Basic Shaving Soap Procedure

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Basic Shaving Soap Procedure

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm still waiting for new shelves (of shame, such shame!) in my bathroom to allow all my soaps and brushes to be available. Meantime I am using either some Williams (NLA, I believe, but I have lots) or some Woods of Windsor (ditto repeato) as a handheld shaving stick equivalent. Both work amazingly well, the trick being not to apply so much that the razor gets clogged with XS soap and whiskers. I'm still stuck using the General, with all straights and strops somewhere in a box or three or four.
The moral of the tale is not to let your wife move you to a new house unless she has done her due diligence in both having it finished, and making sure there is sufficient space for one's shaving gear. I've been camping out for ten months now, and in my position I can't spare ten months!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gene

Re: Basic Shaving Soap Procedure

Post by Gene »

Love it or hate it - but even if it didn't lather well I always liked Williams. The scent is delightful, and nothing left my face feeling quite so nice.

Not for sale here in Austin, and no vendors online seem to offer it or I would buy some.

And - I remember when WoW made it's forum debut here at SMF. it was first noticed sold with a shave mug - and NOT tallow-based. But then Chris discovered that the individual pucks WERE tallow based - and he bought a bunch of them. I shaved with WoW (tallow) yesterday - still a nice scent.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

Regrettably there have been scores of outstanding and inexpensive shave soaps that came and disappeared during the last 150 years. The same goes for razors to some extent due to the safety razors and disposable blades (but that's off the point of this thread). Today's amazing shave soap marketplace represents dozens and scores of currently manufactured soaps from all around the world. This fact makes us the lucky winners when it comes to the existing range of available shaving soaps.

P.S.: I've discovered some shaving CREAMS that deliver equal if not better shaving results when compared to soaps with my brushes.
Remember YMMV! :lol: Cheers, brothers!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris, have your carpenters made any progress regarding your Shelves of Shame display and storage? Are there unmentioned outside factors in play that take precedence over the hammer and nails aspect of your obstacles? 😗
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444