Acquisitions thread

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Re: Acquisitions thread

Post by M6Classic »

Buzz is in hiding until Plisson starts making real brushes again.

See ya,

Buzz
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Hi, Buzz! Hang around a bit...

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Hi, Buzz! Hang around a bit...
73 thumbs up on the sentiment

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Great to see you, Buzz!

- Murray
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Greetings Chris and all my old friends!

I will hang around in spite of the decline of the House of Plisson! It is good to find a lively conversation.

Buzz
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Murray, I noticed in SOTD youre using the Henson...details man, details!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Clive -

I have only used the razor once, with one of the provided Astra blades.

It has a really narrow blade gap, like a really mild razor, requiring you to angle it just right for it to cut. When it cuts, however, it "bites." It feels aggressive to me, even though I got the "mild" model. It's a strange combination of narrow blade gap and aggressive shave. I got a fair amount of irritation over all and a weeper near the back of my neck, which is very unusual for me.

I'm not used to Astra blades, so it's possible that it's a blade that is harsh for the first shave or two. I'm not sure if I will try a couple more times with this blade or if I'll change to a familiar blade. I'm also not sure it will make a difference, as my problem seems to be with the design and dynamic of the razor.

By the way, the long handle didn't bother me at all. With such a lightweight razor, I just held it at the end like I do with a short handle, and I hardly noticed a difference.

The razor appears to have worked well for John Rose, whose skin might not be as delicate as mine.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for the update Murray....much appreciated. the long handle would be too much for me even without the other 'issues'

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Here's another update, Clive.

Tonight I had my second shave with the Henson razor. The first time, I used it with one of the supplied Astra blades and found it harsh, even though the razor was designated mild by the manufacturer. I tried it tonight with a Treet Dura Sharp blade, perhaps my favorite of favorites among current and recent production. This shave went a lot better and the razor felt milder than last time. This surprises me, because I have no problem with most blades. The geometry of the Henson is unique among razors I have experienced, so I'll give it some more time.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks for the update Murray....hopefully it works for you as who needs another unused razor in the drawer? :lol:

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

fallingwickets wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:33 am thanks for the update Murray....hopefully it works for you as who needs another unused razor in the drawer? :lol:

clive
Indeed, Clive!

- Murray
Aty

Post by Aty »

M6Classic wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:06 am Greetings Chris and all my old friends!

I will hang around in spite of the decline of the House of Plisson! It is good to find a lively conversation.

Buzz
Hi there

What's the problem with Plisson? (Recently taken over by Canadians, if I am not mistaken). I've purchased two of their brushes this year, both size 12 (Class HMW and EG), and other than some irritants with getting that stuff from France to my door, I can report brushes are great after initial user experience.

Plisson has also sent in a promotional tube of their shaving cream, which is not bad at all, and worthy consideration for any connoisseur, despite my recent infatuation with Meißner Tremonia & Speick soaps. After Brexit I have depleated my Harris Marlborough supplies, and decided to look for some local soaps instead. With those two German products I think I will be just fine.

Must mention super excellent after shave balms from the same sources. Both are clean in their product profile approach. Problem with early reporting on quality of such products I think is however inadequate testing. Whether such brushes, soaps, creams and balms are worth their price I will be qualified to comment only after several years of daily use, and careful monitoring condition or changes of my facial skin. For now, early impressions are all on happy side of things.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

on subject of non brush plisson products, their hard soap was really good and much ignored by the forum crowd for reasons unknown

clive
Aty

Post by Aty »

I have very simple rule regarding personal grooming products, namely, find a good quality product you like, and stick with it. Don't get distracted unnecessarilly by too many choices, yet recently I've violated exactly what I am preaching, and I am not happy about it at all. I've ended up with 5 brushes, and in retrospect this situation was avoidable had I given some more thoughts to my shaving strategy. Three brushes were right number for my drying cycle. With 5 of them I am getting distracted, and I do not understand what's good and bad about each of them. It will take a while to get a grip over it. I am running from a soap to cream back and forth without any sense of purpose (other than - I need to finish this shave). I will probably keep both Plisson brushes and one silver tip from MÜHLE. Moreover, I will retire Chubby 2 BB (over 10 years it was the only brush I had), and I shall set aside as backup my second MÜHLE (fibers) brush.

Plisson are sending me offers about twice a week to buy more of whatever, including soaps, however I am determined to stay with Meißner Tremonia & Speick. Meißner is a soap company, and they do a good job. Plisson is a brush company, and it is a job they excel in. There is nothing much more to ponder. I am sure Brits will stay with their brands, which is fine. Nothing wrong with that, but the same products are too expensive on my location.
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

adhoc wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:51 pm I bought two old products brochures from Trumper and Harris and I'm waiting for them to be delivered. The Trumper one is from 1993 and the Harris seems to be that old too, when I get them I'm gonna try to upload them here (my dad has a scanner I can use next time I visit him).
I haven't been active on here for quite a while, mostly due to family stuff that came in the way and kept me busy. But now I'm back and I'm gonna keep my promise and upload those brochures here (soon).

My vintage bottle of Trumper's Spanish Leather has also finally arrived, it took almost a year for the bottle from Russia to arrive in Sweden, it was first lost in the Russian postal system for several months but was at last mysteriously found and was shipped to Sweden again. But it's finally here and it smells great and it is, at least according to my nose, a bit different than the current version of Spanish Leather, which I still like very much, but the older juice smells is a bit more special. Anyway, I'm happy to be back!
Attachments
dhC8d8w.jpg
dhC8d8w.jpg (107.73 KiB) Viewed 5697 times
Olle
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome back, Olle!

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on the sentiments
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Thanks. ;)
Olle
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Olie. If Gordon were here he would and could tell you more about that Spanish Leather.
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Sam wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:50 am Olie. If Gordon were here he would and could tell you more about that Spanish Leather.
I reckon he would, unfortunately, I wasn't active here when he was and I was probably even too young to shave back then! :wink:
I have some problems with uploading the sale brochure, there are multiple pdf files and I would like to combine them into one pdf file.
Olle