Synthetic Siblings

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Synthetic Siblings

Post by brothers »

After six (6) years, this morning I decided to retire the SilkSmoke brush in my current brush rotation and replace it with the SynBad Mesquite synthetic.

Note: This is a post I made here in October of 2018 but I can't locate it anywhere now. --- "Here is a photo of the SynBad synthetic next to the SilkSmoke synthetic. I used the SynBad this morning with the AOS Peppermint shaving cream. This brush is somewhat softer on the face than the SilkSmoke. It appears to my eye that maybe the fibers are microscopically thinner in diameter and seem to be packed in larger quantity than the SilkSmoke fibers. Note: Neither brush is superior or inferior to the other. Quite the contrary. Just a bit different. Both knots came from Andrew at APShave Co. in Canada. They are beautiful, large in size, and both of them perform flawlessly with soap or cream. I admire the cut and trim of the SilkSmoke because it seems to be a bit unusual in proportion as compared to most bulb shaped knots I have used, including the SynBad."
Synthetic Siblings 15 OCT 2018.jpg
Synthetic Siblings 15 OCT 2018.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 230 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Re: Synthetic Siblings

Post by CMur12 »

Those are good looking brushes, Gary.

Do you buy the knot/loft and the handle separately?

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, I bought all four of them separately. SilkSmoke and SynBad knots came from APShave Co. The handle on the SilkSmoke came from Semogue with a different painted finish that it has now. I did something unusual and ended up ruining the painted decor on the Semogue handle. I salvaged it by removing all paint and stained the handle which came out beautiful if I say so myself. Obviously, I discarded the bristle know. To the best of my memory, I am pretty sure I bought the SynBad's mesquite wooden handle from Elite Razor. I just checked his website and he doesn't sell the mesquite any longer. However, he does carry dozens of other rare and beautiful woods.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the information, Gary.

- Murray