Deodorant Part XXVIXX

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

Mitchum. I have never had any itchiness or rash from it, although it is supposed to be strong stuff.

I use the unscented clear gel, just a little bit. Very effective.

Greg
Mike_gman

Re: Deodorant Part XXVIXX

Post by Mike_gman »

rustyblade wrote:I'm going to bring the deodorant topic up as again I am on the hunt for a good unscented or very lightly scented and effective deo. Again.

I touted Adidas Ice Dive as a decent deodorant with a somewhat decent lime scent a while back, but it doesn't seem to cut the mustard on a long hot day and is giving me irritation now and then. Also, like most scented deodorants I begin to really hate the scent after a while.

I have had good luck with the performance of Speed Stick deodorant. This stuff will protect you against odour for 24hrs easy, even in the summer. Problem is the available scents are wretched. If is was available in unscented, my problems would be solved.

I don't really like anti-perspirants, they seem to be available in unscented though. Many brands, in fact.

The crystal alum-based deodorants work if you sit in an office all day and push paper, but not if you actually move around and sweat a little. They are adequate for a light weekend, but thats all.

I tried Jason unscented deodorant, again very short-lived.

Nearly all the major brands of deodorant have overpowering artificial chemical scents (that overpower one's EDT) with stupid names like Mountain Sport! and Ocean Surf! that are headache inducing and best and vomit inducing at their worst.

On the opposite end I have tried C&E Sandalwood and Taylor Sandalwood, the C&E wearing away shockingly fast at $16 a stick, and Taylor being too overscented, and also expensive.

I am really lost, and maybe you guys have some new ideas? Is aluminum in antiperspirants that bad? Maybe I should just pick up a stick of Arm&Hammer unscented antiperspirant and be done with it.
Richard,

I have been using a deodorant ( scentless ) by "SHARPS" You can find it on line at Menessentials.com
It is I believe... $11 and not bad.
I think for the price line you may be looking.. it is pretty good.
Now... there is one other one that I am aware of but it is a little more expensive and it is also sold at Menessentials. It is made by MenScience.
It is $17... But I think it is better than the Sharps product. While they are very similar, the MScience brand seems to glide on easier.
They are both fairly effective for odor.

Mike
Mikey
enlightenment

Post by enlightenment »

I just stumbled upon L'Occitane Deodorant. It has the Eau de L'Occitan scent and seems to work ok.
JAL1639

Post by JAL1639 »

I have to use an anti-perspirant, if I don't my sox will be dripping wet!! I sweat A LOT using anti-perspirants. I use arm-n-hammer, the sent does not bother me.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

JAL1639 wrote:I have to use an anti-perspirant, if I don't my sox will be dripping wet!! I sweat A LOT using anti-perspirants. I use arm-n-hammer, the sent does not bother me.
I'll second the Arm and Hammer. If I don't use anti-antiperspirant, I get those nasty wet spots under my arms. The arm and hammer comes in an unscented variety, rinses OK, and works.
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

I started using the Mitchum unscented gel for sensitive skin-- so far, so good although I am not a particularly sweaty guy.

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

rustyblade wrote:It is an antiperspirant, correct?

I'm trying to avoid them, but it doesn't look like I can find a strong unscented deodorant, I checked Auravita and feelbest.com and they don't have any.
Unscented deodorant is like oil-free oil. It isn't really possible.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

notthesharpest wrote:
rustyblade wrote:It is an antiperspirant, correct?

I'm trying to avoid them, but it doesn't look like I can find a strong unscented deodorant, I checked Auravita and feelbest.com and they don't have any.
Unscented deodorant is like oil-free oil. It isn't really possible.
Most deodorants contain triclosan which I believe to be the active ingredient. I don't think the scent is there just to mask the odor or else I would just spray my EDT of the day under there.

I am still searching for the perfect deo.
Richard
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

Antiperspirants work by blocking the sweat ducts, is this harmful in the long run ? I have heard that it causes breast cancer. is this just an urban myth ?
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I would just like to mention that after much experimentation and smelly armpits at the end of the day, I've gone back to my old standby. Speed Stick Original scent, which is the least offensive of all their rotten scents. This deodorant just works. Crystal deodorants will just not go the distance. The granola organic garbage deodorants are also equally bad.

I would also like to take this opportunity to publicly lambaste those idiots that name these stupid deodorants. What the hell does Pacific Breeze, or Arctic Blast, or Cool Fusion and Fresh Rush mean? WTF?

Metallic Ice, Glacial Falls, After Hours, Phoenix, Clix.... They go on and on. Is this meant to appeal to the dribbling Nascar crowd or something? I know the scents themselves must. There's an idea...Nascar scent, that will sell.

It annoys the heck out of me. Drives me mad.

Thanks for listening. :lol:
Richard
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I have smelled the real Pacific Breeze. It smells like rotting seaweed, mixed with bilge water from cargo ships. (I wonder why?) :D
shaveC

Post by shaveC »

shaveC wrote:I like the Redzone. The High Endurance used to burn like hell and give me rashes every so often. The Redzone does the trick for me, they are scented, however I don't find them overbearing.
Exactly. +1 for OS Red Zone
tom10168

Post by tom10168 »

Why does it matter what your deodorant smells like anyways? It's not like the scent is glowing about you like a cologne would.
jslfl

Post by jslfl »

rustyblade wrote:Maybe I should just pick up a stick of Arm&Hammer unscented antiperspirant and be done with it.

Was it a long or short drive? :lol:

I know you didn't want an antiperspirant but the Arm&Hammer unscented is the onlyone that works for me. No smell, no stains, no itchy pits, no worries.
Steve/Bronco

Post by rustyblade »

jslfl wrote:
rustyblade wrote:Maybe I should just pick up a stick of Arm&Hammer unscented antiperspirant and be done with it.

Was it a long or short drive? :lol:

I know you didn't want an antiperspirant but the Arm&Hammer unscented is the onlyone that works for me. No smell, no stains, no itchy pits, no worries.
I can't stand antiperspirant. I can barely wash the crap off at the end of the day, I have to wash my pits three times before it finally comes off.
Richard
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

rustyblade wrote: I can't stand antiperspirant. I can barely wash the crap off at the end of the day, I have to wash my pits three times before it finally comes off.
Think of how soft your beard gets during all that shower time!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

ScottS wrote:
rustyblade wrote: I can't stand antiperspirant. I can barely wash the crap off at the end of the day, I have to wash my pits three times before it finally comes off.
Think of how soft your beard gets during all that shower time!
I find myself rushing through the shower so I have more time to shave. Pretty sad isn't it?
Richard
addicted

Post by addicted »

rustyblade wrote:I would just like to mention that after much experimentation and smelly armpits at the end of the day, I've gone back to my old standby. Speed Stick Original scent, which is the least offensive of all their rotten scents. This deodorant just works. Crystal deodorants will just not go the distance. The granola organic garbage deodorants are also equally bad.
Out of curiosity, have you tried reapplying crystal throughout the day? I've recently switched to crystal from my trustry white chalky Clinique anit-prespirant and the results seem to be pretty good so far. While I do sit in the office and push papers, I work out daily. I sweat quite a lot on a threadmill but it does seem to prevent the smell more than Clinique. I reapply it right before starting the workout.
DEwey

Post by DEwey »

I've read through all the thoughts here and I think my skin is a bit different from most of the gents'. The issue I have is not odor nor scent of the product - but I do perspire heavily. My real problem is that I experience severe irritation after using deodorants, some antiperspiants and all of the "invisible solids" - especially at night after using it that morning. I wondered if anyone knows if I might be sensitive to the chemical scents and if essential oil deodorants are available. Has anyone used them?
DEwey
Straights, Gem 1912, & Grandpa's '66 Gillette Superspeed______________________________
Google Ron Paul
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what will be lunch, LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote,"Benjamin Franklin