Electric Razor Rap

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
Shavermeister

Electric Razor Rap

Post by Shavermeister »

drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Electric Razor Rap

Post by drmoss_ca »

Good luck with that, Jim. We are wet shavers.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jim, when or should I say IF I make it to 80, and still shaving, I plan to go back to my old electric Norelco rotary head razor (if it still works then).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Gave electric razors a try many years ago.
My dad had given me one about 55 years ago and still today I remember the shaves as dreadful…

Did some renewed research into electric razors a few years ago, because it would have made flying long-haul (as an airline pilot) easier and I could have eliminated that ubiquitous overnight suitcase that the company gave us.

While electric razors had improved significantly since the 70s, the underlying weakness that there is always a metal film between the blade and the skin had of course not gone away.
That, by design, limits the effectiveness and closeness of a shave with an electric.

Electric razor may serve some purpose (I always have that image of a guy shaving in his stationary car during rush-hour traffic my mind.), but they clearly cannot give me what I expect from my daily shaves.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Since this thread has been largely about negative experiences with electric shaves, I feel compelled to offer a counterpoint, as my experience has been different.

I didn't come back to classic blade shaving because of any dissatisfaction with electric shavers. I did it out of nostalgia, when I saw that one could still buy DE razors and blades. Then, while I had used a brush and creams or soaps before, through this forum I learned more about these and greatly improved my lathering technique.

I have used electric shavers off and on over many years, especially for travel and visiting when staying with family or friends. I have had cheap electrics that battered my skin and good-quality electrics that shaved as close as a blade and with less irritation than a blade shave. In fact, when it comes to a swirl of whiskers under my left ear, I can go over and over it in every direction, until I get it with an electric, while I can't go over it more than three times with a blade.

An electric shaver is a different tool from a bladed razor, so my technique with the electric is a little different. I get equally good shaves with both, so I choose the tool that appeals to me at the moment when I embark on a shave. (Though I'll admit that I choose the wet shave for enjoyment, while I choose the electric to just get it done.)

- Murray
Gene

Post by Gene »

Murray - My experiences were similar to yours - I used a DE in the 70's, then drank the multi-blade punch into the 80's. I found shaving to be a totally awful experience - prone to nicks and cuts all the time. One year I got a decent electric razor for Christmas, and thought I had found the grail. I have used Remingtons and Norelcos and much preferred the 3-blade rotary for comfort and overall shave. But - it wasn't a really great shave. With the arrival of the internet I was able to study shaving and shave gear in greater detail. For years the idea of traditional wet shaving had been something I couldn't get behind - using a brush to make lather? $20 for a tub of shave cream? Not me. But - after a while I began to wonder about it. Things finally came together for me in 2008. I had found SMF by then (internet forums were a new thing for me), lurking and not posting. I don't remember my first brush of cream, but the razor was a birth year red tip and the blades were from the local Walmart. It all showed up at the Seattle HQ for the company I worked for at the time (I was in town that week, so best place to ship it). I practised lathering (thanks Mantic!) a few times the night before - not great, but good. I remember that after that shave that morning I just couldn't stop feeling my face - it just felt so different! Amazing!

I can see a day when I would need to go back to an electric - but that's not for a long time to come.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore