Finally got a Krona

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
CMur12

Finally got a Krona

Post by CMur12 »

I've read good things about the Schick Krona DE razor over the years and I have come close to buying one a couple of times, but I never pulled the trigger because of the handle. It looked like it would be comfortable for someone who liked a long handle, but not for me.

I like a razor with a short, thick handle. I hold it near the end of the handle between my thumb and first two fingers, resting the butt of the handle against the end/side of my third/middle finger. The Krona's long handle, tapering at the top, looked like an ergonomic nightmare.

Another Krona recently came up for sale here and I decided to buy it.

When it came to wielding the razor, in spite of the length of the handle, I found I could grip it in my accustomed manner at the end and still control the razor easily. It behaves like most other mild razors I have used, though more familiarity with it could increase its effectiveness. My first shave was with a Super Iridium blade that already had a few shaves on it and I wasn't much impressed. Tonight I loaded a new Schick Plus Platinum blade and the results were much better.

Overall, I like the razor and the way it handles. It is a little milder and less effective than my Mergress on the lowest setting, so I may continue to use it between Mergress shaves. (I normally shave on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights. My skin is typically most sensitive to the blade on Tuesdays, so the Krona might fit in well there.)

- Murray
BPman

Re: Finally got a Krona

Post by BPman »

If I could only use one DE razor it would be the Krona. It's supposedly a little more aggressive than an American Gillette Tech according to pure blade gap measurements, but we all know that is not the whole story. The Krona "bevels" are idiot proof IMO. If you follow the bevels you will get the best shave. Schick made at least one prototype Krona adjustable that a fella on another forum stumbled into:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzpJ1L_g3og

Too bad it never came to fruition. :cry:
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have a policy that I follow when I'm at antique stores or flea markets. If I see a Krona I buy it. That rare adjustable model is something I've never heard of before. I want one! :D Thanks for the link.
Last edited by brothers on Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Glad you got one Murray, now you can see what the fuss is about. For me the Krona is a bang up design that gets the job done without any fanfare. A razor for the minimalist who still want's a quality shave.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

BPman wrote:. . . Schick made at least one prototype Krona adjustable . . . Too bad it never came to fruition.
Don't that beat all. It could have been just the thing.
Ron
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I like the looks of that adjustable. Schick must have decided that it wouldn't sell more razor blades.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

CMur12 wrote:I like the looks of that adjustable. Schick must have decided that it wouldn't sell more razor blades.

- Murray
I am thinking it was developed late in production when they saw the writing on the wall re disposables circa. early '70's.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I agree, disposables were the rising tide washing away all in it's path.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:I have a policy that I follow when I'm at antique stores or flea markets. If I see a Krona I buy it. That rare adjustable model is something I've never heard of before. I want one! :D Thanks for the link.
Today I found a Krona at the flea market, it appeared to be the no-name version with the long metal knob. The gentleman and I couldn't reach an agreement, so he still has it. I did make a good-hearted try, but in the end, he was the winner, and did not have to go through the trouble of selling something. I think we were both winners. Is this what they call a win-win? :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BPman

Post by BPman »

brothers wrote:
brothers wrote:I have a policy that I follow when I'm at antique stores or flea markets. If I see a Krona I buy it. That rare adjustable model is something I've never heard of before. I want one! :D Thanks for the link.
Today I found a Krona at the flea market, it appeared to be the no-name version with the long metal knob. The gentleman and I couldn't reach an agreement, so he still has it. I did make a good-hearted try, but in the end, he was the winner, and did not have to go through the trouble of selling something. I think we were both winners. Is this what they call a win-win? :D
Well, tell us how much he wanted.
brothers

Post by brothers »

My wife found them in one of the booths marked $25. I went over and picked up the Krona, and he, being an astute seller, mentioned that he'd take $12.50. I looked it over and determined what it was like. I figured it was OK but not mint. Not shiny on top but dulled, maybe or maybe not improved by polishing. Used but not worn out. I told him I'd think about it and walked away, perusing the market for about another 45 minutes. Decided I didn't want it for $12.50, and he had been pretty firm about that, so (as I always do) I wasn't hurting for yet another Krona nor any other old razor.

I then left and we were in the car driving away, when she told me he had told her he'd take $10 for it when she had originally found it the first time. I turned back around and parked in the same spot, taking $8 in my hand and walked back inside to his booth. He was busy talking politics with another gentleman while I was once again holding the Krona in my hand and studying it, while opening and closing the butterflies and looking at the seller to see if I could catch his attention without being rude.

The other gent mentioned to the seller that he had a customer, and nodded toward me. He recognized me and spoke to me, whereupon I asked him if he'd let it go for $8. (The same price I had recently paid for a very nice, nearly mint Gillette Super Speed Red Tip a couple of weeks ago.) He kindly explained to me that he'd priced it as low as he could go when we first met, and since he sells his razors for $12 all the time, he just couldn't see his way to come down any more, holding out his hands palm outward and shrugging his shoulders as he apologized.

This surprised me, as I already knew he had priced it at $10 to my wife, (she was just waiting outside in the car) and I had opened the door for him to make a counter-offer instead of sticking firmly to his original price of $12.50. I could easily have offered him $10, but it wasn't my turn, it was his, and he had chosen to refuse to bargain and to negotiate. I returned the razor to the shelf and told him I understand he's got to pay the rent, and thanked him kindly, as I excused myself as he bid me farewell also.

He was not coming down and I was in no way disappointed that I was missing out on a rare or highly valued piece of shaving history. I still had my money and he had his razor, and this was nothing that hasn't happened a hundred times before. Most times (60/40) they're quick to either accept my offer, or to begin to negotiate. I think he must have misjudged me, thinking I had my heart set on having this particular razor, and that I was going to pay his price. I enjoy this process. It's usually just peanuts, just for recreation. Whenever I happen onto a real bargain (Aristocrat/New Improved/Fat Boy/something mint condition but filthy/etc.) I pay full asking price so fast they don't know what happened, and walk away with a big smile.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

If he's old maybe he forgot his earlier offer.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Offer? What offer? :D
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Murray, use your new addition in good health. Im a fan of short and thick too and so I tip my hat to your sense of adventure. I see long handles and the brain screams: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The price he offered your wife.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

fallingwickets wrote:Murray, use your new addition in good health. Im a fan of short and thick too and so I tip my hat to your sense of adventure. I see long handles and the brain screams: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D :D

clive
Exactly, Clive! That's why it took me so long to even try one.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's it Clive, let it out. Admission is the first step in the process. Come join the group Brother, there is help for handlephobics and the coffee is free.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:The price he offered your wife.
Yes, I was playing the part of the forgetful seller, thus the smilie! :wink:
Gary