Joris Plisson soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Joris Plisson soap

Post by brothers »

One thing that makes SMF so invaluable is the readily available treasury of background facts regarding shaving products that have been discussed over the years.

Point of fact: Active discussions of Joris/Plisson hard shaving soap as long as 16 years ago. You can find those discussions through the search function.

Three days ago when I used this soap I quickly knew it is and was recognized as equal to the finest commercial shaving soaps available, and in the same price range. I received this soap and beautiful bowl from a kind and generous friend to whom I am forever grateful.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Joris Plisson soap

Post by drmoss_ca »

Did you get the briarwood bowl? It is a thing of beauty:
IMG_0293.jpeg
IMG_0293.jpeg (607.41 KiB) Viewed 5302 times
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

It is a thing of beauty
17 thumbs up on the sentiment

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

drmoss_ca wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:13 am Did you get the briarwood bowl? It is a thing of beauty:
You bet! An heirloom. It's called Thuya wood.
Joris bowl .jpg
Joris bowl .jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 5283 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Plus one on this, Joris is a wonderful soap! I may even put this on deck for tomorrow's shave.

Chris
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

That bowl is indeed beautiful. When did they stop making the soap or is it still available?
Olle
brothers

Re: Joris shaving soap

Post by brothers »

Today's mail brought my (hopefully) final purchase. I located at least 3 retailers carrying it. One in France, One in Belgium, and my choice, one in the USA. None other than Colonial Drug. Shipping was fast and both the price and the shipping were reasonable. Ordered by phone. Now I have a backup! No tallow and no mention of Plisson.
]
Joris soap 1.jpg
Joris soap 1.jpg (977.51 KiB) Viewed 5066 times
Attachments
Joris soap 3.jpg
Joris soap 3.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 5065 times
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

enjoy and use in good health Gary
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks Clive! 👍👍👍
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Looks good, Gary. Hope you enjoy.

Apparently it's undergone a repacking. It never used to list the ingredients on the container. And from online pictures at Plisson it looks like they've branded as their own now.

Let us know how this new cake performs. The ingredients look the same as they've been for years since the initial reformulation over to veggie base. Still an excellent soap even though it's not tallow anymore.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was eager to lather the new Joris this morning. What was I to expect? Made in England. Triple milled. Soft pleasant fragrance. No tallow? French Pedigree by the House of Plisson. Purchased from iconic Colonial Drug. So dense it's easily going to last an eternity in soap years. All of these we know by just looking. An incredibly classy first impression from the outside but most important in my book is how it performs. That's our critical concern.

Today's brush was the Zenith boar. I held the cake in my left palm as I held the brush under hot tap water as needed. No sudsy bubbles, just creamy proto-lather that increased in volume commensorate with the time that passed and the additional water reached my goal. Rich luxurious creamy shaving lather. Doesn't need tallow. If I hadn't seen the ingredients I would have been convinced it has tallow. No kidding! The lather didn't dissipate during the shave, and I felt that the cut of the whiskers was exemplary. Touching up with a water splash was slick as a result of the remnant left behind by the lather. Joris easily satisfied my particular expectations. It is clearly identical to my other Joris.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

good stuff Gary...thanks for the post

clive
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Great report, Gary. Glad to hear this is still a good one. Been having a few shaves with this as well and really enjoying them.

Chris