Short Caswell Massey Almond SC honeymoon

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Short Caswell Massey Almond SC honeymoon

Post by brothers »

Things have gone awry in happy CM land, unfortunately. Smells great, that's a positive. Does make a lather that is slick and protective, and lends itself to a very smooth shave, another positive, and then there's this "other thing" -- it seems that the lather, ample and slick as it may be, doesn't like to come out of the brush. If it doesn't flow out of the brush and deposit itself on the face, then what good is it? Must be a chemical thing. It just collects and remains inside the brush. If the brush is moved around and about on the face or squeezed by hand, of course it comes out, and it's a very nice lather. I am frustrated by this. I tried using distilled water and a badger brush, same problem. I tried a boar brush, the big Omega, it did not make any lather. None. Dug out the horsehair, zero lather. Tried applying the cream to the face with my fingers, then face-lathering it with the horse brush, and got no lather. This stuff is a disappointment. I've placed it in the daughter's bathroom in case she wants to try it out. She says it smells interesting.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ockhams's razor

Re: Short Caswell Massey Almond SC honeymoon

Post by ockhams's razor »

brothers wrote:Things have gone awry in happy CM land, unfortunately. Smells great, that's a positive. Does make a lather that is slick and protective, and lends itself to a very smooth shave, another positive, and then there's this "other thing" -- it seems that the lather, ample and slick as it may be, doesn't like to come out of the brush. If it doesn't flow out of the brush and deposit itself on the face, then what good is it? Must be a chemical thing. It just collects and remains inside the brush. If the brush is moved around and about on the face or squeezed by hand, of course it comes out, and it's a very nice lather. I am frustrated by this. I tried using distilled water and a badger brush, same problem. I tried a boar brush, the big Omega, it did not make any lather. None. Dug out the horsehair, zero lather. Tried applying the cream to the face with my fingers, then face-lathering it with the horse brush, and got no lather. This stuff is a disappointment. I've placed it in the daughter's bathroom in case she wants to try it out. She says it smells interesting.
actually, i was surprised to read in your previous post that you were able to get an ample lather. i tried several cm creams several years ago and could never get them to lather. in polls in other forums, the cm creams are universally voted among "worst creams", so i was happy to learn that my experience wasn't unique. i thought when you posted about this cream that it might have been reformulated.
"always act like you belong to be here." (serge storms, hurricane punch by tim dorsey).
brothers

Post by brothers »

I look at it like this. I've done the hard part and proven it makes a really nice shaving lather inside a big floppy badger brush. Now it's somebody else's turn to persuade that lather to flow out of the brush like nature intended.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ockhams's razor

Post by ockhams's razor »

brothers wrote:I look at it like this. I've done the hard part and proven it makes a really nice shaving lather inside a big floppy badger brush. Now it's somebody else's turn to persuade that lather to flow out of the brush like nature intended.
coincidentally: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread ... ssey-cream
"always act like you belong to be here." (serge storms, hurricane punch by tim dorsey).
Ken

Post by Ken »

CM has had problems with their shaving creams and soaps for many years. The soap, especially, was (when I tried it years ago) dried out. I bought a second puck to be sure. Same thing.

Apparently, and perhaps astonishingly, nobody at CM seems to have tried the competition.

Ken
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Or they're betting customers won't know the difference.
Regards,
Squire
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Damn shame, too, as the C-M sandalwood cream has an intoxicating scent. A good-performing soap or cream in that scent would be grail-like.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Re: Short Caswell Massey Almond SC honeymoon

Post by brothers »

Looking back 13 years ago --- I was wrong!
brothers wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:54 pm Things have gone awry in happy CM land, unfortunately. Smells great, that's a positive. Does make a lather that is slick and protective, and lends itself to a very smooth shave, another positive, and then there's this "other thing" -- it seems that the lather, ample and slick as it may be, doesn't like to come out of the brush. If it doesn't flow out of the brush and deposit itself on the face, then what good is it? Must be a chemical thing. It just collects and remains inside the brush. If the brush is moved around and about on the face or squeezed by hand, of course it comes out, and it's a very nice lather. I am frustrated by this. I tried using distilled water and a badger brush, same problem. I tried a boar brush, the big Omega, it did not make any lather. None. Dug out the horsehair, zero lather. Tried applying the cream to the face with my fingers, then face-lathering it with the horse brush, and got no lather. This stuff is a disappointment. I've placed it in the daughter's bathroom in case she wants to try it out. She says it smells interesting.
I was on the wrong track way back then. The truth about Caswell-Massey shaving cream is that I was wrong in thinking this shaving cream is supposed to make lather. I don't remember why I was thinking it makes lather. The label says use your fingers to spread it, OR use your brush. This isn't only "brushless" because it is more appropriately a "brush optional non-lathering cream". Furthermore, it is an excellent performing shaving cream, and it is a very good smelling shaving cream. Currently I have two large tubs, Almond and ROS (Rose?). I used one of my favorite badger brushes to spread the cream thoroughly into my whiskers. It's a lot better than trying to do that with my fingers. When I'm through with the brush I simply rinse it with running water in the sink and dry it on a towel just like my fingers or any other brush. The cream washes away easily and the brush dries normally on the shelf. No problems, and no complaints.
Gary