So, critique this before I waste some money

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BPJ

So, critique this before I waste some money

Post by BPJ »

I'm 26 and HATE shaving. Have facial hair not unlike that found on an orge's ass. Just painful to shave :( I only shave every other day or so since it's so unpleasant.

Tried all the disposables out there, and several higher end electrics ($200+) with no luck, just tear my face up. Guess it's a combo of delicate skin and tough hair. I've thought about going the electrolisys way, but a bit expensive right now.

So was looking at switching from my current ways. I've found that 3 blade Shicks have worked best, and Dove soap for shaving cream. It works suprisingly well, I guess because it's so moisturerizing.

I've been looking at getting a full set of mug/brush/razor/cream/etc. at once instead of piecing things together over time.

Brush:

Vulfix #375 Super Badger ($60)
Vulfix #2234 Super Badger ($60) Dunno the difference between the 2...
Vulfix #403 Best Badger ($40) Worth the extra $20 for the Super?

Razor:

Merkur Heavy Classic ($30)
Merkur Heavy Classic Open Comb ($30) Whut's the difference?
Merkur Heavy Classic Slant Bar ($30) Slanted head?

Blade:

Feather "Hi Stainless Platinum" ($10)

Cream/Soap:

Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream ($13)
Proraso Shaving Cream ($10)

Mug:

Classic "Super Mug" Extra Large Shaving Mug ($12)

Follow-up:

Trumper's Skin Food
Taylor of Old Bond Street Aftershave Gel

I'd like to stay around $125 starting out. I can ditch stuff like the mug to save a few bucks...can use a cereal bowl even.

But was curious what folks thought if this list was decent, and I should just choose from these, or if there is something that would be a much better deal for the $$$.

Have to shave tomorrow, so looking forward to getting something new that may help as quick as I can.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Re: So, critique this before I waste some money

Post by rtaylor61 »

BPJ wrote:I'm 26 and HATE shaving. Have facial hair not unlike that found on an orge's ass. Just painful to shave :( I only shave every other day or so since it's so unpleasant.

Tried all the disposables out there, and several higher end electrics ($200+) with no luck, just tear my face up. Guess it's a combo of delicate skin and tough hair. I've thought about going the electrolisys way, but a bit expensive right now.

So was looking at switching from my current ways. I've found that 3 blade Shicks have worked best, and Dove soap for shaving cream. It works suprisingly well, I guess because it's so moisturerizing.

I've been looking at getting a full set of mug/brush/razor/cream/etc. at once instead of piecing things together over time.

Brush:

Vulfix #375 Super Badger ($60)
Vulfix #2234 Super Badger ($60) Dunno the difference between the 2...
Vulfix #403 Best Badger ($40) Worth the extra $20 for the Super?

Razor:

Merkur Heavy Classic ($30)
Merkur Heavy Classic Open Comb ($30) Whut's the difference?
Merkur Heavy Classic Slant Bar ($30) Slanted head?

Blade:

Feather "Hi Stainless Platinum" ($10)

Cream/Soap:

Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream ($13)
Proraso Shaving Cream ($10)

Mug:

Classic "Super Mug" Extra Large Shaving Mug ($12)

Follow-up:

Trumper's Skin Food
Taylor of Old Bond Street Aftershave Gel

I'd like to stay around $125 starting out. I can ditch stuff like the mug to save a few bucks...can use a cereal bowl even.

But was curious what folks thought if this list was decent, and I should just choose from these, or if there is something that would be a much better deal for the $$$.

Have to shave tomorrow, so looking forward to getting something new that may help as quick as I can.
I've highlighted my choices, based on what you are looking at. Stay away from the Feather blades to start with. Check out ebay and run a search for Israeli Personna blades. Start with those. For after shave, start with Natureade Aloe 80. $9 bucks buys a 2 year supply, and it will have other uses.

Best of luck!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Hugo
Paranoid Schizophrenic

Post by Hugo »

From your list I'd recommend these items:
Vulfix #375 Super Badger
Merkur Heavy Classic
Taylor of Old Bond Street Lavender Shaving Cream
After Shaves are a very personal thing and I'd recommend going to your local Target and looking for the Proraso A/S -- while you are there you might as well pick up the Pre/Post Cream and the Shave Cream as well.
Skip the Feather blades -- you are not ready for these. Go to Wal-Mart or Walgreen's and pick up the generic 10 pack of DE blades for under $2.

Post by zip22 »

you could try growing a beard if you really have that much trouble ;)
stuff495

Post by stuff495 »

I don't think you need to spend any money on a mug. Just use a mug or extra large cup you have lying around. You can find a cup that should work for about $5 at most stores if you really need to, but you probably already have something.

--Vincent
cigar-&-Shave

Post by cigar-&-Shave »

stuff495 wrote:I don't think you need to spend any money on a mug. Just use a mug or extra large cup you have lying around. You can find a cup that should work for about $5 at most stores if you really need to, but you probably already have something.

--Vincent
Right you are, Vince! He shouldn't buy a mug now, because he'll surely buy a Moss Scuttle later... that is, once the wetshaving madness has seized him. :D
stuff495

Post by stuff495 »

stuff495 wrote:I don't think you need to spend any money on a mug. Just use a mug or extra large cup you have lying around. You can find a cup that should work for about $5 at most stores if you really need to, but you probably already have something.

--Vincent
Ooop, forgot to mention: The truth is that in the years that I've been wetshaving as a hobby I've bought a few mugs. I got most of them at goodwill, or other thrift stores, for an average cost of about a buck.

--Vincent
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I would suggest starting with an injector razor. The thicker blade may be easier on your skin. The trick then becomes finding an injector in good shape. You could post a want ad in the Selling/Trading forum.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

BPJ, Pull up a chair, kick off your shoes, and get comfy, you're going to be here awhile. Over the last three years or so, you might be surprised how many new visitors to this, and other shave forums, have sent in posts pretty much like yours. A lot of those guys are much more contented, and effective shavers today, as a result of the guidance they got, coupled with a bit of willingness and patience on their part. Most of them said the same things; "....I only can shave twice a week.." "...my face gets too sore..." "...it hurts!.." "....I could NEVER shave every day!..." etc. Most of them shave daily now, and often actually look forward to it, believe it or not. But, you need to know that traditional wetshaving is not an instant 'magic bullet'. There are little skills that have to be learned, before the really good shaves start to happen. This unavoidable learning curve may be a bit frustrating at times, but, you will get through it, if you listen to what is said here, and you hang in with it. The average period for the basic learning curve is perhaps about a month, give or take.

Now to your list. Those are all fine products you have listed. A Schick Injector razor would be easier to start with ( very little learning curve ) but, for that you'd have to go to ebay, or maybe find a member here who has one to sell. Of the new models you mentioned, I'd second everyone else on the HD model. More newbies on the forums have learned with that razor then probably any other. Since you're ordering all this stuff anyway, from Classic presumably, I have them throw in some Merkur blades as well. They're consistant, reliable, and work well in that razor. No Feathers for now. Either of those Vulfix Supers make excellent brushes for the starting wetshaver. They lather cream very easily, and are comfortable to use. Go ahead and spend the few extra bucks for a Super, it's worth the money. Taylor shave creams are among the best, at any price. As was said, aftershave products are a VERY personal matter, but since you suggested it, I'd go ahead and get a small bottle of the Trumper's Lime Skin Food. It's one of the most widely used, and highly respected A/S products on the shave forums, and most gents have good luck with it.

Remember, your first DE shaves will probably not be that great. If you accept that ahead of time, it helps. This will take some time, and probably some 'Help!' type posts/questions on your part. DEs are not used like multi-blade cartridges. There have been numerous posts on the subject, if you can find them through the search function. Best of luck, and keep us posted.
Regards,
Gordon
BPJ

Post by BPJ »

Wow thanks for the quick replies all, didn't expect so much so fast. I've been reading a few days on various sites about this sort of shaving. And I know that anytime switching razors/techniques/etc. you have to give it a few days, if not weeks to a month for things to "even out" or the "newness" to wear off (or on?).

I kinda have to shave for work. And I don't like the look/feel of a beard.

I can shave and it still looks like I haven't shaved :(

Only problem I'm having is finding a place that carries everything, don't wanna have to go to different places. Classic seems to have everything except for the Skin Food.

I'm kinda wary of buying anything used...

I'm partial to the Skin Food as I've read it doesn't have a fragrance, and I don't do the smelly stuff, so as little smelly to it as possible is better.

Doesn't seem like too far off base with the selection I've narrowed it down to. Just gotta find the best deal now...
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Get the standard Merkur, not the open comb.

Probably start with other blades than Feather. Just not the Gillettes you can find in your local store - most others are OK.

Those brushes where you asked what the difference is between two similar models, the answer is: only the shape of the handle.

A dollar store mug is probably just as good as the $12 one.

Hope this helps.
BPJ

Post by BPJ »

Forgot to mention, only reason I considered the mug was because it came with a bar of shaving soap. That way I'd be able to try out cream vs. soap and see what I thought. So it ends up being about $6 for the mug, if the soap is about $5 or $6

I'll wait until tomorrow and read through here again before buying anything. Thanks again guys.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

If it comes with a good recognized brand of soap, go for it. If it's just some soap, don't bother.
Red Bob

Post by Red Bob »

Welcome to the Fray!

I posted a message similar to yours when I first started out..........only about a month ago (seems like longer).

I would guess the majority of SMFers would recommend the Merkur Heavy Classic. I agree it is the best of the ones you listed. But consider the Progress before you buy. It was my 1st DE and I am very happy with it, as I can adjust the settings and find this to be most useful for different areas of my face (esp. the lip area).

So, if you're on a $125 budget (which is about what I spent, as well), here's my 2cents:

Merkur Progress $40
Vulfix #375 $60 (what I bought, as well..........good brush)
Taylor cream $13
Classicshaving soap $5
Styptic $3
Merkur blades $5

Keep in mind: I've not been doing this very long, so listen to those more experienced, senior members before me. I just thought I'd weigh in on the matter, as I really appreciated it when everyone here was so helpful (and still are) when I started. I purposefully left off the aftershave stuff. You can email Trumpers at enquiries@trumpers.com and ask for samples, which arrived in about a week for me. They will include a generous portion of skin food that will likely last you a while, thus lowering your initial out of pocket expense. Also, the Proraso items are available at Target, so you can just pick them up there (aftershave is awesome and most everyone here loves the cream).

Also, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of Israeli Personna blades to try, as I've found them to be the best I've tried so far (another recommendation learned on SMF). Which brings me to my last point: get on SMF often and the gang here will answer most (if not all) of your questions and they'll be ultra nice and entertaining, to boot =D>

Shave on!
“When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves.” Viktor Frankl

paero123

Post by paero123 »

Just take any $5 fixed Gillette DE safety bar razor at ebay (no red tip one), 2$ Palmolive shaving cream (brushless), any after shave balm and with this equipment check out please whether you will like classic wetshaving or not
Ben

Post by Ben »

BPJ wrote:I'm kinda wary of buying anything used...
If you like vintage razors, then this will be a part of the deal in most cases. Absolutely unused razors come with a hefty premium. This is a complete waste until you know you love traditional wetshaving. On the other hand, you can pick up a gently used razor for a song. Scrub the razor with a toothbrush and toothpaste, boil the razor, and soak it in hydrogen peroxide after it has cooled from the boil. If the razor has moving parts that feel tight after the cleaning, hit 'em with mineral oil.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

I think the advice you got about using an injector is probably the best idea if your beard is really tough. The thicker blades will make life a lot easier. You can get one from someone here (if available) or from Ebay (risky).

I would also discourage you from starting with Feather blades. It's a complication you don't need.

As for your other products, they're all good, and you won't be able to tell the difference for a while anyhow. For that reason you might consider starting with an inexpensive setup, like a drugstore brush and soap or cream. When you know what you're doing, you will be in a good position to spend your money on what will really be best for you. Buying expensive stuff now is an unnecessary commitment, and it may not be what will end up best for you.

If you insist on going to a DE (advantageous because you can buy new ones), your best bet is the Merkur Progress. I'm suggesting it for it's adjustability. With your history you can't be sure a fixed razor will work for you. If it turns out to be too aggressive it may slow your progress or even frustrate you into quitting. The adjustable razor is a little more insurance. Of course there are also adjustable injectors, but they're hard to come by and very expensive.

Everything that's been suggested to you will require that you learn some technique and be patient. If you want to get an idea of the basics involved, go to the gallery and read my primer on wet shaving. You need to be prepared to make that commitment if you want to succeed.
Joe
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Isn't there a new version of the Injector about to be relaunched? I remember a post about this within the last couple of months. Injectors really are fool proof and very kind to the skin. You can just shave with the grain for a week or two and then maybe try going across. You're going to love it!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

drmoss_ca wrote:Isn't there a new version of the Injector about to be relaunched? I remember a post about this within the last couple of months.
I hear dribs and drabs of this. I also have heard that it will be a simple offering of old stock. I don't know which is true, but I'd buy one either way if the price is reasonable.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Last I heard about injectors, the person who made the excited announcement came back sadly to inform us that just one individual store (one where he had been shopping, obviously) was planning to sell off its back stock, and that the Schick company said no, they weren't going to re-introduce an injector.