Shaving and the Gospel . . . really . . .

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
ahc

Shaving and the Gospel . . . really . . .

Post by ahc »

I've been lurking here, with great results for my shaves, for several months. Thanks to all the regulars for the great tips and the spirit of the place.

I'm a writer for, among other outlets, the magazine Books & Culture: A Christian Review and recently wrote an essay about the world of wet shaving. In a humorous sequence of events, a pastor friend of mine named Daniel Harrell picked up the article and used portions of it for a sermon, which was subsequently picked up by none other than the ShaveBlogger himself.

For those of you interested in reading the full piece (which starts out with some of the nuts and bolts of the wet shaving movement and moves on to reflections on manhood, the Odyssey, and the Christian doctrine of salvation, believe it or not), it's now available here: The Best a Man Can Get.

Cheers -

Andy Crouch
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Andy,
Wonderful piece. I enjoy your style of writing. I hope you stick around SMF to learn and share knowledge. All voices here are equal and welcome.
Pull up your favorite chair, sit back, and sit for a spell.
DEF

Post by DEF »

Hey, Andy!

Welcome to SMF, and thanks for sharing your article. I did pick up the sermon through Shaveblog, and with all respect to Pastor Harrell, I thought the transition was a bit forced. How interesting it is to read your original and find what had been missing. As a writer myself who was raised in fundamentalist Christian churches before becoming steeped in more humanist perspectives, I respect anyone who can approach the feast of redemption via wetshaving, Camus and Homer. It's good to see doctrine draw context from these cultural touchstones, rather than be at odds with them. Very nice work -- well conceived and well executed! =D>
Doug
honkdonker

Post by honkdonker »

are you the Andrae Crouch? :)
Onion

Post by Onion »

Andy, Great article... Please stick around and add to the mix here.
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Thanks for that Andy!
Wonderfully put together and even with my limited understanding.... I understood it!

Great stuff.

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

Andy,

That was a very enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
growler

Post by growler »

Very nice piece. Enjoyed it thoroughly.