Elements of perfection...

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
kd7kip

Elements of perfection...

Post by kd7kip »

Gentleman:

We've all discussed endlessly about the various hardware items of our shaving, i.e., razors, blades, brushes, cremes, soaps, scuttles, balms, EDTs, EDC, etc. However, I think you would all agree that there are certain things that contribute to that rare perfect shave which cannot be so easily defined, but are nonetheless the sine qua non of perfection.

Example: My best shaves are Sunday morning, because I don't shave Saturday, and the longer growth always seems to lead to a better cut. (I also get up early, while wife and kids are still down, so that I am not interrupted).

Second example often mentioned by others: Shaving after strenuous activity, such as mowing the lawn. Great shave!

Thoughts, please?

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I've been shaving early in the morning while the rest of the household is asleep, and it's definitely an element of perfection right now.
I often muse that if I have too much time to shave I'll end up experimenting and do something to detract from perfection.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
letterk
Vendor

Post by letterk »

I was actually thinking about starting a thread like this. Like you, Sunday morning shaves are usually great because of the day off on Saturday. The other critical step, for me, is to NOT wash my face prior to shaving. I didn't wash this past weekend trying to recover from a terrible reaction to a cream. In spite of a rather raw face, not washing led to one of my best shaves ever. I've kept it up and have reached a new level of shavedom.

I do wash my face other times during the day. I'm not gross. :?
John

WestCoastShaving.com - The Original DE Blade Sampler Packs, Shavemac, Proraso, Merkur, Valobra, Pre de Provence and more!
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

The day off is a recent discovery for me too; any time I skip a day, I always get the smoothest most irritation free shave I can get. I'm wondering if it's because I'm being a little bit too heavy handed, and I get away with it when I have slightly more growth.

Not washing my face beforehand helps, and shaving before a shower seems to suit me better for some reason...I have quite oily skin, so maybe when I wash/shower beforehand, I'm washing away some extra lubrication. I've also noticed I get a better shave if I do it at night before I go to bed (and if I get it really close, I'm still stubble free in the morning).

Not sure about shaving after exercising though; if I ever break a sweat, I'll let you know.... :lol:
Sláinte!
Marty
danamr

Re: Elements of perfection...

Post by danamr »

kd7kip wrote:Gentleman:
Example: My best shaves are Sunday morning, because I don't shave Saturday, and the longer growth always seems to lead to a better cut. (I also get up early, while wife and kids are still down, so that I am not interrupted).

Second example often mentioned by others: Shaving after strenuous activity, such as mowing the lawn. Great shave!

Thoughts, please?

-Scott
If by best, you mean closest, I would agree, I get the best shave on a one or more day growth. I generally don't shave on Fridays, and some weekends, and I get a great shave Monday.
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

Add me to the list. I always get my best shaves after skipping a day. For some reason, they're closer.

Rick
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Are the shaves after a skip day closer? Or do they just feel closer by contrast with the stubble?
This seems similar to when people claim hair grows faster when you shave it. That one's a perception thing rather than any stimulation to the hair follicles.
I haven't skipped a day's shave in a long time, which is why I ask.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
indy

Post by indy »

Knowing when to stop has been an element I've been working on. I tend to keep shaving beyond a great shave and can end up doing more harm than good.

I've noticed that even though I can stretch the skin and feel a small bit of stubble, once I've rinsed, dried and balmed my face it feels BB smooth. It's as if the hair retracts beneith the skin once dry again.

Being and anal retentive perfectionist by nature, it's been a difficult lesson for me to learn, but I'm getting better shaves more often having identified the issue.
Cheers,
Bill

Shorty......Where's my razor?!
-Indiana Jones, Temple of Doom
letterk
Vendor

Post by letterk »

I'd say minimally closer. The biggest plus, for me, for skipping a day is that it seems to let me skin recover a little more. It's like my face gets tired of shaving all week and needs a day off.
John

WestCoastShaving.com - The Original DE Blade Sampler Packs, Shavemac, Proraso, Merkur, Valobra, Pre de Provence and more!
Ben

Post by Ben »

My best results are realized in the evening and at night. I can look forward to the shave as a nightcap or sorts. It's a relaxing way to end the day, particularly after a nice shower. Additionally, I have the time to heap on the luxuries.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Ichabod wrote:Are the shaves after a skip day closer? Or do they just feel closer by contrast with the stubble?
That's a good point. It is entirely possible that the effect is psychological in part, but I do usually get a very comfortable, irritation-free shave. I guess my face just appreciates getting a break from having a razor dragged across it!
Sláinte!
Marty
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

I have to say that I definitely get a much closer shave after a day or 2 of resting my face. I'm not sure if it's because my face has had a chance to "heal" or if it's because the longer whiskers are softer and easier to cut, but I'm leaning toward the latter. The longer my beard grows, the softer it gets.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

indy wrote:Knowing when to stop has been an element I've been working on.
Precisely! I used to find myself going over the same spots in order to get the last little bits of stubble, only to scalp the area (and leave the stubble).

Something else, often touted, which does not work for me is stretching the skin-- I do better with a very light touch of the razor, and a very sharp blade (i.e., a Feather).

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...