How mechanically inclined are you?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).

Are you Mr. Fix-It?

I'd grab my toolbox and disassemble the furnace until I found the trouble.
21%
I'd take a look, but hey, it's a gas appliance. Best left to professionals.
56%
My neighbor's really good about stuff like this, and he lets me help.
No votes
I'd tap the thermostat a few times, then Google for local repair companies.
10%
Life's too short. Just call a pro, then go out to the neighborhood cafe for breakfast.
14%

Total votes: 63

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The poll choices are a little hard to understand.

There are things I know I can fix, things I know I can't fix, and things that require further investigation. In this case, considering that a poorly-repaired gas furnace can potentially be a life-and-death situation for a whole neighbourhood, I would be very reluctant to try my hand at anything that wasn't easy and obvious.
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

I think that I have SOME technical skill when it comes to tinkering with things other than electronics. I would have no trouble taking something apart, only if I wouldn't void the warranty, but getting it back together would e a whole other story! :lol: ! I usually seek out a resource that tells me what to do such as an online guide or a reference manual and have at 'er!

Warmest regards, Niksa
sysiphus

Post by sysiphus »

I'll try anything once. If I can get by with just fixing something, I can fix just about anything.

If it needs to look pretty after I'm done, that's when the trouble starts.
David

Post by kaptain_zero »

I'll fix anything other than a gas furnace or hot water heater... stoves and the rest I can handle, it's the unattended stuff I tend to worry about so yeah, unless it's something simple like a tripped breaker or someone bumped into the thermostat, I just call a pro and go for breakfast. I'll save my shekels on the other repairs instead.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.