Tabac

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Funk I suspect it's body chemistry but Tabac does not work for me and with time the scent gets stronger and less agreeable after being applied. My son likes it alot and his fiance agrees.
Regards,
Squire
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

Sorry for you, Squire.

If it's a choice between smelling like I want, and actually having my personal space invaded, I'm still young enough that I can't but pick the latter.

:lol:
Last edited by funkthulhu on Wed May 18, 2011 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Funk, Do as you wish, but I suggest you continue looking for a decent cologne that you like and that she can, at least, learn to like. Wearing stuff that I think is crap is demoralizing as well as usually giving me a headache.
Regards,
Gordon
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

At least we have very different schedules.

I can generally get away with wearing whatever the hell I want for days on end, then use some of the Ogallala scents she's gotten used to when we're out on the town.

Still, I do like the Tabac, Perhaps in lower quantities with stuff she likes she'll come around. Only time will tell!

Hey, Squire! You're absolutely right! I've got some on today and it really hit its peak about an hour or so after I put it on. I find this interesting as I generally never smell anything I'm wearing after the first 30 minutes unless I'm really trying or I stick my nose down my shirt. In addition to that, the scent actually changes as various ingredients become more prevalent over time.

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

funkthulhu wrote:Addendum:

Saw the significant other briefly this evening. She immediately asked what I was wearing. . . and "You smell like lonely old-fucker."

There was then a discussion on my preferred AS/Colognes and she basically said she doesn't like anything I've ever bought for myself. Also, that the Tabac was "almost as bad as Old Spice", "You smell like someone's Dad", and "Don't wear that again until I'm dead or you're at least 50" (I'm 33 now)

Then again, this is the woman who bought me a little spritzer of Calvin Klein's Crave.

I give up.
I see one or two problems here. It might be better if we don't get into the psychodynamics of scent preferences of cradle-robbing women! I suggest you ask if the "queer stench" from the sealed upper spaces of the Whately place would be preferable.

Chris
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
"In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu wears Tabac"
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

Huzzah, Chris!

I'm rather fond of her for her distinct lack of the Innsmouth-look. . .

Al Sapone

Post by Al Sapone »

I tried it, I agree it lasts longer, but just for a few hours, it is no match for any good EDT/EDP.It costed me something like $ 15 delivered to my door for 50 ml, so it is worth to try.
changabang

Post by changabang »

Funky, I feel for you. Your taste in "old man" scents is courageous for your age. Listen to Gordon. His wisdom in these matters has no peer.
James Nicks
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Funk I suspect it's body chemistry but Tabac does not work for me and with time the scent gets stronger and less agreeable after being applied. My son likes it alot and his fiance agrees.
+1

I notice this especially as very unpleasant next morning when washing it away. I am only talking about the AS though. Well, the deodorant is also most 70s, disco, sweat and to cover all other dirt. No clean man scent.
Jarmo
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

I used the after shave for the first time today. Once it dried down, I liked it. It matched the soap but was much less potent. (A fresh puck of Tabac soap can be used as air freshener!) It lasted a few hours and since I don't wear cologne it worked well for me. The cologne would definitely be too strong. The interesting part was on the initial application. Before it dried down, it had a musty odor that did not match the soap at all. I was initially disappointed. After about 10 minutes, the typical Tabac scent came out. It was mild but persisted. I could catch whiffs of it during the day. As for skin properties: mild burn, moisturizing but not oily. My skin was smooth until the late afternoon stubble grew. Excellent as an aftershave.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Please continue to remember that Tabac edc and Tabac edt are two entirely different animals!
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My Tabac is edc. I assume the "bad" stuff is edt. At least I hope so. If edc is good it comes in a smallish 50 ml size. I love my Tabac shave soap and cream but rarely use the edc because my collection is so large and it not being a particular favorite, has to wait its turn.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Rudley

Post by Rudley »

Love the shaving soap (tallow?). For me, the AS is a bit heavily scented when 1st applied, but after about 45 minutes seems to calm. My sense is that it will see greater use once the Fall weather hits.

Rudley
Climb14er

Post by Climb14er »

It's amazing, I last posted here in this same thread almost three years ago.

Still wearing Tabac and still receive nice compliments.

Must be as mentioned that scents and fragrances mix with one's body chemistry and thence you get the result.

I've worn far more expensive colognes than Tabac... that's an understatement as Tabac is dirt inexpensive.

Yet, it works for me.

I also still use their roll on deodorant and that works equally good. Used to use Lagerfeld Stick deodorant for many years but the Tabac smells better and my body/skin likes it better as well.

The Tabac shaving soap I still use on occasion as it does a fantastic job at providing close protection for my skin.

I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix, eh?

:wink:

BTW, I still use the Naturade Aloe Vera Gel, now known as Lily of the Desert 80 Gel... or something like that.

THIS is the BEST, of course, IMHO, skin after shave, after sun, skin conditioner I have ever used. I must be using this for well over thirty years or there abouts.

Sometimes... the older 'stuff' still works the best!
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

And you heard it here folks from our man in the sky.
Regards,
Squire
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

BTW, I still use the Naturade Aloe Vera Gel, now known as Lily of the Desert 80 Gel... or something like that.

THIS is the BEST, of course, IMHO, skin after shave, after sun, skin conditioner I have ever used. I must be using this for well over thirty years or there abouts.

Sometimes... the older 'stuff' still works the best!
Must be why Musgo Real splash is my ultimate fave, containing Aloe extract. I seldom use anything else except sometimes Speick. But Musgo is more soothing.
Jarmo
stagger

Post by stagger »

Tabac cologne is Da Bomb!! My wife and I both love it. And the shave soap is awesome as well.
Regards,
Mark -