Boots

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

Boots

Post by blackgrass »

Has anyone ever own a pair of Red Wings or Chippewa boots?
I am looking for a nice pair of work/kicking-around boots that are made in the USA with a vintage look to them. I have found a couple of styles from both Chippewa and Red Wing that I really like. My favorites are a pair of Red Wings that are only available in Europe! :evil:

http://www.volls.de/shop/index.php?cat= ... RW-24-1909

I hate it that an American company markets their classic line of US made boots exclussively to Europe and Japan...but such are the times I guess.
indy

Post by indy »

This is an issue that rears it's ugly head too often with several shoe manufacturers. I guess Red Wing figures they're "targeting" the market for each model they sell. There is a thread over on Fedora Lounge that may have some helpful leads: http://www.thefedoralounge.net/showthread.php?t=4458
You may also be able to find a shoe store in a country that carries the European line that would be willing to ship to you. I know that Canadian stores get the European line.
Cheers,
Bill

Shorty......Where's my razor?!
-Indiana Jones, Temple of Doom
Ben

Post by Ben »

I bought a pair of Redwings in 1998. I keep 'em oiled, and they're still going strong today. Nice boots.
OilPull

Post by OilPull »

I am a big believer in Red Wing boots. I grew up on a farm and solid, protective footwear was a big priority. It was important to have a boot that performed on the shop floor as well as it did out in the field, and it helped to have boots that didn't get too hot or heavy as the day wore on. My grand-dad wore Red Wings, so did my dad and so do I.

I've worn other boots, including English-made Doc Martens (i.e. 'real' Doc Martens) in my high-school and college days, as well as a few other brands and Red Wings are the best I've tried. Unfortunately, I've not worn Chippewa's before, so I can't give you a direct comparison. I can just tell you that, most likely, won't be dissapointed if you buy Red Wings.

I can't address the issue of what's available in the US vs. what's available in Europe, but I do have one piece of advice to share about buying Red Wings: Go to the Red Wings store. Don't bother with the Internet or catalogues, go to the store.

The reason I say this is because the last two times I bought boots there, they measured both my feet and broke up two pair they had in stock to get me one pair with a more custom fit. Specifically, they sold me an 11 for one foot and an 11.5 for the other. Both times. I didn't even remember it the second time until the guy mentioned that he thought I needed two different sizes.

Also, if you buy from the store, they'll usually throw in a couple pairs of socks and give you free laces and water-proofing treatment for the life of the shoes. I usually go in once in the fall and they replace the laces and condition the leather for free while I wait. Totally worth it, I think.

I'm sorry for rambling on, but as you can tell, I can't say enough good things about Red Wing boots. I go to the Red Wing's store in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Hopefully, you'll be able to find one in your neck of the woods.

- Bryan
A desk is a dangerous place to watch the world.
blackgrass

Post by blackgrass »

Thanks! All great suggestions.
Is there actually a Red Wing store that sell nothing but Red Wing or are you talking about an authorized retailor?
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

There are red wing stores throughout most of the land. Look in you yellow pages.
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Austin wrote:There are red wing stores throughout most of the land. Look in you yellow pages.
We have one here. I've had a pair with steel toe for 10-12 years. They are GREAT! I too take em in once a year for the waterproofing and new laces and usually a new insole. I've had them re-soled once. IF mine ever wear out I'll surely buy another pair. 8)
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
indy

Post by indy »

blackgrass wrote:Thanks! All great suggestions.
Is there actually a Red Wing store that sell nothing but Red Wing or are you talking about an authorized retailor?
If you go to a US store you won't find the European line and they won't be able to order them for you either; I've tried. What you need is a willing Canadian or European vendor to ship the model you want to you.
Cheers,
Bill

Shorty......Where's my razor?!
-Indiana Jones, Temple of Doom
blackgrass

Post by blackgrass »

Austin wrote:There are red wing stores throughout most of the land. Look in you yellow pages.
Well....I live in Arkansas so shoe stores are pretty scarce around these parts! :roll:

Actually what I have found is sereral shoe stores that will carry one or two styles of Red Wings and that is about it for their stock. I did find a Red Wing store that looks promising so I am going to try and swing by there this weekend. I'm pretty excited to hear about the sales staff taking good measurements and even going to the point of splitting pairs.

The pair I'm looking at cost around $120 compared to the European pair that I REALLY like at about $325 or so.
At any rate....Red Wing sounds like a pretty top notch company.
Thanks all!
Onion

Post by Onion »

I am rough on boots and I have NEVER had a pair last more than a year untill I got a pair of Red Wings. I keep 'em oiled and they just keep on keepin on. I swear by my Redwings... I will never buy any other boot again. I also happen to LOVE the redwing boot dryer... that was a gift from my mother in law.... It is an amazing thing....
ForestryProf

Post by ForestryProf »

Allow me to offer a differing opinion. I've owned Red Wings, several pair in fact; I agree they are good boots. However, if you want GREAT boots, get a pair of White's:
http://www.whitesboots.com/
Hand made in Spokane, WA and built to last a lifetime (for most). I spend a lot of time in the woods and I have gone about 12 years between rebuilds on my White's. The best boots I've ever owned.
Ed
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

blackgrass wrote:
Well....I live in Arkansas so shoe stores are pretty scarce around these parts! :roll:

Actually what I have found is sereral shoe stores that will carry one or two styles of Red Wings and that is about it for their stock. I did find a Red Wing store that looks promising so I am going to try and swing by there this weekend. I'm pretty excited to hear about the sales staff taking good measurements and even going to the point of splitting pairs.

The pair I'm looking at cost around $120 compared to the European pair that I REALLY like at about $325 or so.
Thanks all!
:shock: :lol: :twisted:

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Being from Minnesota, and growing up near Redwing, I have to tell you I am a fan of Redwing boots. They're nice shoes and last forever. That being said...

I have a pair of these: http://tinyurl.com/rv7ah

They're Carolina boots. Had them since 1997. So, nearly 10 years. I wear them all the time in the fall and winter. I use them for casual wear or when I am working outdoors. I wear them in the morning when I am eating my bowl of oatmeal. I wear them in the afternoon when I am eating my bowl of oatmeal. I wear them in the evening when I am eating my bowl of oatmeal. And I wear them at night when I go to bed. Never in the shower though. I've put a lot of miles on these here boots. And I will probably put a lot more on them.

Thing is, they keep getting better and better. They look better after a bit of wear and tear. They fit better and are more comfortable now than when I first bought them. I have yet to replace anything but the laces. Everything else is still original. Worn, but original. I could get another 15 years out of these boots.

Just thought I'd run them by you since I believe they have a vintage look.
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

I have had a pair of redwings boots for about 4 yrs now and they have been a great pair of boots. I haven't had to replace them, resole them or do anything other than conditioniing and cleaning them when they need it.

I would reccomend them to anyone anywhere.
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Hugo wrote:Being from Minnesota, and growing up near Redwing, I have to tell you I am a fan of Redwing boots. They're nice shoes and last forever. That being said...

They're Carolina boots. Had them since 1997. So, nearly 10 years. I wear them all the time in the fall and winter. I use them for casual wear or when I am working outdoors. I wear them in the morning when I am eating my bowl of oatmeal. I wear them in the afternoon when I am eating my bowl of oatmeal. I wear them in the evening when I am eating my bowl of oatmeal. And I wear them at night when I go to bed. Never in the shower though. I've put a lot of miles on these here boots. And I will probably put a lot more on them.

Thing is, they keep getting better and better. They look better after a bit of wear and tear. They fit better and are more comfortable now than when I first bought them. I have yet to replace anything but the laces. Everything else is still original. Worn, but original. I could get another 15 years out of these boots.

Must be the oatmeal. :lol:
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

Austin wrote:
Hugo wrote:Being from Minnesota, and growing up near Redwing, I have to tell you I am a fan of Redwing boots. They're nice shoes and last forever. That being said...

Must be the oatmeal. :lol:
Yep.

Post by z »

Frye still makes some great products right here in the USA.

http://www.fryeboots.com/

I have some of the Harness 12R boots and they are *outstanding*.

Frye's "Logger" or "Engineer" boots might be more along the lines of a typical Redwing.

http://www.fryeboots.com/subpages/catal ... GGER&gen=2
http://www.fryeboots.com/subpages/catal ... NEER&gen=2

Or perhaps their seasonal "Arkansas" boot:
http://www.fryeboots.com/subpages/catal ... goToPage=1

http://zappos.com/ carries the Frye line.
Zach
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

I guess you Americans don't care about these kind of boots:

Dubarry from Ireland

Magellan&Mulloy from England

These are countryboots; Dubarry is made in Ireland whereas Magellan&Mulloy is made in England; fully handmade of the very best leather and Goretex lined; very suitable for a country stroll, hunting, fishing, gardening and whatsoever; needless to say that i have a pair of each and a second pair of Dubarries with a short shaft.

Peter
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

The nicest boots I've ever owned are made by Altberg in England. It's a small operation that I believe only employs five or six people. They make hiking, military, and motorcycle boots of the highest quality.

Rick
mark the shoeshine boy

Post by mark the shoeshine boy »

rtaylor61 wrote:
blackgrass wrote:

Thanks all!
:shock: :lol: :twisted:

Randy
:lol: :lol: :lol:

they ain't got many shoes ....period... in Arkansas !!!!

seriously...they make red wings about 40 minutes from where i am sitting...if you can make it to farmington, we have a real good store that has both...left and right ones !!!!

cherokees and redwings....I have a pair of cherokees and they do a fine job for what little use they get...

mark tssb
SHAVE AND A HAIRCUT...WAIT A SECOND WHAT ABOUT A SHOESHINE, TOO ????