn't drown out the lavender scent, and it smells magnificent. Besides being so bone-chillingly cold, it's also very moisturizing and comforting. Rod, as we say in the Middle East - mabrouk, wa mashalla! (Congratulations and well-done!)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Stirling Glacial Lavender shaving soap - awesome!

Post by Squire »

Good review. I'm not partial to menthol myself but it is popular with some of our other members here.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Squire wrote:Good review. I'm not partial to menthol myself but it is popular with some of our other members here.
+1
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

This soap can wreak havoc with sensitive skin. The menthol power from it is so overwhelming that unless one can tolerate super-intense menthol like I can, one should not use it. For me it's perfect.
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I dig all the Stirling soaps. BONAPARTE or SHARP DRESSED MAN are two of my favorites, but their GLACIAL LAVENDER is menthol heaven. I will confess to using it as the base in a super lather, adding Musgo Real lavender shaving cream to the mix - absolutely fabulous!

I also confess to being unable to understand the difficulty many folks have getting tallow soaps to lather. I do have soft water at home, but I've yet to encounter any difficulty in this regard whilst traveling in southern California - a place noted for hard water.

I find all the Stirling products I've used first rate, and unbelievably cheap for such superb quality.
disengage
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

I used this treasure again this morning and the resulting shave was such a pleasure. The menthol effect absolutely froze me to smithereens! :lol:
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's been a good while since I picked up a puck of Stirling. Last time was when he was working his way through the various formulae in search of the one. It sounds as if maybe I should give it another try. Trouble is, I've got so many . . .
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

brothers wrote:It's been a good while since I picked up a puck of Stirling. Last time was when he was working his way through the various formulae in search of the one. It sounds as if maybe I should give it another try. Trouble is, I've got so many . . .
Same here!
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

The answer is staring us in the face! Stirling has a wonderful sample selection. Also, these are SAMPLES -- much more than a smidge. Since the shipping is flat rate, you can go crazy and get a whole load of samples.

personal favorites are BONAPARTE, SHARP DRESSED MAN, and GLASTONBURY.

Go crazy!
disengage