Make the world go away - get it off my shoulders!

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Make the world go away - get it off my shoulders!

Post by brothers »

I used to shave every day and had enough soap and cream to last me until I officially retire from wet shaving and depend on a boring electric razor. Imagine that! Plans are destined to change, and so did I. Now I only shave every other day, 183 days per year instead of 365. (Thank goodness I learned arithmetic when I was in Mrs. Brown's first grade class.)

Fast forward to the present. I now have twice as many fungibles as I can ever use at this reduced rate of consumption. My dilemma will be very simple to resolve. I just get rid of half of my stuff. I can (a) ignore it and make believe it doesn't exist; (b) throw it away; (c) give it away; or (d) sell it. I've got 40 used and unused soaps and creams, twenty of which will disappear. This is going to be fun, especially when it's all gone (and/or forgotten).

What's my plan? Don't have a clue. All I know is I'll probably go with the fastest and most simple solution I can think of. Those who know me will tell you I will NOT profit from it. I don't have any junk.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Re: Make the world go away - get it off my shoulders!

Post by pausted »

Good luck, Gary, in deciding which soaps go and which stay.😅
Best regards,

Basil
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

It sounds like a not unpleasant dilemma, and one I too may be facing sometime soon. Good luck, and have fun.
_______
John
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

dont give anything away....6 months from now you might need it :D :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Discarded --- 9.
In "The Box" pending eminent relocation - means of distribution currently undecided --- 11.

Edit: Discarded - 10
Awaiting disbursement - 10
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:37 pm dont give anything away....6 months from now you might need it :D :D :D :D

clive
Six years maybe! :D
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Gary, an admirable goal. I have gone through some bouts of reduction, but after a buying spree that I'm choosing to blame on being stuck at home during Covid-19's reign :oops: :D , I'm back to too much stuff here. I hope you are able to find good homes for what remains.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, I'm in a similar situation, in that I have more blades than I can use in my lifetime, and possibly more soap, as well. I'm not looking to thin these items out quite yet, however.

What I do wonder about is what I will do with my vintage razors (less interest in them now) and extra brushes.
(I have this issue with a lot of my treasures that are of little interest to younger potential heirs: fountain pens, film cameras, antique pocket watches, etc.)

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Rather than looking a tthese consumable items as a commodity of which you need a certain amount to last a certain time, remeber they also offer variety, the ability to pick and choose on a whim.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ha! Great to see you up and at 'em! In my case the chaos of choices is disconcerting. That aspect of the micro-hoarding doesn't give me any pleasure. It just irritates me. Among my existing 20 products, they consist of 7 manufacturers and 17 varieties of scents. I've developed a simple system, and I can tell you exactly which one I'll be using on any random day for the rest of the year. This is a very comforting detail, and one less source of chaos in my universe. 8) I have given myself supreme authority of choice as needed. I can easily walk in and throw one or another in the trash, or buy a new one, as the mood strikes me.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

It appears that I'm just going to ignore the stuff in the box and pretend they don't exist. Meanwhile, I finished off one of the soaps I was keeping, so I reached for the box and found a half-used puck of English Fern tallow soap as a replacement in the top 20. Needless to say I think I was crazy to have considered not keeping it.
Gary

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

fallingwickets wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:37 pm dont give anything away....6 months from now you might need it :D :D :D :D

clive
This is what I say. You don’t know how many times I’ve regretted selling a brush or razor that I liked perfectly well, only to find the next new bright shiny thing was not as good
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have simply taken the approach that once I have used it up, I don't replace it except for MWF and DR Harris Lavender. I still have 8 or 9 soaps and creams.

And yes, I am back -- ish. Don't anyone fall off their chair reading this.

:D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

lovely too see you out and about :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Good to see you, Wendell!

Sam, it has been good to see you more, recently, as well!

- Murray
Gene

Post by Gene »

jww wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:53 am

Too Late!!
Hi Wendell, great to hear from you any time!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Wendell, great to hear from you!

Welcome back!
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Thanks gents!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

CMur12 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:29 pm Good to see you, Wendell!

Sam, it has been good to see you more, recently, as well!

- Murray
Thank you.
brothers

Post by brothers »

jww wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:53 am I have simply taken the approach that once I have used it up, I don't replace it except for MWF and DR Harris Lavender. I still have 8 or 9 soaps and creams.

Wendell, have you found an opportunity to use the most recently reformulated DR Harris Lavender?
Gary