Thoughts on this technique I saw on instagram...

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Martin

Thoughts on this technique I saw on instagram...

Post by Martin »

Hello, after years of shaving ive just seen a post on Instagram where the guy rubbed a puck of Saponificio Varesino over his face rather than loaded the brush on the soap & then onto his face. Is this something people on here do too?. I load my brush on the soap & then lather on my face.

The other thing he did was shaved against the grain first & then with the grain on his 2nd pass. Again, I always thought you should go with the grain first???.

Just curious. Thank you
Gene

Re: Thoughts on this technique I saw on instagram...

Post by Gene »

I've done that before - with a puck of Williams. Not too different than a shave stick, I guess. Shave sticks are quickly becoming my go-to for shaving.

As far as against the grain first - I remember someone posted here a long time ago that shaving ATG first was not a good idea. I'm curious what the others here will say. I have tried it - there are parts of my neck that it seems to work on - but it's hard to do any touch up after that.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If I'm in a hurry I will often use a cake of soap as if it were a shaving stick, but not all soaps will work for this. Even better is to squeeze 3/4" of Palmolive cream (red tube) onto my fingers and rub it in to my wet face. I can shave with and across the grain just with that, and it is slicker than soap.
Many years ago I used to shave against the grain first, back when I used a new Sensor blade every day. I wouldn't do that with a DE, SE and especially not with a straight. That is for reasons of comfort, avoidance of blood, and dislike of ingrowing hairs. There really is no point in going WTG after going ATG, so I don't know why your guy in the video did that.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

I remember a few years back when almost everyone was understanding that we are/were required to have more than one pass so we can have a bonafide shave. I started going primarily against the grain in one big pass followed by as many touch-ups in as many places as I thought needed attention "with", "against" and "across" the grains.
When soaps are used I've always practiced using the water-soaked and squeezed brush to build the lather on the face. Most of my creams are probably solified in the bowl, and that's when I build my lather on the cream in the bowl.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Martin

Post by Martin »

Maybe I wont use this technique, but, it could be a good way of using the broken pieces of soap once it gets towards the end?.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Been there and done that!
That's a good way to use them up.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444