DE's and tough beards? My experience

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

The problems you are describing seem very much like mine. No matter what I do with the angle, the razor just feels like it is pulling on the hairs and not cutting cleanly. If I had to describe I would say it *feels* as if the blade isn't sharp enough. And this cuts and irritates my face in the process. Maybe either a slant bar or some different baldes would be a good option for me too.
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Tough Beard. I usually have to do 5 passes. One of the things that I have had to do is I actually use 2 razors. I use a slant bar for the first two passes and then I use a razor that I created to finish the job so I don't irriatate my neck as much shaving up and every which way my hair grows. I don't hold much belief in shaving oil myself. I just find it to be a Pain the the tuckus to not get ingrown hairs from the oil stopping up my pores. And this is after washing it off! So I stopped using it. I would suggest you might try using soaps instead of creams. that can occasionally help.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
Cutman

Post by Cutman »

Toughbeard,

Do you feel like you've been accosted by some proselytizing zealots? I have to chuckle at the thread. I'm new to wetshaving and have suffered a good deal experimenting with a DE. Now, am a full convert. But there are times I yeard for the carefree days of my multi-blade youth.

Best of luck in the quest!
vontech

Post by vontech »

Toughbeard, I only started wetshaving in January, and to date, your experiences seem almost EXACTLY like mine! I figured I might NEVER get used to wetshaving.

HOWEVER, after all this time, after all the practice, and all the excellent advice, I'm finally getting great shaves.

It really does get easier. It just takes a lot of time and practice.

Hang in there, use SHARP blades, watch your angle, and use the best lubricating soap/cream you can find. I find that Will G's Shea Butter Soap from Ebay is BY FAR the best for me. Unfortunately, Will temporarily closed his EBay store after he had knee surgery on March 9th.

Maybe someone here has an extra cake? I'm working on my last one now...
-- Tom

"Used to be" a SHAVEGEEK, now recovered (sob!)