Which straight razor did you use today?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Re: Which straight razor did you use today?

Post by brothers »

Today's razor is a Torrey. I confess I haven't used any straight razors in quite a while. I dressed the edge on the jasper stone, followed up with a good strop. Because of the circumstances, I only used the open razor on 2/3 of my whiskers, because I wanted to avoid any damage to my face, I didn't shave the embouchure area with the Torrey. I used the faithful General safety razor for the chin, nose, and mouth areas, and the shave was 100% smooth and blood-free. I concentrated on holding the open blade with an extremely light touch and moving very slow.
Torrey - Chosen Few.jpg
Torrey - Chosen Few.jpg (119.28 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Are you getting out of practice? Just one solution for that!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, a little rusty. Yesterday I used the Hart Steel razor and had another very enjoyable experience. I've learned something different about using straights, as far as my own face is concerned. The passage of time has made the contour of my chin permanently too rough and rugged for the open blades. Sad but true. In the future I will continue to enjoy the straight razor experience on about 70% of my whiskers, but the good news is that the General single edge safety razor will resume 100% chin-shaving occasions, no matter which type of razors are used on the rest of the whiskers. No problem and no more blood! Not to mention the fact that I used to spend far too much stressful time trying to shave the chin with the straight razors. Win-win.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444